Did I do okay on this 3.4L V-6 Camaro? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I do okay on this 3.4L V-6 Camaro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I do okay on this 3.4L V-6 Camaro?

Newbie here! Hope I got the right spot.

I bid/bought this for my Daughter. She wanted something sporty and I didn't want to get killed on buying it. Is the 3.4 good? How long do they last? I haven't picked it up yet but anything I should look for? If it doesn't check out I will just take my lumps and leave. It will be her first car so I hope it is a good one.

This is it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Car looks very clean for being 12 years old now, and only 80k on the clock

Id say just from looking at the pics you got yourself a good deal

I have no experience with the 3.4 but I honestly do not think you/she will have any problems with the car.

just look to make sure the car has all of its maintenance records. If its been kept up and continues to you will have a car that will last well into the 20's

Good luck

others here could give much better input on what to look for as far as the motor and stuff goes
      2001 Pewter A4 Firebird <br />SLP CAI, B&M shift kit, B&B triflo exhaust<br />1/4: 15.139 @ 89.28 w/2.179 60\'<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/615960\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/615960</a>

Comment

lol fine i'll be the one to say it... send ur daughter this away after ya get the car... haha nah just jokin with ya... it looks like a good deal... she'll have fun with that for a first car... congratulations!!!
        disclaimer: \"warning.. this post may contain somewhat of a funny comment if read properly... take my comment out of context at your own discretion...\"

Comment

Thanks!

She turns 16 soon so we have been looking. Only problem is she mainly likes Eclipses but they are $3,500 or so, manual and still have 100k plus miles. She doesn't want a Civic like Dad or a Neon, etc... She wants something sporty so I really didn't know what else to get. She likes the Camaros though. As long as it gets near 24 MPG I will be happy. Hopefully it has a steel gear timing chain so I have at least another 50k miles before needing to look at that.

BTW.... How much would a remanned 3.4 cost?

Comment

im sorry to tell you but a 3.4 wont pull 24 m.p.g. in town. my 3.8 which is amore efficient engine will do 19. some ppls will do like 20. now on the highway youll have no trouble hitting that mark. a 3.4 remanned i dunno. but a 3.8 junkyard costs like 4-500 bucks. so prolly the same for a junkyard 3.4.
            good luck, and get those daughter/car pics up soon ;)
            The confusion surrounds me <br />change is imminent<br />if I were they<br />we could be great

Comment

My 3.4 gets around 15-18 MPG in 100% city driving, and they do have a steel gear timing chain.

You can pick up used motors at a junk yard or even online for around $200 for the whole 3.4 motor their real cheap.

To help out the MPG issue i suggest you remove the air silencer and hack up the air box so it will suck more air and maybe throw in a K&N air filter.

Comment

Looks pretty clean. Those 3.4's are pretty bullet proof. As long as you change the oil, it will pretty much run forever. I've heard of people getting 200k out of them without any problems.
                <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

you can get low 20s in a 3.4L if its set up and drivine normally getting on the gas a little brings this down...

As for the timing chain, imo, you will probably never have to look at it, something else major will go before that.

I put several hundred passes down the dragstrip in my old 94 3.4L, road races, autocrosses. All I ever did was adjust the rockers once(slight tick at idle) car has since been sold and is still on the road with 170,000 miles. the 60* v6 (family of 2.8L 3.1L, 3.4L, 2800, 3100, and 3400 v6s) has proven pretty reliable and been put in tons of GM vehicles.

Common problem is the window motors burning out(thats on all 93-02 camaros) but its actually pretty simple to change yourself. Lots of guides and pictures on how to do it on these sites.

I woudl worry more about the auto tranny then the motor. But it should be fine. But it is a 12 year old car.

Either way car looks to be in good shape and well taken care of.
                  -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

looks good to me. 3.4s are great motors. keep them up and they will run forever. the only problem i had with mine was the egr valve. mine had 100k and still ran like new. h3ll i'd still have it if some stupid asshat hadnt broken into it.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

Looks like the 3.4 is a decent piece.

I meant 24 MPG combined. If it does low 20's in the City then it should get 24 overall I would think.

I have a Honda Civic with the 1.6 and although probably everyone says they will do 30 MPG combined the best I have gotten was 28 MPG and it is usually within 1-2 of that everytime. The ratings on it are 32/36. I have gotten 40 MPG out of it on the HWY driving 55-60 the entire way without goosing it and no A/C.

Comment

i'm currently on my second '95 3.4... here's what i've experienced. mixed driving, i'd average around 20-22 mpg almost every tank. the only mods that i had were the k&n FIPK, flowmaster catback, MSD coil packs, and i religiously maintained it. oil and filter every 3k (semi syn and a mid grade filter), plugs every 6k(autolite #25 gapped at .060), wires every 9-12k(LLT warrenty bosch from Autozone - free to replace). ran lucas injector cleaner thru a tank every oil change. keep up with the car and itll be running strong for well over 100k miles.. i have around 150k on mine now and it still pulls great. i really havent seen any inherent problems with the car. the intake sucks so it runs out of steam above 4500-5000k rpm or so. the top of the engine seaps oil so its hard to keep that clean. lifter noise is very minimal after 150k. window motors do go out with regularity. also, headlights used to burn up on me bout once a year. they are $20 a piece if you buy the assembly thats called for, or you can rig a 9007 (i believe???) bulb to fit for $7. Not a lot of aftermarket support for the car but for a first car, its a very nice car. just make sure she's responsible with it cause even though it's a v6, it can still be a lot of car for a new driver. enjoy the car and let us know if you have any issues.
                        Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

3.4 is a very good motor.

There is ONLY ONE drawback to the 3.4 - the intake manifold gaskets. They do leak. The timing chain you'll probably never have to do though if you ask me.

As for fuel economy, I got 20+mpg in the city all the time when I didn't have my foot in it.
                          Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

good deal..NOS kit 5175 would compliment it very nicely haha ;)
                            <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

im sure she will like it as much as you will, especially once you floor it for the first time. its not that bad of a motor as people make it seem like. it will hang if not beat most "stock" imports and Mustangs(v6 that is)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X