Calif. propose huge tax on SUV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calif. propose huge tax on SUV's

Yup, heard it this morning. Calif. will tax those people who decide to buy SUV's. Get this, the tax will cost as much as $2000 and over. The ones that will get the highest tax will be the Hummer, Excursion, Saburban, and so on.

They are doing this because of SUV's high emission and gas gussling.

There will be tax relief for those who decide to buy hybrids and small cars.

Kinda sad how the government is undermining what you can and can not buy.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Re: Calif. propose huge tax on SUV's

Originally posted by Mighty Thor
    Yup, heard it this morning. Calif. will tax those people who decide to buy SUV's. Get this, the tax will cost as much as $2000 and over. The ones that will get the highest tax will be the Hummer, Excursion, Saburban, and so on.

They are doing this because of SUV's high emission and gas gussling.

There will be tax relief for those who decide to buy hybrids and small cars.

Kinda sad how the government is undermining what you can and can not buy.
    Im sort of glad that their doing this. Though i don't believe tax relief should be given to people who buy hybrids and small cars.
    And can someone fill me in as to the purpose of a Hummer (non-military) other than to guzzle through gas at three times the rate a normal car does, be useless at off-roading, and be an annoyance to other drivers?
    I don't like the big SUVs in general, Excursions, Yukons, Land Cruisers. Smaller SUVs with more efficient V8s and V6s i'm okay with. Like my families old GMC jimmy which was a 2 door with V6, not very big but more capable of off-roading than the big cows now adays and more fuel efficient too.

Comment

I don't like it at all. Let's say people stop buying these big cars. What will that do? Will it make us have oil for and extra 5 years? Who cares. If someone wants to drive a large vehicle that sucks up a lot of gas that they pay for it is their right and they shouldn't be penalized.

Comment

chalk up one more reason why cali is an embarassment to me
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by Tenom
          And can someone fill me in as to the purpose of a Hummer (non-military) other than to guzzle through gas at three times the rate a normal car does, be useless at off-roading, and be an annoyance to other drivers?
          whats the point of having a 345 hp daily driver? other than to break the speed limit?

just b/c you dont see the intrest in large suvs doesnt mean there should be a large tax on them. the same as just b/c someone else doesnt see the point of a high powered car, there shouldnt be restrictions on it.
          RedlineVSix

Comment

I dont care either way cuz i dont plan to ever buy a "Giant nusense 4 wheel drive but a joke for off road waste of metal assault vehicle"...i mean SUV. thoh this tax i would say sux, just a revenue generator

but if you want it bad enuff ud buy it ne waze.

i would buy a mid sized jeep thoh. saw a show where they went off road even drove down a lil stream. it wudnt a roarin rapid but still pretty impressive
            Last edited by RicE-ter; 05-23-2006, 10:15 PM.
            -RJ \"Like trail mix I\'m a lil sweet but mostly nutty\"<br />Metallic Blue 2001 3.8 Firebird M5<br />FRA,Smoothed Air lid, Homedepot Intake, K&N Air Filter, MSD Coils & Plug wires, Iridium Plugs, Flash Tune, 2.5 Flowmaster Catback.

Comment

Originally posted by 95fbirdkid
              whats the point of having a 345 hp daily driver? other than to break the speed limit?

just b/c you dont see the intrest in large suvs doesnt mean there should be a large tax on them. the same as just b/c someone else doesnt see the point of a high powered car, there shouldnt be restrictions on it.
              Retraction on whatever I said before.

I guess by buying an SUV they'll be inheriting enough problems as it is, poor handling, gas guzzling, large and unwieldy, slow most of the times unless its a Typhoon or something like that, lousy towing capabilites, and when their optioned with leather it sorta defeats their purpose too. If they want to buy them fine i'de rather have a truck.

Comment

most suv's are built on the truck chassis
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

Whats next, taxes for buying anything larger than a V6? Who gives a **** what other people want to drive. They can turn the argument around on you and say, "Why drive some slow *** gay V6 comero?" or "Why buy some ugly *** riced up firebird (aka trans am, actually heard people refer to WS6s as rice )" Its personal preference. If they prefer to pay and don't ***** about paying for the gas they guzzle, then why should you give a ****?
                  Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400
                    Whats next, taxes for buying anything larger than a V6? Who gives a **** what other people want to drive. They can turn the argument around on you and say, "Why drive some slow *** gay V6 comero?" or "Why buy some ugly *** riced up firebird (aka trans am, actually heard people refer to WS6s as rice )" Its personal preference. If they prefer to pay and don't ***** about paying for the gas they guzzle, then why should you give a ****?
                    Because our dependence on foreign oil costs this country _way_ too much, and not just in dollars. Just one example. If we weren't dependent on foreign oil think we couldn't tell Iran to cut it out and back that up?

And, as the price of imported oil continues to rise (China and India will see to that), our economy is headed for trouble.

We should care.
                    2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

I think this is stupid.....They shouldn't punish the consumer for a lack of supply of a product... What if there is a shortage of eggs, are they going to tax bakers! Wow....

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

Originally posted by V6Bob
                        Because our dependence on foreign oil costs this country _way_ too much, and not just in dollars. Just one example. If we weren't dependent on foreign oil think we couldn't tell Iran to cut it out and back that up?

And, as the price of imported oil continues to rise (China and India will see to that), our economy is headed for trouble.

We should care.

ummm, we more oil from mexico than the gulf.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...nt/import.html

^^^ it's a Canexican conspiracy
                        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

I support the tax. There are more issues than just gas consumption.

Emmisions, saftey, wear and tear on roads, sizes of parking spaces/garages.

Bigger SUV's just consume more of EVERYTHING. 6.0L oil changes, more rubber, more steel, more fluid.

I do understand that if people choose to get something large that they shouldnt be penalized for it, but these types of taxes just make sense. I see it as almost the same as a tax on cigarettes; If people wanna smoke, great, but nobody seems to be raising a huge stink about the taxes on cigs, because we know that they are bad for you; The same way that huge SUV's and such are in general wastes;

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go
                            ummm, we more oil from mexico than the gulf.
                            True. Doesn't change what I said at all. Depending on imported oil is messing us up now, and it's gonna get a lot worse.
                            2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Originally posted by V6Bob
                              True. Doesn't change what I said at all. Depending on imported oil is messing us up now, and it's gonna get a lot worse.
                              While I agree with you that our dependancy on foreign oil is a problem, I don't see how this relates to the tax. I have a hard time believing that the money from this tax is going to help us build more refinerys or find reasonable alternative fuel sources. I have not read up on this tax or seen california's budget so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by mwh27
                              Emmisions, saftey, wear and tear on roads, sizes of parking spaces/garages.

Bigger SUV's just consume more of EVERYTHING. 6.0L oil changes, more rubber, more steel, more fluid.
                              When SUVs are gone it will be much easier to push a similar tax onto vehicles you might care about. You don't need a wide, rwd sports car. It can acclerate quickly (unsafe), has a free flowing exhaust and a large displacement engine compared to a moped or commuter car (emmisions/noise polution), wears the road more than a moped or commuter car, takes up a lot more room in a parking space. I think we should all have to drive mopeds or be heavily taxed. It's only fair.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X