• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which would use more gas?

This is a hypothetical question... Which would use more gas:

half throttle at 5K rpms, or
    full throttle at 2K rpms?

I can never get a straight answer.
    \'98 3.8L m5<br /><br />whisper lid<br />SLP CAI <br />lsd <br />3.73 gears <br />Flowmaster American Thunder catback exhaust

If distance isnt an issue, full throttle at 2k
    <a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/437104\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/437104 96 Firebird M5</a>

Comment

This can be solved mathematically fairly simply. Ill use this example, even though its not technically correct, you will see how it relates.

Lets say that for each revolution, the engine use 1mL of gas at WOT.

Half throttle at 5K rpms would mean
      .5 x 5000 = 2500mL in a minutes' time

Full throttle at 2K rpms would mean
      1 x 2000 = 2000mL in a minutes' time

The result....half throttle at 5K uses more.

Torque and horsepower curves do not matter here. Only acceleration factors would require the use of torque and HP curves.

The above is the relation under the condition that the RPM's are constantly maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowbee V6:
        what does distance have to do with anything?
        \'98 3.8L m5<br /><br />whisper lid<br />SLP CAI <br />lsd <br />3.73 gears <br />Flowmaster American Thunder catback exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Flowbee V6:
          what does distance have to do with anything?

Comment

Originally posted by stealth1281:
            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flowbee V6:
            what does distance have to do with anything? </font>[/QUOTE]Would you drive 100 miles at 5k rpm?
            <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

If I were trying to kill the car... yes.
              Check out my stable of supercharged W-Bodies <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=136\" target=\"_blank\">HERE</a><br /><b>\'97 Pontiac GP GTP Coupe</b><br /><b>\'98 Regal GS | L67 3800 Series II</b>

Comment

yeah, you guys are right about the distance....when I was asking this, I wasn't thinking about distance.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenPunisher:
                  This can be solved mathematically fairly simply. Ill use this example, even though its not technically correct, you will see how it relates.

Torque and horsepower curves do not matter here. Only acceleration factors would require the use of torque and HP curves.

The above is the relation under the condition that the RPM's are constantly maintained.
                  so, according to the formula, if I'm going downhill at 5K rmps (hypothetically of course) giving no throttle at all, i'm not using any gas? I'm not trying to be an *** or anything; just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth1281:
                    so, according to the formula, if I'm going downhill at 5K rmps (hypothetically of course) giving no throttle at all, i'm not using any gas? I'm not trying to be an *** or anything; just curious.
                    DFCO: Deceleration Fuel Cutoff [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                    Matt
                    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Dunno.... why would you try to do either?
                      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

lower reves better.
                        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Ah, but keep in mind that at half throttle, the intake manifold is under more vacuum - so the cylinders are getting a smaller mass of air on the intake stroke, and therefore will be using less fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio constant.

Originally posted by TheGreenPunisher:

Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

My Bimmer has an "instaneous" gas usage gauge. At any point in time, I can see my instant MPG. Half throttle at 5K RPMS keeps me at 15 - 20MPG on the guage. Full throttle at any RPM buries the gauge.

Full throttle will always be pushing more gas into the motor.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X