changed thermostat myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changed thermostat myself

Ok guys- Now I know at lot of you are fairly knowledgable in the mechanics field. I'm very much interested in it, but not very good at it. I have an old 1988 Bonneville (it was my first car) as a back up. The heat nor a/c has worked for about a year, so yesterday I went to Napa and bought a new thermostat. I was kinda burned cuz it only cost me $11 bucks for the thermo and gasket and I thought I'd have to pay a mechanic to put it in for me. Instead of paying someone to do it I figured I'd at least try it myself. So I took the radiator hose off, unbolted the little elbow/neck thing. Pulled out the old thermostat, put the new one in and put everything back together. Took me about 45 minutes total, the hardest part was putting the elbow back on, it was a tight fit to get my ratchet in there. I finally got my tools dirty! haha. In the end nothing is leaking and I now have heat! That didn't fix the a/c, guess it needs recharged or whatever. I actually have a winter beater with heat now. I know putting a thermostat in isn't really a big deal, but I felt accomplished because I did it all by myself. You'll never learn anything unless you try it out. Just thought I'd share with you guys.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird<br />5-speed<br />Navy Blue<br />Only additions so far: Flowmaster Dual Exhaust 80 Series, K&N air filter<br /><br />1989 Ford F150<br />Alpine Green and Tan<br />300/4.9 Inline 6, automatic<br />completely stock- daily beater

Make sure to bleed the air out of the system, if there is an air bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing.

How to:
    Run the car up to full operating temp
    open hood, leave car running
    use flathead screwdriver and slowly open the screw until liquid starts streaming out
    close the screw
    yer' done!
    \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Shouldn't this be in General Tech
      2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
      1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V
      2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
      2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

No its a good thing... I was never taught how to do things... all self taught.

hell I remember being scared to do an oil change...

since then done rear end work, torn down tops of motors, cut t-tops into my car, and much much much much more.

Gotta start somewhere [img]smile.gif[/img]
        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

good job man. atleast your not to lazy to try like me..
          The confusion surrounds me <br />change is imminent<br />if I were they<br />we could be great

Comment

i was proud when i did my shocks/springs. i never thought i could have done it.
            Dave:
            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I always get nervous when I do work on my Firebird or anybody else.

For one thing, it's my gem. I have no problems at all with my other cars.

Thermostat was actually one of my first mod too. I got that idea from Stefan. One thing I didn't do is to bleed it.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

yea it saves you money when you do your own work. good ****
                96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  2 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  2 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X