Computer people, I need more memory..... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer people, I need more memory.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer people, I need more memory.....

I need help. I am wanting to get more memory for this computer. I have a Pavilion 7960 (which is ancient, I know) that uses RDRAM. The stuff has to be bought in pairs, and is no longer really made massively, so it is hard to find for cheap. All I know about the memory is that what is in there is RDRAM RIMM PC600 Non-ECC. Bad thing is that there are only 2 sticks of 64 mb each in there, and that has simply outdated itself in a very short time, but I haven't had the money to get new memory till now.

What I need to know is what kind of memory can I get that is still compatible with this computer? Can I mix ECC sticks with Non-ECC stuff? Does it have to be PC600? I really don't know, maybe someone here can help me.

BTW, I ain't buying a new computer, so I really don't want to hear that response. This computer has done me WELL over the last 4 years, and it would be a shame to junk it simply because it lacks memory (or an OS worth a s***). I also have on order Windows XP Pro, and upgrade from the ME that has plaqued this thing from the beginning. I have other things I want to get for it, and I see it to be more cost effective to keep this comp than to go out, buy, relearn a whole other computer, and then spend more money getting the things I want for it instead.

Thanks

Wes
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

BTW, I am in the chat.....lol [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

http://www.pricewatch.com/prc.aspx?i=33&a=2211

bare bones system from tiger direct beotch. I've been telling you for years!!!
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

i know its not what you want to hear, but get a new computer, that one is junk. its more cost effective any way you look at it, that memory is just about as much as a new computer and not worth it

Comment

if you plan on running windows XP you'll need at least 512mb of ram.

The first thing you need to do is figure out how expandable your motherboard is. It may not be able to accept any bigger ram sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCoffee:
            if you plan on running windows XP you'll need at least 512mb of ram.

The first thing you need to do is figure out how expandable your motherboard is. It may not be able to accept any bigger ram sticks.
            Up to 1 gig memory (4 x 256), which is plenty for me.

BAH- not buying a new comp. I may buy ANOTHER comp, but not one to replace this one. So I need this one upgraded. I can also find what memory I need cheaply. Granted, I will be able to buy another NEW junk computer for about $500, but its not going to do or be what I want. Its just not as cost effective as you think for me to buy a new computer compared to just getting more memory for this one. Surprisingly, I can get 4 sticks of 256 mb PC600 184 pin Non-ECC AND Windows XP Pro (ALL NEW BTW) for about $350. Then I can go out, get a new keybard and mouse, and a 300 gig external HD and still keep ALL OF THIS under $650.

Its not so much a problem as where I can find it and how much it costs, but what kind of compatibility it has. Can I use ECC with a Non-ECC comp? Things like that.

[ January 26, 2006, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Mogobs30th ]
            1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

non-ecc memory is just fine. all a ecc stick does is add a parity bit that double checks for errors and in some cases can even correct the data if there is an error.
              But most brands of ram have good enough quality control these days that this is not needed. Unless you are running a primary data sensative server or something non-ecc memory is fine.
              as far as compatability goes I know older motherboards needed to be compatable. However these days I'm pretty sure its irrelevant, the motherboard does not know the difference.
              Since it appears to went to the site and looked up the specs specific to your machine, if it says non-ecc I'd stick to that just to be on the safe side. I'd just go with non-ecc because chances are it'll be cheaper. and if you think about it, its technically faster (doesnt have to check for error, although this process is fast).

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th:

BAH- not buying a new comp. I may buy ANOTHER comp, but not one to replace this one. So I need this one upgraded. I can also find what memory I need cheaply. Granted, I will be able to buy another NEW junk computer for about $500, but its not going to do or be what I want. Its just not as cost effective as you think for me to buy a new computer compared to just getting more memory for this one. Surprisingly, I can get 4 sticks of 256 mb PC600 184 pin Non-ECC AND Windows XP Pro (ALL NEW BTW) for about $350. Then I can go out, get a new keybard and mouse, and a 300 gig external HD and still keep ALL OF THIS under $650.

Its not so much a problem as where I can find it and how much it costs, but what kind of compatibility it has. Can I use ECC with a Non-ECC comp? Things like that.
                For $500 you can build a gaming computer.
                For $650 you could buy a whole new computer that's probably twice as fast as your current one.
                ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

If you're concern is compatibility, Google "Pavilion 7960 memory". Tons of sites listing specs for exactly what is compatible.
                  2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Originally posted by Dojo2000:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mogobs30th:

For $500 you can build a gaming computer.
                    For $650 you could buy a whole new computer that's probably twice as fast as your current one.
                    </font>[/QUOTE]Then I would still be left with this comp. I have a plan in the not so near future to get a new laptop, but I still need a PC. To spend money on a laptop AND a new PC, then junk this one, would be pointless. That and I don't work or build computers, or play games, I work on cars. This comp may be outdated, but it isn't obsolete. I can spend the $650, and still have a comp that I am familiar with inside and out, both hardware and software. This thing has done me well, and there is simply no sense in junking it, especially for a comp with a sh***y Celeron processor.

