why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why?

i was looking at stock times on a 87 gta trans am 5.7l a4 and a 97 firebird 3.8l a4 and they both had the exact same 1/4 mile times 15.5 was the time...can somebody tell me why that is?

Re: why?

Becuase 3rd gen fbodies had about the same horsepower as our v6's. Most actually had less hp, the 305's only had 170 and the 350's had about 200.
    sigpic
    1997 Camaro RS A4
    2006 Chevy Colorado
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Well i don't think thats quite right. The 350 TPI in third gens was good for mid 14s at least. FYI, A lot of times online are not too precise and some are just way off. The 3.8 should be ~mid 15s. Also, the 350 put out massive torque so i just don't see it running the same as a 3.8
      Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown
        Becuase 3rd gen fbodies had about the same horsepower as our v6's. Most actually had less hp, the 305's only had 170 and the 350's had about 200.
        Not the same torque though :idea:

Bad info all together actually (170 hp is correct for the TBI 305 though), go here http://www.thirdgen.org/techdb
        Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

http://www.thirdgen.org/1987-chevy-camaro

Here is better info. I was wrong. :)
          But yeah, the 3rd gens were turds stock.

EDIT**FBody3400, dam you! Beat me to the punch with the same link!
          Last edited by Shodown; 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM.
          sigpic
          1997 Camaro RS A4
          2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

well it was a site givin to me by one on the members on here had alot of times on it...but i will say the 87 didnt have as much hp as the 88 and up

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown
              http://www.thirdgen.org/1987-chevy-camaro

Here is better info. I was wrong. :)

EDIT**FBody3400, dam you! Beat me to the punch with the same link!

But yeah, the 3rd gens were turds.
              ;)

Edit- The site I posted has links to every year third gen, there are some minute differences and variations in hp between the years

Comment

beautiful cars though man my 87 gta was awesome but i hate the fact that my v6 is just as fast if not faster then my gta...reason i asked is ive been thinkin bout putting my 350 tpi in my 96 but not if im not gonna get gains out of it. :/

Comment

Originally posted by 96greenmachine
                  beautiful cars though man my 87 gta was awesome but i hate the fact that my v6 is just as fast if not faster then my gta...reason i asked is ive been thinkin bout putting my 350 tpi in my 96 but not if im not gonna get gains out of it. :/
                  Are you not understanding this? The 350 TPI was faster. Its also extremely easy to mod. There is anything and everything all over the place for a SBC.

Comment

i love the look of 3rd gens but ya they r dogs...TPI motors arnt that great and def TBI motors suck...i raced my buddies 305 TPI motor and i spanked him....he thought it was fast until we raced...they r 15 second cars on their good days....most of them now a days r beaten to **** and have to have some motor work done to them

87 Firebird RIP
                    96 Camaro RS RIP
                    94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                    02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRS96
                      i love the look of 3rd gens but ya they r dogs...TPI motors arnt that great and def TBI motors suck...
                      i used to think the same thing, but when done right, they can be quick

for example, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/437351
                      really nice guy, knows a ton about tbi's
                      2002 NBM Pontiac Firebird Formula<br />Mods: stock...<br />1997 Chevy Camaro *Gone*<br />Mods:Borla,headers,Magnaflow cat, SLP intake, NOS 5175

Comment

87 is a terrible year 3rd gen

i had an 87 305Z, and all the parts i bought had to be specific for that year, cant remember the reason why

Comment

so what u guys think? rebuild the 350 tpi and put it in my 96 or keep the v6 i got and mod it up?

Comment

Beef up the v6. Seeing as how you are on v6 board, I bet thats the general consensus ;)

Nothing wrong with modding the 350 though :tup:
                            sigpic
                            1997 Camaro RS A4
                            2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

thing is which 1 would benefit most? modded v8 or modded v6...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X