why backup a raid? your data is safe right? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why backup a raid? your data is safe right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why backup a raid? your data is safe right?

someone erased a 1.6T volume friday. hey, its on a raid, we dont need backups for that do we?

That's not true at all. There are different RAID levels that offer different benefits, the main three of which are data redundancy, volume spanning, and data striping for performance benefits. It all depends on what RAID level your array is configured at. If the array is mirrored then you have data redundancy. If it's striped only then it's actually more likely to fail than a single drive (if you lose one drive in the array you're pretty much gone).

Here is some information on the various different raid levels:

http://www.twincom.com/raid.html

Comment

Oh, also, even if you were running a fully mirrored array, you'd still want to back up your data. RAID redundancy only protects against hardware failure, not human errors like mistakenlyt nuking a volume on the disk.

Comment

Oh, also, I just re-read your post and realized you were being sarcatic. Cut me some slack, it's 8:00 AM and I'm on my first coffee. ;)

Comment

It also doesn't prevent "accidents" such as fire ;)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X