I read people saying "I got the V6 to prepare myself for V8" or "That kid doesn't.... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I read people saying "I got the V6 to prepare myself for V8" or "That kid doesn't....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read people saying "I got the V6 to prepare myself for V8" or "That kid doesn't....

... know how to drive a sports car" or something like that.

Apparently there are some kind of skills I need to learn?... Seems like except for rwd and the power a car is a car and most of the same concepts apply.

Tell me what I need to know oh driving gurus! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

"Except for RWD and power?" Those are two HUGE factors in the way the car will respond to your inputs. For one thing, if you are young and inexperienced, a V8 is simply too much power for your ability. You'll be unable to control it properly or else (being immature like we ALL were/are) get yourself into a situation that you lack the ability to get back out of. A simple decision like giving the car more or less throttle can either save your *** or send you spinning into a median. If you start with a six, you'll have more time to get used to the dynamics of driving. Power has a direct correlation with difficulty. That it's RWD won't necessarily make it harder to drive, just harder to drive WELL. You're right that most of the same concepts apply, but like I said, it becomes much more difficult as power increases. You have to walk before you can run.

Comment

Sure, most of the same concepts apply. A car is just a car, however...

I bet the majority of kids who drive V8's that mommy and daddy bought them don't take into consideration a lot of things:

1) There are other people out on the road.

2) Tires and brakes. With how much tirespin you can be producing, if you do not have properly rated or inflated tires, BAM! Better hope you're not headed towards something. Also, slowing down a faster moving force obviously puts more stress on the brakes. You can do a lot of searches on boards about warped rotors, etc. I've read MANY horror stories about people losing their car around a turn. That would not be fun.

3) Control. It pretty much comes down to self control. Most kids think they are the top dawg because they have a sports car. Well, little Johnny better know how to brake properly, handle a fishtail, etc while having his foot on the pedal.

Going from a 3.8L V6 to a 5.7L V8 seems to be a HUGE difference once the modding started. Having a few scares, I only open it up when I know it's safe. If I didn't start with a V6 and went straight to this car and modding it, I'd be either really hurt or dead. I used to do some pretty stupid things in my V6 [mainly due to me being younger]. Let it be known I don't try that stupid stuff in my car now a days.

&lt;/soapbox&gt;

That's my opinion...I know those apply to even a V6, but having experienced both worlds, these are what stick out in my mind.
      2002 NBM Firehawk #312 | <a href=\"http://hawk.visionsconnect.com\" target=\"_blank\">hawk.visionsconnect.com</a>

Comment

Some people can handle the going to an 8 some cannot...

unfortuneately everyone thinks they can...

Its funny how 85% of the people who race on the road and think they are experts have been driving for 5 years or less.

IF you think you can get a v8 and not kill yourself like just about everyone thinks then go for it.

Buy a ls1 Camaro, and if you wreck it can I have your center console piece? I need the part with the ashtray and shifter boot.(BTW ever notice there are lots of places with late model f-body junk cars)

Comment

lol, I'm not getting a V8, but I figure a 200 HP V6 with 225 torque will be a huge step up from my 140 HP whatever (very low) torque car. After I upgrade intake and exhaust it will hopefully be 220-230 HP and that's a pretty powerful car compared to what I'm used to driving.

So here's a theoretical situation:

I'm going around a 45º turn (I've got a mental image of a place I regularly drive on right now). It's a wide turn and the speed limit there is 45. Lets say I take the turn at 60 or 65, and I'm fishtailing... well I'm supposed to turn into the direction of the fishtail, but I'm going around a turn... is there any way out of it?

I rarely ever hit 10 over so that is kind of overblown but it could rain someday and that could happen. Is it possible to let it fishtail a bit longer then pullout? I can just imagine myself spinning out into the ditch.
          Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Comment

It'll take a ton of correcting and counter-correcting. Let's hope you don't put yourself into that scenario. Sad thing is, many think they can do whatever the hell they think and that's why [as mentioned] there are many late-year Fbody parts in salvage yards. These cars are no god-sends, even though we'd all like to think so. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh btw, I hope I'm not coming across as arrogant or an expert. It's just the truth that the more years you're driving, the more experience you get.
            2002 NBM Firehawk #312 | <a href=\"http://hawk.visionsconnect.com\" target=\"_blank\">hawk.visionsconnect.com</a>

Comment

My experience with my camaro is that if the back end let's go the easiest solution is to get off the gas and turn slightly into the skid... My car will grab and straighten itself out in no time and if I have turned too much into the skid you will just swing into another fishtail.
              98 Silver Camaro V6<br />15.238 @91.74 w/ 2.288 60\'<br />Mods: K&N, FTRA, Pacesetter Headers, Spec 3 Clutch, 160 Thermo, TSP Rumbler, 3\" Catco, Whisper Lid, 3.42\'s w/LSD, Aluminum DS, Man Fan Switch<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain

Comment

its harder to fishtail if you don't have LSD. But with LSD its also easier to recover if you lose the tail.(at least in my opinion)

If you are making a left turn and the rer starts to come out, you countersteer to the right. Gotta kind of react fast before you get too far out. Then you have to be careful if the car snaps back to traction and you over correct and start rotating the car to the right when you are making a left turn. Jsut take it easy before you start pushing the limits of your car, don't jump right in, just ease into it. You shoudl be fine.

