You get what you pay for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You get what you pay for.

Well, I always like bragging that I only pay $1.94 /Gallon for 93 at the base gas station. Well yesterday after filling my car things went downhill.
    This morning after driving my car for about 2 miles I was stopped at a stop light and my car suddenly began to give a slight shutter. Acceleration was gone, ride was rough, SES started to flash, and exhaust leak was louder and sharper.
    Well I thought maybe that one of my header bolts came lose, gasket had cracked, or flanges had slipped.
    After work I decided that I would play with the car a little (nothing rough) to see what I could figure out. Well it comes down to the fact that I could feel a misfire...
    I went to AutoZone to get the codes read to see what was really going on. They told me their was a misfire on bank 3 and the heat sensor #1 was reading bad.
    So I believe that something was in the gas that I got yesterday and clogged my injector. Damn that cheap gas. Now I will be afraid to go back. (Although if my engine does go bad the AF will pay for a new one ;) ).
    98 Silver Camaro V6<br />15.238 @91.74 w/ 2.288 60\'<br />Mods: K&N, FTRA, Pacesetter Headers, Spec 3 Clutch, 160 Thermo, TSP Rumbler, 3\" Catco, Whisper Lid, 3.42\'s w/LSD, Aluminum DS, Man Fan Switch<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain

mm... sure it's not an ignition problem? 'bout time for all that stuff to start going south. flashing SES means that you have a misfire serious enough for your emissions to rise 1.5 times... sounds like a coil pack to me.

Comment

Yeah that happened to me once after I filled up with Wal-mart gas. My car started stuttering and accelerating slowly. Lesson learned.

Comment

Well, I will give the car tomorrow to clean up with the fuel injector cleaner that I put in. If I don't see any results by tomorrow after work I will look into getting new coils. I just put in the new plugs and wires 2 weeks ago. I will probably pull those out and check them too.
        98 Silver Camaro V6<br />15.238 @91.74 w/ 2.288 60\'<br />Mods: K&N, FTRA, Pacesetter Headers, Spec 3 Clutch, 160 Thermo, TSP Rumbler, 3\" Catco, Whisper Lid, 3.42\'s w/LSD, Aluminum DS, Man Fan Switch<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain

Comment

I avoid Wal-Mart gas like the plague.

I try to always get BP gas for the Hawk. It runs really good on their gas and they have 93 which is nice. I don't like to mix brands of gas either. They all have their own certain additive that they put in the gas and I don't like to mix all those additives.
          <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

Damn dude, that sucks. I try to tell April not to get the cheep stuff, it will hurt your engine. I guess she needs to read this.
            Hope everything turns out for the better.
            New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
            RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
            crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
            The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

you might wanna check to see if one of your plug wires fell off the spark plug... has happend to me
              CaLi<br />-=|Sinister Six|=-<br /><a href=\"http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=756425\" target=\"_blank\">1999 Chevy Camaro Pewter</a><br />Have you ever wanted to know what happens<br />to a 3.8l v6 when you are doing 90mph in <br />2nd gear at 6000 rpm? pics to come soon...

Comment

Yeah, I checked that when I was checking how tight the bolts were on the headers. They all seemed fine.

Comment

on phillips 66/conoco 93 octane gas my gtp will run rough and hesitate, on shell and mobile though it runs fun. not sure what the difference is
                  Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

Hey nathan if you need a new set of coil packs just give me a call.. 450-3316.. I have a set with 8k on them that I will sell you for 35.00..
                    Jeff ..
                    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

perhaps a little condensation in the underground tanks. try some dry gas.

you should probably also consider a lower octane. unless you have some tuning, the higher octane isnt doing you any favors.

Comment

I've always heard F-Body owners gloat about Shell, Mobil, and Amoco (Mobil fan, myself). Supposedly Exxon sucks, though I'm not sure how that works with the ExxonMobil merger now. BP and Sunoco are supposed to be so-so.

I would never fill up at some ghetto no-name gas station... and at Wal-Mart? They roll back their prices, you roll back your performance!

And Nathan--why were you running premium?

Comment

i fill at 7-eleven or conoco
                          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan:
                            I've always heard F-Body owners gloat about Shell, Mobil, and Amoco (Mobil fan, myself). Supposedly Exxon sucks, though I'm not sure how that works with the ExxonMobil merger now. BP and Sunoco are supposed to be so-so.
                            Oh you little kids have so much to learn.

Exxon is the same as Mobil, theyre getting the same gas I promise. They have been merged for so long now, its silly to refer to them as seperate companies.

Amoco is the same as BP, theyre getting the same gas I promise. There is not even an Amoco company traded on wall street.. it is now BP.

100% 93 octane at BP is the same as 100% 93 octane at Exxon, they might advertise different additives but the difference, if any, would not be noticable.

Comment

I got a tank of bad gas out in Rocky Mt, Va and the same exact thing happened. Car started studdering like crazy, misfiring, flashing SES. Made me so mad cuz I had just replaced my plugs/wires 2 months before that also. Got them changed and it worked perfectly fine again, the plugs were shot to crap though afterwards. I was at a friends wedding and the house was staying at was supposed to be "just around the corner", ended up being way far away and I had to get gas out in the boonies.

I had the misfire code going, and tried some of the gas cleaners first - they did nothing. But plugs and wires cleared it all up for me.
                              AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X