83 firebird = new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 firebird = new build

so i plan on getting a 83 firebird from a freind of mine needs minor work as far as looks go has a v6 in it or 4 cyl or whatever came in the car i plan on using alot of my gta parts for the 83 and was wondering what i should do for a motor? would the tpi be a good motor to mod up or should i go big and get an ls1 for it? which would be better to mod and work on? P.S 83 is emission exempt :D so that means no crap needed on it:naughty:

Re: 83 firebird = new build

My response will always be: get a LS7 unless youre on a budget, in which I wouldnt know the meaning of the word
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

wtf does a ls7 come out of? lol and my budget isnt big im thinkin around 2-3k$ as far as motor shopping is concerned

Comment

you get a motor, you're gonna need a PCM (if applicable) and a trans at least
        LS7 = 427 cu in. comes out of some new vettes. There are shops that'll make
        one
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

so u dont think i could just convert the tpi to a non pcm motor and mod it up put a carb on it and different ignition since i dont need anything emissions related

Comment

LSX series engines have kits for you to do that.

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
            '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
            '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

get a 5300 out of a truck (cheap, as peeps want the bigger engines), along w/the trany & harness. Swap on ellis juan heads, and you're ready to roll.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/5-3_Co...QsatitleZ5Q2e3
              Last edited by 3.4 slow to go; 01-27-2007, 06:42 PM.
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go
                get a 5300 out of a truck (cheap, as peeps want the bigger engines), along w/the trany & harness. Swap on ellis juan heads, and you're ready to roll.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/5-3_Co...QsatitleZ5Q2e3
                5.3? hmm never thought of that whats the hp possiblities with that motor?

Comment

I'm guessing 300-325hp
                  Ebay is a good idea if you get a fair deal
                  OMG!! I'm drooling over all these engines sooo badly :drool:
                  If only I had enough for a cheap v8 and a cheap turbo... mmmmmmm....
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

"""They recommended that it not be bored because the cylinder walls were in to good of shape, so they polished them."""

Gayest excuse I've ever heard! And you do not want to polish cylinder walls! You want to hone them!

Comment

all that work just to get 300-325hp? please i can get that out of a ls1 and some say it responds to mods more then anything so why not pay 2k$ for a ls1? and do the same thing

Comment

dude, he was only recommending the 5.3L as a cheaper alternative to the ls1
                        If you are gonna spend $2k on a motor alone then get the best you can!

Where can I sell my left nut cause I really wanna hop on that ls1, I just linked!!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                          dude, he was only recommending the 5.3L as a cheaper alternative to the ls1
                          If you are gonna spend $2k on a motor alone then get the best you can!

Where can I sell my left nut cause I really wanna hop on that ls1, I just linked!!
                          i wasnt trying to be smart about it but...anyway back to the 5.3, what about things like motor mounts on the car and putting it in the car and etc.?

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-L...QQcmdZViewItem
                            Did anyone see the $33k Can Am race block with 700hp n/a? That will never sell
                            Never knew the LS2 is a 6bolt main..wow

Comment

Originally posted by 96greenmachine
                              i wasnt trying to be smart about it but...anyway back to the 5.3, what about things like motor mounts on the car and putting it in the car and etc.?

same as ellis juan, and all the bolt ons should be the same too.
                              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                              94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X