Stupid Technician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Technician

Something happened yesterday at the Firestone I have to tell y'all about.

I stopped by to get a couple new tires. When I returned to pick up my car the tech said, "We noticed your check gauges light was on. We went ahead and pulled the codes, but there weren't any. We messed with the car a little, but couldn't find anything right off the bat. Would you like us to do a deeper analysis? We would have to charge you though."

I said, "No, I know what's wrong with it."

"Oh, is there anything we can do to help you?"

"Not unless you have a can of gas back there. The check gauges light is on because it's low on gas. You are thinking about the check engine light. That's what would through a code." :twak:

So says the tech, "Oohhh..." (you have to say it like you just discovered the meaning of life)

Maybe I just caught them on an off day... I hope.

Lounge Moderator

Re: Stupid Technician

I would go ballastic if I went in for tires, and they started pulling codes.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

gee, whenever any of my cars get low on gas, they throw a low fuel light. that's their code for me to get more fuel.
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

So let me get this straight..they see a "Check Gages" light and instead of checking the gages, they start ****ing around with the car's computer, all while they were only authorized to mount tires? We all know what bus those Firestone employees rode in on....

Comment

Our check gages light comes on for low fuel? Huh.

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

No way that any of them could have ASE cert's!!

2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

you dont need one to work there haha
              but you know it's bad for your fuel pump if you go low on fuel all the time

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                So let me get this straight..they see a "Check Gages" light and instead of checking the gages, they start ****ing around with the car's computer, all while they were only authorized to mount tires? We all know what bus those Firestone employees rode in on....
                Yeah... I have the hand written check sheet from the shop on my desk. It reads, "check gauge light on, courtesy scan - no codes"

Lounge Moderator

Comment

thats why you don't go to Firestone.
                  the Firestone across form my dads shop is pretty shady i don't think many of them are ASE certified.:omg:

-Y87
                  Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

pep boys tried to ruin my wheel studs...i about broke my back trying to take the rear wheels off cuz they freakin tightend the lugs to tight...im wondering if they were certified...

Comment

^ Yep. Seems they all do that: overtighten the lugs. How the hell do you change a flat if need be? :slap:
                      2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                      1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                      2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                      2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                      2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

thats exactly what my dad said after he bout broke his back trying to take them off too...we had to take a freakin socket wrench 2 get the lugs off...not even our air wrenches would get them off :mad:

Comment

Personally I have always had better luck going with small local auto shops that have been around for a long time. Usually a longer wait, but the price is cheaper and usually it doesn't take long to find one you trust.

Comment

that's why I try to always watch them put the tires back on and ensure they use a torqe wrench. Asked one guy if he was going to use one and he looked at me like I was stupid. I responded, yes you must use a torque wrench set to 100ft/lbs. He had no clue what I was talking about. This was of course after he started trying to torque them down in a circle pattern with just the impact.

Last time I wasn't there when they put the wheels back on so when i got the car home I pulled out my torque wrench and re-tightened them.
                            -Brad
                            98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                            2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                            If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                            :rock:

Comment

not only does it possibly bend your wheels, it warps your rotors as well
                              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X