Transmission opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission opinion

I may have found the perfect 2002 Camaro, it's fully loaded (including Y87), only has 7,100 miles, and the price could be right with a bit of negotiation. The only problem is that it's an automatic and I've always wanted a manual. I'm asking you guys because we have a great mix here of auto and manual hardcore enthusiasts and I'm wondering if it's worth giving up the transmission I want to get everything else. Or should I get a lesser (but brand new) car and get the transmission I want?

no problems with autos..
    New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

If you get the auto you'll be fine with it for a while and then it'll start to get to you and you'll wish from that point on your had a manual. You'll start thinking about doing the swap but you'll keep telling yourself "Nah, it's not worth it I'll just keep my auto" but it won't stop there. You'll continue to want and want and eventually need that manual transmission. You'll start posting on the boards "How much does a manual swap cost?" and you won't be able to take it anymore.

Save yourself the hassle and just find a car with the transmission and options you want. There's thousands of f-bodies out there so don't just "settle" for one that doesn't have everything you want.
      <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

Originally posted by V6Maniac:
        If you get the auto you'll be fine with it for a while and then it'll start to get to you and you'll wish from that point on your had a manual. You'll start thinking about doing the swap but you'll keep telling yourself "Nah, it's not worth it I'll just keep my auto" but it won't stop there. You'll continue to want and want and eventually need that manual transmission. You'll start posting on the boards "How much does a manual swap cost?" and you won't be able to take it anymore.

Save yourself the hassle and just find a car with the transmission and options you want. There's thousands of f-bodies out there so don't just "settle" for one that doesn't have everything you want.
        Thanks for the input! Anyone have a counterpoint?

Comment

uhm... auto is more consistent in the 1/4? :D
          And... shift kits are fun? :D :D
          <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

look for the car you want... Unless you get a great unpassable deal on it.

I want t-tops... got a good deal passed on them and basically everything that was said above is true except I want t-tops.

Comment

Originally posted by V6Maniac:

Well said.
              ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

you will get tired of shifting, or at least I did on a manual I used to have. I would rather put it in gear and cruise. Plus, I don't have to worry about rolling when buttheads pull up too close behind me on a hill.
                1996 3.8 Firebird with some mods

Comment

Originally posted by piercedan:
                  you will get tired of shifting, or at least I did on a manual I used to have. I would rather put it in gear and cruise. Plus, I don't have to worry about rolling when buttheads pull up too close behind me on a hill.
                  You will soon overcome that as an obstical with practice. I've been driving manuals since my first car and I don't even think about it anymore. I'm more conserned about getting stopped a hill in the rain, my car doesn't like to get traction in the rain and being on an incline doesn't help it lol.
                  <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

you get over it in a week, I love my manual don't see getting tired of it.

Comment

I got an auto, and wish I didn't. I'm always thinking about doing a swap!
                      99 camaro... WingsWest body kit, Billet grill, EBC Green Stuff break pads, tint\'s all the way around, magnaflow exhaust, ram air, Rebuilt trans, 3300 stall, and RS 3 alarm. FFF kit! <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/452573\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/452573</a>

Comment

After reading all the replies and thinking about it, I've decided not to buy the auto. Why spend that much money to not get exactly what I want? I could buy a brand new car for that much money, get something about as fast, and EXACTLY the options I want. Or I can just keep my eyes open and hope another low-mileage 2002 falls into my lap, this time with a manual.

Comment

I took an auto when I wanted a manual b/c of the price/availibilty at the time/low miles - so obviously I think its worth it

Comment

i got an auto and wanted a manual. i dont regret it. i got a great car and i dont have to deal with the down sides of a manual. and besides, like batmobile said, more consistant in the 1/4 [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X