United States soon to be largest oil producer - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United States soon to be largest oil producer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United States soon to be largest oil producer

Ok so maybe not in the next few years but I found this on another site and it's a pretty intresting read. I've listed the link to the article and a another link that was in the thread.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog.../04/post_4.asp

A little history on oil shale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale

It's a pretty intresting read and would be cool if gas managed to get back down to 1.50 or less. :rolleyes: It would take a while to get the technology working right but if it did imagine the possibilities.

Thoughts?
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Re: United States soon to be largest oil producer

They are scraping shale in the NW Territories in the great white north.
    As if the polar bears dont have it tough enuff...

anyways, it may still take higher fuel taxes to get the consumption down and subsidize oil shale in this country.
    Ridin dirt bikes growing up in TN, shale was a slippery hazard in the stripmines. But after what they did to Appallachia, dont know if I could take much more 'progress'...

Comment

Is cleaner than conventional drilling
      ..... Dont se how thats possible....
      Generates the highest grade of light-sweet crude oil, which burns cleaner than other varieties
      ..... I up for that.....
      Becomes profitable with oil just north of $30 a barrel (which we've already blown past)
      .....SWEET!....

And another statement I like....
      What would the world be like if all the oil in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Venezuela, Russia, Iraq, Nigeria, and elsewhere was suddenly nearly worthless?

That would be a nice world! No more fighting in middle east, and $1.50 a gallon! And basically telling the Venez prez where he can stick his drill! Great find youngsc!
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

i wouldnt mind lower gas prices at all... it would make buying an LS1 much easier on my wallet
        2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

I live in Colorado, oil shale country.

They've been trying to do this for at least 40 years, with a long record of utter failure. Big oil companies have invested many millions, with virtually nothing to show for it. The oil in shale is tightly held, and it takes a lot of energy to release it. Canada's "tar sands" are very large and _much_ easier to process. Sure there could be a breakthrough, but I think this sentence from the Weekly Standard article has it right:

"Oil shale's history is one of delusions leading to disappointments. Sometimes the delusions have been motivated by a stock scam, but mostly they seem to have been driven by a belief that wishing can make it so. "

Besides, we'll be working hard to reduce fossil fuel use because of global warming.
          2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Looks like E85 is around $1.66

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...highlight=corn
            2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

I just thought it was an intresting read and the thought of oil and gas coming down so much is like a wet dream. The patent has been put in and the technology can work, in the right hands anything is possible. When I started driving it was .90 a gallon.
              Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X