FBI Arrests Half-Life 2 Code thieves - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI Arrests Half-Life 2 Code thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Arrests Half-Life 2 Code thieves

Another good read:
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/34429.html

I'm glad they've been caught! Serves 'em right!

[ June 11, 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: L32Projekt ]
    Check out my stable of supercharged W-Bodies <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=136\" target=\"_blank\">HERE</a><br /><b>\'97 Pontiac GP GTP Coupe</b><br /><b>\'98 Regal GS | L67 3800 Series II</b>

Newell should have secured his box and shouldn't have put his passwords out in the open like that. The accused should have waited for the game to be released.

I say slap the accused on the wrist and slap Gabe Newell on the head.
    www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

Originally posted by DrSquirts:
      Newell should have secured his box and shouldn't have put his passwords out in the open like that. The accused should have waited for the game to be released.

I say slap the accused on the wrist and slap Gabe Newell on the head.
      LOL. Okay, I agree that GN should have been a bit more cautious in the way he handled things but it doesn't mean that whoever stole the code should be let go with less punishment. Just because you'd leave your car windows down, or your front door unlocked mean that whoever walks by is entitled to your stuff? I'm assuming here, but are the contents of your house and car worth millions of dollars? I'm kinda sure they aren't.

Also, when you get the end-product do you want to play an online game against people that have cheats and hacks that wouldn't have existed, but do because the perps grabbed the actual source code that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise? I'm sure there's lots of people out there like me that don't want to spend $50 on a game and have part of the experience ruined by non-skilled kids.

Moral of the story is, it's a crime and crimes are (supposed) to be punished.
      Check out my stable of supercharged W-Bodies <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=136\" target=\"_blank\">HERE</a><br /><b>\'97 Pontiac GP GTP Coupe</b><br /><b>\'98 Regal GS | L67 3800 Series II</b>

Comment

It's pretty easy to access a heavily restricted computer with a router and firewall and logging tools.

First what they do is DDoS the computer's connection. This makes the admins have to reset the connection. While reseting the connection, the firewall are not working. As soon as the connection is fixed, this is when the hackers intrude, because the firewalls take a little bit of time to start scanning again, few seconds, even minutes on a large network. Then the hackers used a backdoor that allowed a connection, the firewalls did not detect ths backdoor as a threat. They then uploaded the source code and ran.

No one is safe, at anytime some guy could decide to DDoS Microsoft, AOL, Yahoo, No matter how powerful their network is. DDoS can take down anyone. But after the attack, its hard to get away. Anyone can trace a connection to a source. They call the ISP and ask who owns the IP address. And its all over for the attacker, unless he is really slick.

Comment

True anything can be hacked.. and even the source code of a program can be deciphered from a compiled program. If hackers want something bad enough one of them WILL get it, you can't stop it unless your not plugged into any network lol. Even then they may come in through the window
          00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X