Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No hockey this season

well at least not for a while:
    The National Hockey League's Board of Governors today unanimously reconfirmed that NHL teams, upon the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement at midnight tonight, will not play again until there is a new economic system.

Following today's meeting in New York, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman addressed the media. Excerpts from the address follow:

"For the past several years, as flaws in the current economic system have become increasingly difficult to overcome, we at the National Hockey League have done everything possible to negotiate a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that works, day-in and day-out, to serve the best interests of all involved.
    "Sadly, those efforts have not achieved their objective. And as the League stands at the threshold of the conclusion of the current CBA, which occurs at midnight tonight, it is my somber duty to report that at today's meeting, the Board of Governors unanimously re-confirmed that NHL teams will not play at the expiration of the CBA until we have a new system which fixes the economic problems facing our game.
    "This action is not taken lightly -- or eagerly -- and when the Union wants to stop the posturing and acknowledges that the problems are as real as our Governors' resolve to fix them, we will be here, ready to make a fair and meaningful agreement that will usher in a new era for our game."
    "Twenty of our Clubs are losing money. There have been too many bankruptcies and too many other close calls. I have had too many owners tell me they will get out of this game if the economics are not repaired."
    "It is a fact -- a fact -- that during this CBA, a team in the top one-third in salaries has been three times more likely to make the playoffs than a team in the bottom third. That is a status quo with which we simply cannot continue to live. Our game and our fans deserve better."
    "There is no short-cut or quick fix. We need an enforceable, defined relationship between revenues and expenses. We need a system that will eliminate the disparities in payrolls, so that a team's ability to compete depends on its team-building skills, not on its ability to pay.
    "We believe that such a business model can and must be crafted in a partnership that creates shared rewards."
    "In July, we offered the union six different, creative, ground-breaking methods by which those partnership objectives could be attained.
    "Included in those frameworks was a willingness for the players to receive more than 50% of every dollar of revenues our business generates. It may be less than the players are getting now, but we won't apologize for an offer that is more than fair.
    "We offered the Union systems that would continue to pay multi-million dollar salaries to our star players. We will not apologize for contracts which could still be in excess of $6 million per year, even if some players would make less than they are now getting.
    "We offered the Union systems that would provide an average player salary of $1.3 million, U.S., per season. An average salary of $1.3 million may be less than the players are getting now, but we will not apologize for an average player salary of $1.3 million per season.
    "That said, we do apologize to our millions of fans and the thousands of people whose livelihoods depend on our game. It is truly unfortunate that we have to go through this. I assure you that no one is more unhappy about this situation than I am.
    "My pledge, at this difficult moment, is that we will correct this untenable situation the right way -- not with Band-Aids and half-measures, but in a way that will ensure the health and excitement of our game for years to come. This game's future depends upon getting the right economic system. In the absence of such a system, there is no future for our game. As difficult as today is, the reality is, we had no choice in the face of the Union's continued refusal to address economic problems that are clear to everyone but them."
    "There is a partnership deal to be made. We encourage the leadership of the players' union to join us in partnership."
    "We owe it to hockey's fans to achieve an economic system that will result in affordable ticket prices and stable, competitive franchises. The very future of our game is at stake, and the NHL's owners are united, as never before -- determined to do everything humanly possible to bring hockey's economic system into the 21st century. We have no other choice."

So anyone agree or disagree with this? Ideas?
    I am soo pissed but yet, I do also understand.
    It's a sad day :(
    New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
    RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
    crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
    The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I...........WANT.......MY.........FLYERS!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian:
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I...........WANT.......MY.........FLYERS!
      Get real ;) , the only Philly team that is good right now is the E A G L E S!!!!! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
      \"Well, we don\'t care how bad-*** some dude\'s N/A Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900+ pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you\'re gonna get a fast and furious old-school ***-whipping.\"

Comment

Get real we all know that the only real hockey team is NJ Devils. :D
        -Darin<br />1991 Red Firebird A4 (stock)<br />Alchol engineers some inject it we injest it.

Comment

Damn shame. I love hockey and hate to see the season not happening this year, at least for now. I hope they get their **** together and figure something out. The longer they wait the worse the league is gonna be off.

Go Tampa Bay!
          - Mike<br /><br />Pewter 2001 Pontiac Firebird<br />Bone stock<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nighteye\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/nighteye</a>

Comment

STARS behotch!
            <b> \'95 Camaro 3.4L A4 <i>Rikku</i><br />AutoX - Drift - Street </b><br />\"Sideways is faster.\"

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
              \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

The hard times is when true fans hang on ( not the financal crap, I mean when they play poorly ).

Go Penguins!!!!!!
                97 T-top firebird Gone but not forgotten!<br />In process of Modding a 02 Grand Am<br /> \"Dont hunt what you cant kill!\" :&gt;

Comment

GO BLUES!!!! i seriously hope they get everything straightened out and get the season started ASAP...i need my hockey.
                  1993 Olds Cutlass Ciera(The White Devil)3.3L V6 (gone)<br />New Car:2002 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 (The White Bull)

Comment

People care about hockey enough for them to go onstrike? That's the most amazing part of it!
                    <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

im happy. now on sportscenter i dont have to suffer through all the BS hockey stuff and they can get to the real sports.

Comment

go canucks, go!!!
                        97 camaro<br />black, 5 speed, t-tops, rockford fosgate cd w/4X6.5\" rockford speakers, 3\" flowmaster american thunder catback with 3\" carsound cat, SLP CAI, B&M Ripper w/leather Hurst shift knob, 5% tint.<br /> <a href=\"http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/ianwells100\" target=\"_blank\">http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/ianwells100</a>

Comment

I really just dont care, I hate hockey, and baseball hmmm and football. I like basketball though.
                          Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

CAPITALS umm I mean Crapitals :rolleyes:
                            New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
                            RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
                            crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
                            The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Originally posted by CockyV6:
                              Go Penguins!!!!!!
                              hmmm.... a team that sucked so bad the owner had to come out of retirement and go out on the ice himself to kick them in the a**?
                              \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X