retro trend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retro trend

Even though I like a lot of these new retro designs, it feels like R&D people are taking the easy way out instead of coming up with truly new ideas. I guess it is interesting though... maybe Ford will bring back the model T?

BTW, I haven't been keeping up but I was reading some threads found from googling saying that if the new Camaro tanks, then GM will bring back the firebird. Any truth to this? Is the firebird truly dead or is it just hibernating?
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

I am not a designer, but I imagine it is difficult to take styling cues from the 70s and work them into something that still works on a late model.

I have not been happy with a lot of late model designs anyway. Having headlights that come up to the wheel-wells is just ugly. bubble tailights? eck. And WTF has Hyundai been thinking with every single car? So maybe designers were running out of good ideas?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

The only retro design I think I like is the new mustang. I think it looks good. I will never own one, because it is a mustang lol, but I like the outside appearance. I think the new camaro's bodystyle/appearance is hideous. Not to mention have you seen what the designers have been doing with the interiors of these cars? At work the people who work outside and not in the office got new F150's and the interiors are so confused. There is a horrible mixture of squares and circles.

What ever happened to smooth styling and aerodynamics?

Comment

When its time for a bodystyle update/change... That's when we will see if the retro designers screwed themselves over...

Looks cool but seems like it will get stale quick. The PT Cruiser has been around a while now, but then again, that also didn't completley mimick an earlier model design either...
        <a href=\"http://dpo.rpaisley.com/displayfile.do?file_id=11856&size=ORIGINAL\" target=\"_blank\">05 GTO</a><br /><a href=\"http://dpo.rpaisley.com/displayfile.do?file_id=2825&size=ORIGINAL\" target=\"_blank\">97 W68</a><br /><a href=\"http://dpo.rpai

Comment

Smooth styling and aerodynamics went out with the mid 90's. It seems like everything has drastic edges and a very boxie feel now.

American car companies seem like they are trying to sucker buyers in with retro styling to remind them of the glory days of american car design. They are also marketing more towards the baby boomer generation who has plenty of money and grew wanting these cars.

On the other hand I dont like were a lot of the japanese designs are going either. They are trying to push a more futuristic look with the long draw out head lights like Speeding mentioned and body lines that are very sharp and abrupt. Seems like they are aiming for more of a youth market that wants more of a flashy car.

Oh course those statements are really generalizations about the market and mainly companies sports cars.

Comment

I kinda get the hard edges and lines... in some I actually like them, example Caddy. Somehow they vaguely remind me of a stealth jet, but then again I also love military aviation so maybe my mind's playing tricks on me.

So no word on any potential firebird revival?
            \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

BTW, speaking of aerodynamics, isn't the firebird/camarao's drag coefficient around 0.31? I read some brochure about some Lexus sedan that has lower than 0.28... Darn. Isn't the Vette at 0.29?

Comment

Originally posted by lostatlantis:

So no word on any potential firebird revival?
                dont count on it. the gto is the closest thing we will have for a while. i dont see a new bird coming out in the next 10 years. unfortunately. :( :mad:

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                Or this

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X