debating whether or not to get a trans am - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

debating whether or not to get a trans am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• debating whether or not to get a trans am

For the past few months (ever since I met a friend with a '94 Z28) I've been wanting to step up to an 8. At first I thought about Tiago's turbo, but this friend said "then you'll have about as much power as a stock Z28. The Z'll only go higher in power, but the Camaro will be about maxed." I realize the Camaro could go higher, but it'll cost a LOT more to go higher from there (and my car's too stock to take that kind of mod right now).

I've got some money saved in the bank now and kelly blue book says my car's private party price is around 13,500, so I think with all that I could get a '98 or '99 TA. One thing I'm concerned about is reliability, though - I've had my car since it was new. I know it's been maintained and runs well (with the exemption of a few rattles and squeeks). The T/A would have many more miles on it and may not last as long from now before problems develop. I'm in college and only make around $40 or $50 a week that would be able to go toward the car, so if anything major went out on the car, it'd take months to get the money to fix (engine / trany specifically). I guess one question is, assuming the car's been properly maintained and taken care of, how long should a LS1 last before I have to worry about major problems?

My car runs good now and is much nicer than any of my friend's cars (asside from that Z28), but after riding in that LT1, I'd LOVE a trans am.

thanks,
    Rob
    Keep the Camaro with only 25k on the clock
    100.00%
    Get the LS1 and don't look back
    0.00%
    <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Just wait til you're done with your edumacation. ;)
    <i>00\' NBM Firebird~T-5<br />60\': <b>2.29 sec.</b><br />1/4: <b>14.7 @ 95.5 MPH<br />Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for me.</b></i>

Comment

I'm going to side with Blue. Keep your current 'maro. You bought it new. It's dependable. Who knows what you'll get when you buy a used Trans Am. There's a slight possibility that it was owned by the proverbial "little old lady" that just drove it to church and back, but most likely it would have been owned by an enthusiast who drove it like Andretti. And then there's the question if it's ever been in an accident...

When money is a major factor, don't risk buying someone else's problem. [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]

Wait until you're done with college, get a well paying job, and then buy a Trans Am. This way, you'll have enough money to fix it when it breaks down, afford the higher cost of insurance, and afford the $2.59/gallon premium unleaded gas that your new baby will thirst for. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      2001 white Firebird (completely stock)<br /><br />2003 Civic LX sedan for my daily commute. 115 hp (Yes, pathetic, but gets me 36 mpg!)

Comment

the TA just isnt ganna work for ya right now.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Well after having a supercharged 6 and now having an LS1 I would say as far as fun goes Id just get the Turbo for three grand and call it a day....

I personaly beleave that once people get the full kit that there are gonna be quite a few of them smoking stock Z28's through the quarter....And I think that there gonna be smoking them on stock internals with only 10 pounds of boost....

Look at john D and his non itercooled powerdyne set up.....With 10-13 pounds he went from a mid 15 to a 13.6!!!!!

Lets be for real....I know alot of people will say that a Z28 (stock ) can easily run a 13.6...

The bottom lne on that is that there are some C5 corvettes that barely beat 13.6...It just all depends on driver and track conditions...

But for a stock (non ss) Z28 to run a 13.6 you gotta be a pretty good driver and have some good conditions....

Now that was talking aout a non intercooled powerdyne....I beleave the intercooled Turbos will be getting people in the low 13's off of just 7-10 pounds.....Now your talking about putting a hurting on some stock to mild Z28's...

The only thing about the Forced Induction is that maintanance is required.....No matter how many people tell you that There FI system is great and has no Hiccups read between the lines....

ATI GUY- only got 4.5 pounds of boost at trach due to leak???

FFF guy- always having boost leaks vacuums

powerdyne guy- have major slippidge till problem is adressed

Another ATI guy- still having car tweaked for kit that was installed 4 months ago or more

Myself-3 diferent fuel pumps, blown head gasket

Im not trying to flame any one but the truth is that it is NOT EASY to get it working AT ITS FULL POTENTIAL...

The powerdyne seems to be the easiest one to make work but yeilds the slowest results in stock form with a non intercooled 6 pounds.It can how ever be converted into a powerhouse..

On the other and when you buy an LS1 you ge the power right out of the box.The only differance is so did any one else who bought the same car as you did...

My powerdyned maro wasnt as fast as a LS1 but I took more pride in it cas I had somthing more unique than they did.

But they didnt have to worry about there car nearly as much as I did.

Well They both defiently have there advantages, but in my situation Id rather have the LS1....When you have a forced induction engine you can easily start thinking about it more than other things in your life...

It almost becomes as if the charger or turbo is the actual heart of your car and the engine and body are there just to be looked at..I was almost obsessed with my FI system...

I care much less about my LS1 cas it's just another chevy v8 engine....Nonthing to special about it....

So just depends on how much time you want to give your car....I guarantee you''ll give more time to the blown 6 than the v8....
          Powerdyne 98 a4 convert<br /><br /> stock 16.6 @ 86 <br /> <br /> 6 lbs boost 15.1 @ 90 <br /> <br /> 04 A4 2.73 geared white Corvette Coupe<br /> <br /> stock- 13.5 @ 103 <br /><br />LS6 conversion-13.1 @ 107 <br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/greenglow98\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/greenglow98</a> ( pics of intercooled powerdyne)

Comment

well said
            ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

good points...especially crazygrrrl...well, that's one more thing to add to the list of toys to get when I get out of college and a real job.
              <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X