Iraq from the Seabee perspective (Hello Everyone) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iraq from the Seabee perspective (Hello Everyone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq from the Seabee perspective (Hello Everyone)

This is just a friendly Hello from a fellow fv6.com member to all those here in the lounge area. The last time I posted was December 8th in which I was 95% sure that I was getting reactivated and deployed to a forward operating area in Iraq.

Since that last post, which now seems so very long ago, I've went through several weeks of combat and communications training in Gulf Port Mississippi, a slight layover of about a week in Kuwait, and then almost 3 full months here in Al Asad, Iraq with a couple weeks spent about the country.

The terrain and environment are fierce. It's still early summer here, but we've already seen temps in the 120 range, with more to come. With no humidity it's a frying heat to say the least. Dust storms are not uncommon, and are actually just windy days (that ever-so inconvieniently pick up all the dirt laying around and blow it onto your face and body). About the best way I can describe what it feels like to walk out in mid-day heat is to go into your kitchen and turn on the oven as hot as it will go. Let it warm up for the next 15 minutes and the stand right in front of the door when you open it. The sudden flood of heat is about the best comparison I can find (for those of you playing the home game).

I'm in a reasonably safe area at the moment, as we haven't had a rocket attack in the past few weeks. This is both good and bad, as people tend to get lazy and complacent when nothing is happening. Although, it hasn't always been the case, as we've suffered a few injuries (mostly just busted ear drums, tenitis, and lacerations) from enemy incoming and even one from a bulldozer that hit some unexploded ordinance. All injuries are of a non-permenant nature though which I thank God for every night.

My friends and family back home send letters and care packages on a regular basis, which are all as good as mothers milk. Mail call might as well be Christmas, the way most of us react. For those of you that have family, or friends or personlly know someone over here, I'd recommend spending a few dollars and sending them something. If you've not been on the receiving side of such a simple gift, you'll never really understand how great it is. One of my college buddies sent me a USPS prepaid postage box filled with different types of drink powders to mix with the millions of bottles of waters to consume. To me (and those in my shop whom I shared it with), it was better than gold.

I've got a new girl in my life, she's an M-16 A2. She was created by the fabulous people over at General Motors Hydra Matic division (in which I never knew GM made M-16's!?!?! wish I had a chevy decal to put on her...). She's an older girl, but ever so reliable. She goes with me everywhere and we do everything together.

Life isn't all bad here though. The exchange here in Al Asad usually gets a decent supply of movies in every few weeks and you can get the bootlegged stuff from the arabic market at $5 a pop. I probably saw the new Star Wars before most of you... They also just opened a Burger King on post which was met with wild popularity. So, for this particular post at least, life is slowly improving.

Other posts aren't so lucky though. I've been to a couple, and lets just say daily routines can a tad more exciting than most people are comfortable with.

One other thing I'd like to mention, the men here are the greatest you could encounter. Heroes, every single one of them. And when it's your turn to be in a fight, I'll take a Marine at my back on any occasion.

It's back to business as usual for me. I'm on the night shift this week which sorta gives me a break for a few days. We only get half a day off per week, so the night routine is something of a vacation. I do look forward to getting home, but thats another 3-5 months away so we try not to dwell on it, and pray that time passes quickly.

Not trying to upset anyone with this post, I just thought some of you might like to hear how the other half are doing. No political agenda intended (or necessary in a reply, I don't get much CNN of FOX News out here, so I wouldn't know what you are talking about anyway).

Respectfully,
    ET2 B Pike
    US Navy Reserves
    Navy Mobile Construction Batallion 24
    Al Asad, Iraq

Greets!!!!!!!!! good to hear you're doing ok. I've had my sahre of fireworks in northern Iraq, but only had to handle my M-16 twice: check in when I got there, check out when I left. Must be some AF thing ;) . You should be outa there when I get to go roudnd 2. I'm suprised you're not able to watch CNNi, but there should be Armed, I mean American Forces Radio. One thing I did notice is that the time actually goes pretty fast, not as fast as you'd like, but still..... . Do you have the circle of happiness yet? let me know & I could e-mail one to ya [img]graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Be safe, obey the giant voice, and duck & cover.
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Good to hear from you. Glad you're OK.

Thanks for serving and for protecting us. Be safe and God Bless.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Glad everything is going as good as it can be. Stay safe.
        2000 GTP<br />Pulley, Intake<br />ET - 14.02<br />Trap - 97.15

Comment

Hey my gf's sister is in Gulfport, shes a SeaBee. She just had a baby so its not like shes real active with the Navy stuff, I think her husband is a SeaBee as well.
          What\'s her last name? I\'ll look it up.<br />You know I don\'t recall. Swim, Swammy, Slippy, Slappy, Simmons, Sommons, Swenson, Swanson?<br />Maybe it\'s on the briefcase.<br />Oh yeah! It\'s right here, Samsonite! I was way off! I knew it started with an S though!

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor:
            Good to hear from you. Glad you're OK.

Thanks for serving and for protecting us. Be safe and God Bless.
            ditto

Thank you
            ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X