Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Car myths

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
    not only does it not improve gas mileage or performance, the fuel is harder to burn on a car not engineered for it and can cause difficulty starting especially in the cold
    thanks for backing me up, I wasnt looking forward to typing out an essay on why 89 is more flammable than 93.

93 by itself will NOT make more power
    93(or higher octane) by itself will actually make you loose power
    Just like more boost will NOT make more power (by itself)

EVERYTHING is about finding a Medium of what is "just right" for the engine...to make it happy.
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I got your back :D

I disagree about changing your oil more than every 3K though. engineers do these oil life things IMO for marketing and fleet accounts. if you were wanting to buy 100 trucks, wouldn't you want a truck that "didn't" need an oil easily twice the length of a "normal" truck? the engineers do a decent job with the time and engine load calculations but they can not consider the dirt in the air and etc. it says these types of things in your manual i believe. I have seen cars come in for oil changes at 6,7,8K that come out black and thick like the devils blood. you should always change your oil every 3K or 3months. if you are stubborn, at least keep an eye on it.
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i agree, 93 helps only if you add more timeing, boost or compression to prevent eng. knock...it dose not make h.p.

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
          I got your back :D

I disagree about changing your oil more than every 3K though. engineers do these oil life things IMO for marketing and fleet accounts. if you were wanting to buy 100 trucks, wouldn't you want a truck that "didn't" need an oil easily twice the length of a "normal" truck? the engineers do a decent job with the time and engine load calculations but they can not consider the dirt in the air and etc. it says these types of things in your manual i believe. I have seen cars come in for oil changes at 6,7,8K that come out black and thick like the devils blood. you should always change your oil every 3K or 3months. if you are stubborn, at least keep an eye on it.
          Lol, I hear ya there man. My oil used to always come out black, but it was never thick, always really thin. Never had any noticable debris in it, and never really collected any shavings on the magnet.

....and no, I'm not too crazy, I run Mobil 1 full synthetic now, have for about a year now.
          ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Speaking of the mythbusters.. they're on now. I wonder what they'll be up to today.

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
            i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
            R.I.P. '07 Pats
            Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

LOL @ running oil longer then 3k...

Yes some oils will not break down, but regular dyno juice oil starts to break down.

Either way long term or short term oil I like to use cheaper oil and change the filter every 3k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball27
                And about the tracer rounds thing: How many people have those?? I find it unlikely that that would ever come up.
                That's why I asked if they were sold to the public. I know I could pick some up at my weekend job, but I don't know if they sell them. I would think not, don't really need to shoot Bambi with a tracer. Same thing with armor piercing or depleted uranium rounds.

Rob
                \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

whats depleted uranium rounds?
                  1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by bret_xi
                    whats depleted uranium rounds?
                    They make the killin funner.

It's what they use to kill tanks. Mostly a 20MM+ round. DU is stronger than most armor.

Rob
                    \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

Also, back on topic, I was thinking today and came up with a couple of things about airbags that I've heard.

The worst thing you can do in a modern car... Smoke a pipe. Airbag deploys and it's going though the back of your neck.

Also, airbag related, putting your feet on the dash, as a passenger. I see it all the time on the Interstate, what happens when the bag goes off?

Rob

Comment

200+ mph air bag is what happens
                        how much Force (joules) I do not know
                        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

you'll probably get your face broken by your knees
                          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by rt1
                            Also, back on topic, I was thinking today and came up with a couple of things about airbags that I've heard.

The worst thing you can do in a modern car... Smoke a pipe. Airbag deploys and it's going though the back of your neck.
                            Like what happend to that girl in Final Destination... uh... 2? Or was it 3?... maybe 5... 6, 7, 23... i dunno which one.

Originally posted by rt1
                            Also, airbag related, putting your feet on the dash, as a passenger. I see it all the time on the Interstate, what happens when the bag goes off?

Rob
                            You eat feet rob.... you eat feet.

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
                            i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                            R.I.P. '07 Pats
                            Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball27
                              Like what happend to that girl in Final Destination... uh... 2? Or was it 3?... maybe 5... 6, 7, 23... i dunno which one.
                              now that you bring that up , i got a car myth for u guys (or maybe for mythbuster) ......... in the movie they hit the front end and the airbag diployed therefore her body was punctured .........can an airbag diploy if the key is in acc II position (position right before the start) and another car hits hard on the front ? ............ is that possible ?

:)
                              Last edited by kala; 02-01-2007, 11:21 PM.
                              09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                              sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

good question I think so, but thats my guess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X