Ok guys, this has been driving me nutz!!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok guys, this has been driving me nutz!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok guys, this has been driving me nutz!!!

As you guys know last week the "lube" guy put some regular gear oil in my lsd and messed it all up. I can barely drive it now. So, I thought it'll be a easy fix. All i have to do is check the "Technical Database" and this is what i come up with:
    The old disc-type limited slip differential (Auburn) was replaced with a Zexel-Torsen torque sensing limited slip differential in 1999.(this statement make s auburn in the 98 model) The new differential requires the use of synthetic differential fluid because of its design. The slip-limiting uses metal-to-metal contact inside the case and thus requires the use of the more "slippery" synthetic lubricant.
    Ok, fair enough. Just for the sake of it, i check the "Modification Encyclopedia" and find this info:
    # Auburn Pro Series - This is probably the best limited slip differential you can get for the stock rear end. The Auburn part number for the two-series carrier differential is 542047 and you can get it for about $400. The Auburn part number for the three-series carrier differential is 542046. More information about this differential.

# Zexel-Torsen T-2 Series - This limited slip differential comes stock in all 98+ V8 F-Bodies and in 98+ V6 F-Bodies equipped with the Y87 performance package. For 99.9% of V6 owners (unless your name is 12secondV6) this differential is easily strong enough to handle whatever torque you throw at it. You can get one used out of a 98+ V8 or Y87 V6. More information about this differential.
    umm, so 98 have zexel?? now, i am completely confused . so i use the "search" function and come up with all these info

1. http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...3103#post53103 in this thread it's being said that 98 does come with zexel even though HokieBird disagrees

2. http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ghlight=auburn ok so, in this thread i can still see it's strongly said that 98 comes with zexel torsen .

3. http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8068 Here's a thread from an outside website, where 97rs4life (one of our moderator here) clearly checks the book and confirms 98 comes with Auburn. Also BLLDOGG (exhaust moderator and ASE certifed) confirms that 98 comes iwith Auburn diff.

4. Direct quote from FullThrottlev6:
    GM switched to a Zexel Torsen type limited slip differential in 98, which most consider superior to the Auburn units due to the design, which does not incorporate wearable cone clutches but instead uses element gears. Whereas the Auburn differential is designed to deliver equal torque to both drive wheels, the Torsen uses torque bias to deliver more torque to the wheel with the most traction. More information about this type of differential can be found at the manufacturer's website, www.torsen.com
    5. I was so confused, i called my local Chevy Dealer around 4:50 pm(that's the earliest i can call since i am busy from 7 am to 5 pm). I don't know if it was the time to leave (since they close at 5pm) or just stupidity, the dude on the service desk tells me that he "thinks" i have zexel but he is not sure.

I am really surprised i couldn't find this small piece of information from anywhere in last 4-5 days. Does anyone know what LSD does a 98 y87 3.8L V6 camaro come stock with from factory?

:)
    Last edited by kala; 04-30-2007, 08:49 PM.
    09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
    sigpic

www.the370z.com

Re: Ok guys, this has been driving me nutz!!!

pop off the cover and take a look

Comment

I can't help you as of yet, but it is something that is in the works as we speak. We are trying as a whole to change and update some of the info in the Tech Database. It will be updated.
      1995 Pontiac Firebird
      2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Sounds like everything is pointing towards 98 except that one instance
        1999 Camaro Z/28
        1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
          I can't help you as of yet, but it is something that is in the works as we speak. We are trying as a whole to change and update some of the info in the Tech Database. It will be updated.
          That's a good step. There are so many things that needs changing. I guess i got a too frustrated. But still i don't have a genuine answer. I will try go to the dealership and listen to those "know-it-all" service advisers :rolleyes: tomorrow

sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

nobody is going to know for sure what you have unless they pop the diff cover. 98 is a transition year and an early run could have a mix of 97 and 98+ parts. Just go buy 2 quarts of mobil 1 diff fluid, a gasket and some rtv so that when you pop the cover off and look you can put it back together with new fluid. All good now.

The limited slip additive will not hurt the torsen diff. Unless they used a whole quart of the stuff you should have no problems. If you had an auburn and they added regular oil the most it would do is prevent the limited slip from working fully since the clutches would slip a little more.

either way going to the dealership is prettymuch useless, they only way they will know for sure is to pull the diff cover.
            -Brad
            98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
            2000 V-Star Custom 1100
            If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
            :rock:

Comment

OK, here's the final answer to my question. It was "Auburn" limited slip. I went to the chevy dealer and the service guy pointed me to go to the parts counter. Fine, i go to parts counter and the guy looks on the computer for 5-7 mins to find out what kind of diff. i have. He fails to find any info and goes to the service and grabs the big service manual. After couple minutes, he shows me the line where it said that my car has Auburn. Ok, i was happy to know what i had and bought 3 (.68L) 80W90 hypoid gm gear lube, gm diff. additive, oem diff. gasket from the dealership ($60). Then i drive to my mechanic and i have to say he did an excellent job. When he dropped the round pan, it was all gunky since it was never changed since 97 when it rolled out of the factory. He cleaned everything really good and put the thing back together. I am very happy (even though it cost me $120) because the job was done right!

So, i guess you learn as you go. black98v6, thank you for your post. I see what you're saying about gm using different parts for different years. I dont' know why gm does that because it can really confuse people. The people at the gm dealership has so little knowledge, the guy thought i was joking when i said that there are two different LSD for camaro. if they open up the pan, and someone has zexel, these people (gm mechanics) would still put regular oil . That's what scare me about dealership and that is why i try to get the information from here. But if i fail here, it's almost like shooting in the dark if i go to the dealership

sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X