My motor is screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My motor is screwed

One of my Manley valvesprings took a dump with less than 19k miles on it. Cost me a valve, rocker, and a piston so far. Here's the car: Thunder 230 cam (max lift- .575), stock heads, all boltons, etc. Manley single valvesprings (221423) w/ titanium retainers, manley pushrods, stock valves, stock rockers.

Last year I installed the cam and manley valvetrain stuff. Since then, it's seen almost 19k miles. Last weekend the #6 intake valvespring broke. The valve didn't close all the way and slapped the piston. When I bought these springs, I was told that they were good to .600 lift (I think it's even written on the box). There's no excuse for this spring breaking like it did before clocking even 19k miles. Here are some pics of the damage:

spring1
    spring2
    spring3
    piston
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

that blows! You ought to see what Manley will do about it ;)
    Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

damn thats bull****...

not sure manley will do much but they may get you a new set of springs, that is if you wanted to run them again.

Comment

wowzers...

not what i wanted to hear in the middle of my cam swap.

Comment

Ben, no worries on your swap. Your cam has alot less lift than that LS1 cam does [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't think I'd run any LS1 camshaft over .550" lift and about 224 duration without a double valve spring. Doubles are VERY cheap now, and are available with titanium retainers and all cheaper than a single with titanium retainers alot of the time. Sorry to hear about your problems!
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Wow!!! I've never seen a spring do that before.

Hmmm...that's an interesting break angle. (Mech. Engineer talking)

Sucks that it happened...hope it's fixed soon.
            UAH FSAE<br />Chief Engineer<br /> <a href=\"http://chargermotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://chargermotorsports.com</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/camaronat\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/camaronat</a>

Comment

Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
              Ben, no worries on your swap. Your cam has alot less lift than that LS1 cam does [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't think I'd run any LS1 camshaft over .550" lift and about 224 duration without a double valve spring. Doubles are VERY cheap now, and are available with titanium retainers and all cheaper than a single with titanium retainers alot of the time. Sorry to hear about your problems!
              Matt- what do you reccommend for springs? I'm currently looking at Comp 26921 (double) springs. Also definately replacing the all the bolts in the bottom end with ARP studs. Might as well throw in all new bearings as well. Any reccommendations?
              -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

What about the new comp cam beehive springs???
                2002 NBM Pontiac Firebird Formula<br />Mods: stock...<br />1997 Chevy Camaro *Gone*<br />Mods:Borla,headers,Magnaflow cat, SLP intake, NOS 5175

Comment

ok our stock heads can only take a .550 lift without some work. so why are you running a .575 lift?
                  www.turbov6camaro.com
                  1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                  4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                  7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                  11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
                    ok our stock heads can only take a .550 lift without some work. so why are you running a .575 lift?
                    LS1 ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by viper04af:
                      LS1 ;) </font>[/QUOTE]oh HE HE [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]
                      www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

sucks man. you should definalty contact the company cuase it seems like the spring was made ****ty if it went so soon. i hope things work out. time for an upgrade [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

Originally posted by viper04af:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Skinny:
                        LS1 ;) </font>[/QUOTE]oh HE HE [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]ahahahaha [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] thats funny viper
                        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
                          sucks man. you should definalty contact the company cuase it seems like the spring was made ****ty if it went so soon. i hope things work out. time for an upgrade [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Skinny:
                          LS1 ;) </font>[/QUOTE]oh HE HE [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]ahahahaha [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] thats funny viper </font>[/QUOTE]i feel kinda dumb now
                          www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
                            Matt- what do you reccommend for springs? I'm currently looking at Comp 26921 (double) springs. Also definately replacing the all the bolts in the bottom end with ARP studs. Might as well throw in all new bearings as well. Any reccommendations? </font>[/QUOTE]Don't they have specs in the back of the cam books about the recommended spring rate for each cam?

I'd be sure to measure EACH spring before re-assembling the motor... shim them up if they aren't the right rate.
                            <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

sorry to hear but i bet Manley wont do anything. 19,000 miles is a lot with that much lift. Just because they were good brand new doesnt mean they will last forever. That much lift puts a ton of extra stress and wear on the valvetrain. Hope it all goes well though! Also, you might as well get a fresh hone on the cylinders and replace the rings too!
                              <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X