New Beetle beater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Beetle beater?

I'm looking around for a new beater. I open the paper this morning and in the classifieds there's a 1998 New Beetle TDI 5 speed manual, for sale for $6,000 Cdn. Its got 150,000Kms on the odo, that's about 93,000 miles. I don't generally have a good impression of these cars but a quick search on www.fueleconomy.gov rates this car at 41 MPG city and 48 Hwy. I don't care much about the potential negative image of the car, because I've got my Camaro for nice weather driving during the summer. I need a beater for winter and relatively frequent long distance drives (over 700 miles once or twice per month).

What have you guys heard about these cars, specifically the Diesel engine in terms of quality, reliability and endurance? I need something to last a couple of years till I'm through Grad School. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mike88; 03-04-2007, 12:49 PM.

Re: New Beetle beater?

Man, I don't care what kind of mpg a beetle gets, I wouldn't even think of owning one. There's somewhat of an image to keep.

jmo
    sigpic

Comment

Ok.. so i drove one of those (a 98 to be precise) for 3 years. It had the 2 litre petrol engine (which got worse mileage than current car), so i can't speak about the diesel, but for the car in general i can. Say no. Just no. Its a total pos. People complain about the build quality of our cars... well its nothing compared to that stupid veedub. The things are made in Mexico, did you know that? And probably held together with tortillas anyway. It was my sisters car, but i drove it while she was in school in boston, and it never stopped falling apart... never. Even at this very moment something is probably breaking as i type. Its only done 5X,XXX miles as well! There's millions of small affordable cars that are better than a beetle, and less embaressing to boot.

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
      i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
      R.I.P. '07 Pats
      Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

I test drove a turbo beetle before i bought the CAmaro last month, and was sure fun!
        But I am glad i bought this car...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman
          Man, I don't care what kind of mpg a beetle gets, I wouldn't even think of owning one. There's somewhat of an image to keep.

jmo
          I'm with hockeyman on this one.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

lol we just got a 03 convet at my house. but its my sisters. is this going to be your sister!!
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Oh a coming out of the closet thread
              Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400

i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                R.I.P. '07 Pats

Comment

i cant stand beetles...they r fugly and they come with a flower pot inside...thats all i have to say

87 Firebird RIP
                  96 Camaro RS RIP
                  94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                  02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400
                    I probably shouldn't even bother responding to that comment, but what the hell. First of all, its not like I'm actively seeking a new Beetle and want nothing but to drive one. I saw one in the paper on a morning when there was nothing but junk in my price range. I've always wanted to own a diesel car, so I turned to the board to ask about the quality of these vehicles. I didn't run out to buy the car because it was so 'cute'. Secondly, why does what you drive necessarily have to say something about your personality? The first thing my brother said to me when he found out I bought my Camaro, was "so are you going to cut off the sleeves on all your shirts and grow a mullet?"

Don't get me wrong, I see the humour in your comment. I just find it slightly annoying that I can't choose to drive a car anymore without someone passing judgement on my character.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike88
                      I probably shouldn't even bother responding to that comment, but what the hell. First of all, its not like I'm actively seeking a new Beetle and want nothing but to drive one. I saw one in the paper on a morning when there was nothing but junk in my price range. I've always wanted to own a diesel car, so I turned to the board to ask about the quality of these vehicles. I didn't run out to buy the car because it was so 'cute'. Secondly, why does what you drive necessarily have to say something about your personality? The first thing my brother said to me when he found out I bought my Camaro, was "so are you going to cut off the sleeves on all your shirts and grow a mullet?"

Don't get me wrong, I see the humour in your comment. I just find it slightly annoying that I can't choose to drive a car anymore without someone passing judgement on my character.
                      Then ignore the "OMFG ur so GAY!!!!one" posts and listen to me when i say you'd be better off with a real beetle (the insect).

R.I.P. '07 Pats

Comment

No need to type of paragraphs for a little joke.
                        Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

No blood, no foul, dude. I'm guessin' they was Jestin'...:poke: :stp:

I like them, esp cabrios in that cool off-grey color. But then, I was a hippie back in the day with a Triumph, and I was west coast a long time.:rolleyes:

Again, that turbo I drove could scoot. And VW TDIs are clean and quiet. Ponycar pilots not only often feel they must maintain an image, but the pop at large assumes certain givens when they see F-bodys.

IMO, women look fabulous in both ponycars and beetles, esp converts.

Comment

I've always wanted to own a diesel car, so I turned to the board to ask about the quality of these vehicles.
                            Look into Jettas ......they have some TDI and i heard from a friend of mine it's pretty good on the gas mileage ......... don't get a Beetle......... the look fugly and you'll never see me in it .........and they are like the girliest car ever after eclipse <---- my opinion ;)

:)
                            09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                            sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Originally posted by mloaks
                              No blood, no foul, dude. I'm guessin' they was Jestin'...:poke: :stp:

I like them, esp cabrios in that cool off-grey color. But then, I was a hippie back in the day with a Triumph, and I was west coast a long time.:rolleyes:

Again, that turbo I drove could scoot. And VW TDIs are clean and quiet. Ponycar pilots not only often feel they must maintain an image, but the pop at large assumes certain givens when they see F-bodys.

IMO, women look fabulous in both ponycars and beetles, esp converts.
                              I'm sorry... i have no idea what you just said ..

Anyway, if this guys against the beetle then i'm with him.... DON"T GET IT!!!!

R.I.P. '07 Pats

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X