Stored my car for the winter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stored my car for the winter.

I put my car away for the winter.. it's been in my garage for awhile now, well ive heard that if you leave your car sit for a long period of time, you should jack it up on jack stands so the suspension can uncompress?
    anyone hear this or think its a good idea to do?
    i have a heated garage so i dont think i need to winterize it in anyway but is there anything else anybody can think of that should be done? :eek:
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

how is sitting in a garage any different from being parked? I've never heard of jacking it up, and I cant see the point. Esp since its only for a few months.

The only thing I'd do is unplug the battery, or start the car for a few min every few weeks so the battery doesnt die. I'd personally just run the car every now and then so get all the fluids moving and to keep the battery alive.

Comment

If you do let it idle for a while, make sure the garage door is open ;) . Mine is in my barn (metal barn), all I've done is disconnected the battery and left my windows down a little. I'm sorta worried about flat spots on my tires...
      <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

if it sits in place for a long period of time the tread can actually flatten where the wheels made contact with the ground

Comment

funny I just drive mine, doesn't have any issues(scratch that it has lots of issues)
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

why store a V6 Fbody? They arent that bad in the winter. Its not a rare car or a classic.
            2003 Chrome Silver Nissan 350z 6 Speed<br /><br />2001 Bright Rally Red Camaro 3800 M5-----SOLD but missed

Comment

Originally posted by 01MaroIL:
              why store a V6 Fbody? They arent that bad in the winter. Its not a rare car or a classic.
              Some people just like taking care of their stuff.
              Red 1998 Camaro<br />Mods so far=<br />K&N

Comment

My friends drive their V6 Mustangs in the winter ('00 and '02), and lets just say I don't feel at all safe when there is snow on the roads in their cars. I feel much safer in my '86 Cutlass, because its a tank. That and I had another car avaliable, so why not use it? Also, I don't want rusted quarter panels in 5 years. The roads here usually get salted all to hell, and I don't feel like going to the carwash every weekend to wash my car.
                <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

Originally posted by Stock98camaro:
                  ]Some people just like taking care of their stuff.
                  So you just not drive vehicles in the winter?

I drive my year round but of course I am in Orlando, I just put a coat on because its in the 50s...
                  -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

If we got more snow here I'd store mine. It sucks in the snow and I don't like it getting dirty. Can't justify it though, because it MAYBE snows twice a year here.
                    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock98camaro:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 01MaroIL:
                      Some people just like taking care of their stuff. </font>[/QUOTE]i live outside chicago and my car looks clean and shiny. ill provide pics if needed [img]smile.gif[/img] i was just wondering why people would pay to store a base model camaro. Now if it were a z28 or SS than i would agree 100%.
                      2003 Chrome Silver Nissan 350z 6 Speed<br /><br />2001 Bright Rally Red Camaro 3800 M5-----SOLD but missed

Comment

Hey i used to store my v6 too, noithing wrong with that. Now i store the formula. I have had teh same beater going on 3 years now. Thing runs like a champ and gets great gas mileage.

You can get flat spots on your tires, a way to avoid that is put the car on jackstands or inflate your tires to about 50 psi.
                        1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
                        Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

Mine is. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

and.. the fact that winters suck up here. Ever hear of snow or salt? :D
                          2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                          1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                          2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                          2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                          2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Another strategy (which I use) is to have a beater, use it mostly during the winter, but keep the Firebird up and ready for nice days. We have a lot of those in Denver winters. There's been quite a few top down days (like yesterday) here.
                            2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Yeah main reason i really dont trust other people.. my car has never been wrecked and the previous owner who is also the original owner stored the vehicle every winter also.. i have a jeep wrangler i drive around now so it really doesnt make a big deal.. i start the car once a week or so and let it warm up.. the battery seems fine also
                              I have taken it out once in the snow and it wasnt terrible to drive but why take the chance..
                              *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X