Its not going to be that insane of a jump. But going from no car to first car as a 300+ hp RWD car is a bad idea in my opinion.

BTW... it is possible to lose control and not be speeding, in my old car I was taking a left turn in a 6 lane intersection at about 35mph in the rain with bald tires, was kind of half paying attention, I shifted to second, was letting the clutch out, but my sandals were wet, my foot slipped off the clutch, and dumped it, got the end around, and since I wasn't paying attention I corrected to late. I didn't do a 360 and lose complete control but I didn't get the car where I wanted it to go.

Just pay attention when you drive, but that advice is for all cars no matter how fast or slow they are.

Comment

If you get sideways and the front wheels are still straight once you let off the car is going to fix it self.
                  So if your loud mouths shaking and your consoles vibrating<br />bald 17 inch ZR1s got you Trans Am skating

Comment

Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleicvitriol:
                    lol, I'm not getting a V8, but I figure a 200 HP V6 with 225 torque will be a huge step up from my 140 HP whatever (very low) torque car. After I upgrade intake and exhaust it will hopefully be 220-230 HP and that's a pretty powerful car compared to what I'm used to driving.

So here's a theoretical situation:

I'm going around a 45º turn (I've got a mental image of a place I regularly drive on right now). It's a wide turn and the speed limit there is 45. Lets say I take the turn at 60 or 65, and I'm fishtailing... well I'm supposed to turn into the direction of the fishtail, but I'm going around a turn... is there any way out of it?

I rarely ever hit 10 over so that is kind of overblown but it could rain someday and that could happen. Is it possible to let it fishtail a bit longer then pullout? I can just imagine myself spinning out into the ditch.
                    First off, if you know it's a potentially dangerous curve... slow down. Especially if it's raining. You have the complete power to make that curve a safe place to be.

That said, you might want to consider taking a performance/emergency driving course. Many will lower your insurance rate, they're fun, and they'll show you how to handle your car in just such situations. They take you out and show you how your car reacts in panic-braking or fishtail situations and how to survive. They also show you how to drive properly so you don't end up in those situations.

Comment

I think you're overanalyzing it.

You're a young, inexperiened driver, and the only thing to make you a better driver is to drive for many years.

It takes time and many years of practice to become an experienced driver, regardless of what you're driving. You're just more likely to kill yourself with 350 horsepower & 350ftlbs of torque at the mercy of your inexperienced right foot.

Having been driving for 10 years now, I can tell you if my first car was my Z28, I probably woud have wrecked it. I used to "hot-rod" my V6 10X more than I do my Z28. In fact, I've really only "Opened Up" the LS1 a handfull of times in the near year I've had it, whereas my V6 was "opened" a lot more often. It's all about common sense, self control, and of course, experience.

Good luck
                      <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Thanks guys!

I think the biggest part of it is with the car I have now... it's FWD, so switching to RWD will be the biggest change. RWD is a little more crazy, but I'm an 18 year old and I kind of like that lol.

I would LOVE to take emergency driving courses... I've read up on stunt driving courses and they cost like 3k for 6 weeks O_o.... yeah... right. Is it a few hundred bucks for those because if so I might do it.

Comment

It is the same with bikes. For your first bike would you own say an YZF-R1 or hyabusa? No way to much power for inexperienced, you would kill yourself. Most people realize that, but all of sudden put them in a car they dont see the difference in horsepower. It is almost like the being surrounded in metal makes them feel more invinceable. The sad truth is the car makes you more dangerous because now you can seriously harm others at slower speeds instead of just harming yourself.

If you treat driving a car way you should ride a bike, start small to get the hang of it, then move up. You and others sharing the road will be GREATFUL.
                          2001 Camaro A4<br />K&N air filter<br />Bone stock other than that<br /><br />(+[_]+) PSP

Comment

Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleicvitriol:
                            Thanks guys!

I think the biggest part of it is with the car I have now... it's FWD, so switching to RWD will be the biggest change. RWD is a little more crazy, but I'm an 18 year old and I kind of like that lol.

I would LOVE to take emergency driving courses... I've read up on stunt driving courses and they cost like 3k for 6 weeks O_o.... yeah... right. Is it a few hundred bucks for those because if so I might do it.
                            The stunt-driving or race-driving schools are a lot more expensive. This is usually a one-day or weekend-long class for maybe $200.

Comment

I went from driving a 1986 Prelude (105hp) to my 96 Maro and all I can say is I am glad I didnt have a V8 to start off. I am a very good driver never had an accident or ticket and yet I was close to wiping out a couple of times (mainly due to wet road conditions and cheapo rear tires).

Getting a V6 fbody would be ok, just take it easy until you get used to the difference in power to your old car.
                              Lenore<br />Red 1996 Camaro 3.8L M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series, Pro-5.0 Shifter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X