Fuel Economy check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Economy check

I know our cars aren't fuel efficient, but I'm kind of curious about mine...

It's a '94 3.4L automatic. Mods are a K&N intake, and exhaust (Not sure what, it was on when I got the car. All I know is it's not dual exhaust, but one that branches into two, and makes the car very loud). Miles are pretty high at 135K.

Usually I'll put 10-12 gallons into the tank, but I'll have only 180-200 miles on the meter. It's mostly city driving, with about 40-60 miles of highway, which I usually only am on for 3-5 miles at a time.

Does this sound about right? Just curious to see if maybe it's time I do a tune up.

Re: Fuel Economy check

that sounds about right. city driving really sucks down gas, more than i used to think. i have done numerous experiments and concluded the same as you. fill your tank up all the way and do the mile check close to E. then divide that numer by how many gallons in your tank
    Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

I think it's because our cars are so heavy, that our V6's get **** for gas mileage. After my rebuild everyone kept telling me to wait...well 4,000 miles later im still getting **** for gas mileage, 15 in town 17 if im lucky. Oh and my shifts are at about 2500 RPM and always about 1/4 throttle. Whereas my friends LT1 gets around 20, and my uncles LS1 is pushing 23 with a cam.

Comment

my 3.8 gets about 29 or even 30 on the highway and about 25 in town.
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Well, sounds like others are getting the same as me. It seems like I'm probably a little harder on the throttle than most, as I shift at about 3000 rpm. :burn:

If I was a more patient driver, probably could squeak a few more mpg. :) I reset my trip meter every time I gas up, and I always gas up all the way. Seem to range from 14-19 mpg, depending on how I've been driving and where.

I almost never drive to the point of my gas gauge super close to E. Doesn't seem to be the most reliable of gauges, as it seems to vary a lot while I drive.
          Last edited by Hole in Head; 04-23-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

^ same. i reset my trip meter also every time.

Comment

last summer my 96 3.8 gets 21ish city, 28ish highway...NOT driving consertively...

Haven't tracked it this year yet
              1999 Camaro Z/28
              1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Sounds like the 3.8s get a lot better milage. last i checked i got 27 mixed city/highway not drivig very conservetively either.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

My old 3.4 got 30 mpg with the AC on on the highway. Mid to low 20s in the city.

The LT1 on the other hand...
                  Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

My 3.4 gets 20 city 28-30 highway and 22-25 mixed. All with the AC on and shifts at 3k. 145k miles too. My Z still got better mileage.
                    1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Logged 29.3mpg on the way back from Pigeon Forge this weekend in my A4 w/ 3.42s, running around 2500rpm on the highway most of the way too. That's compared to the 21.1mpg I got while "cruising" through Pigeon Forge with Rod Run traffic (pretty much sat at idle for 3 hours, 2 times), the rest was highway. Take that for what it's worth though.
                      ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

drove the comero frfom dayton oh to locust grove va. topped it off in dayton, then drove until the gauage said 1/4 tank left (we know how accurate thesse thingsss are :rolleyess: ) and topped off again in WV (shoulda drove 20 more miles for md prices, 20 cents less ) and trip odometer said 464.3. that's roughly 35mpg in a 94 3.4 5sp w/135+k miles. This mero got better milage than my GP. cruises was set at 69/70 w/rpm's at 2250. going down mountains i would hit 90+ so i had some fun
                        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go
                          drove the comero frfom dayton oh to locust grove va. topped it off in dayton, then drove until the gauage said 1/4 tank left (we know how accurate thesse thingsss are :rolleyess: ) and topped off again in WV (shoulda drove 20 more miles for md prices, 20 cents less ) and trip odometer said 464.3. that's roughly 35mpg in a 94 3.4 5sp w/135+k miles. This mero got better milage than my GP. cruises was set at 69/70 w/rpm's at 2250. going down mountains i would hit 90+ so i had some fun
                          Wanker! :poke:
                          FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
                          Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
                          Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

I get about 18 city with a cam and high stall converter. That's advertised MPG. If I was stock, I imagine city mileage would be over 20.
                            -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

don't feel bad guys... my 1980 malibu gets 8-9 mpg
                              Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X