Mr Coffee- THANK YOU!!! That was the info I was looking for. I didn't really know the difference, besides what ECC and non-ECC stood for.
                    1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Instead of getting 4x256, get 2x512. But you will need some blank "filler" chips for the other 2 slots, but you might already have some.

Check your mobo, the will just be PCB's without anything out them. RDRAM is older, check ebay.

I still have a 1.7ghz p4 on a Abit mobo with RDRAM and I can't kill the thing.

Comment

Wes,

It's time to let go. I know what you do/plan on doing with your computer (and it's not gaming people. Yes there are SOME that use it for more than that) and well, accept it. How long did it take me to move up from my PII 400? up until last year that's all I've used since being on this sight (or slower computer). New ones that can do what you want are faster & probably cost as much as the memory you want for your old system.
                        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                        94 comero 3.4

Comment

1.3ghz + 1GB Ram should be plenty fast.

This is the reason that we need new computers, because of the mind set that computers just get faster and faster, so the code gets equally crappier and bloated..... it's a shame.

I'm pretty sure my 3.0ghz Xp pro box boots just as fast as my old 650mhz with 98SE on it...

Sorry for trolling, but this mind set of just buying a new computer because it's cheaper than the upgrade erks me, just because it falls into the "throw-away" mindset of products nowadays.

Comment

OK, now i have a little more time to talk. RDRAM is pretty much junk, its not worth upgrading because it's faded out and no new computer uses it. you would be much better off just getting new memory processor and motherboard, you can find TONS of barebones packages from www.tigerdirect.com you can keep everything else, just memory processor and motherboard, probably case too, all that shouldnt cost more than $200-250 and your computer will be probably over 100% faster. but stay away from the RDRAM, its wayyyyy overpriced and not worth it, if you get the barebones you could always use the memory in a new computer, but you're stuck with the RDRAM junk when that computer is finished and you just wasted $100 on something you wont be able to use in 6 months when your motherboard fails. i have worked in a computer shop, take my advice just get new mobo, cpu, and ram. stick with amd and the ddr and you will be good for years to come

Comment

Originally posted by bah:
                              OK, now i have a little more time to talk. RDRAM is pretty much junk, its not worth upgrading because it's faded out and no new computer uses it. you would be much better off just getting new memory processor and motherboard, you can find TONS of barebones packages from www.tigerdirect.com you can keep everything else, just memory processor and motherboard, probably case too, all that shouldnt cost more than $200-250 and your computer will be probably over 100% faster. but stay away from the RDRAM, its wayyyyy overpriced and not worth it, if you get the barebones you could always use the memory in a new computer, but you're stuck with the RDRAM junk when that computer is finished and you just wasted $100 on something you wont be able to use in 6 months when your motherboard fails. i have worked in a computer shop, take my advice just get new mobo, cpu, and ram. stick with amd and the ddr and you will be good for years to come
                              Again, I do not build computers. I have NEVER built a computer, and I don't even know where to begin. So buying a new processor, mobo, case, and memory in parts and you might as well talk me thru it speaking arabic.

So if you can get me a new mobo (amd), DDR memory (1 gig minimum), a case, a new keyboard, optical wireless mouse, a 300 gig external HD, and Windows XP Pro, reinstall every piece of software and hardware that I still need from this comp, and YOU BUILD IT for under $650, I will send the money as soon as I get it. Im betting you wouldn't do it for that price though.

Sorry for trolling, but this mind set of just buying a new computer because it's cheaper than the upgrade erks me, just because it falls into the "throw-away" mindset of products nowadays.
                              FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!!! I bought this computer I believe a month after I bought my Camaro, which was actually almost 6 years ago (didn't think it was that old). I bought it for well over $2000, but at the time it was top of the line, one of the first HP comps availiable with the P4 processor, everything else on the shelf was a P3, and most everything still was using RDRAM. Now after those 6 years, this comp has done me well, for the exception of the consistent problems of ME, which ANY comp with ME had problems, I have yet to see one without one problem or another. Like I said earlier, some of the stuff is outdated, but definitely not obsolete. All I need is XP, and some more memory, and I can see this comp lasting at least 4 more years, maybe longer.

I do think that the majority of people have that mindset that once something better comes out, they have to throw away the last thing they had just to get the latest and supposedly greatest. Its stupid, and a waste of money, but I guess thats why they call them "consumer" electronics.

[ January 26, 2006, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Mogobs30th ]
                              1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X