Another firebird bites the dust...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another firebird bites the dust...

So it was drizzling yesterday where i was driving (hint: not St. Petersburg...) I was coming around a turn, not a sharp turn but enough that I was definitely going about 25 mph... its a 4 lane street w/ turn lanes and an island in hte middle and a 25mph speed limit. I was trying to merge right into the turn lane and I thought this guy was about to let me over - he wasnt so I slowed down, corrected back into my lane and when I touched the brakes my whole backend came around. It happened so quickly there was no instant in which I could correct - so I didnt even have a chance to **** up and over correct, I was just headed in a vector out of control.
    I suppose there may have been extra slickness right where I was to facilitate such a weird occurance.

The car jumped the island and gets smashed by a crazed minivan going in excess of 50mph (estimation by passenger of minivan).

The minivan hits me on the front passenger side knocks me around into him and he is deflected off about 30 feet away (he never lost much momentum as the passenger says he didnt even make any effort to avoid me) and Im knocked 20 feet forward.

I get out, cross the street and ask him "is everyone ok?" I stick out my hand and introduce myself and instead of giving me his name he just said "youre gonna have to pay for my old lady's car" and of course I know Im at fault but I just say "well lets exchange insurance information, call the police, and get something worked out" he says well hold on I need to go get my wife. He walks off... I figure his wife lives around the corner or something.
    Well I get the cops there - and by the time the tow truck arrives the guy still hasnt shown up (this is about 90 minutes after the accident).
    The passenger doesnt know the guys name, theyre both day laborers, yadda yadda yadda.
    The passenger does say in regards to me that he didnt think I was going all that fast and that it was just a freak accident and that his driver didnt do anything to avoid tyhe accident really.
    THe police consider the other driver fleeing the scene and of course suspect that since he left an accident he wasnt responsible for that he must be guilty of something.

I got no tickets and it was found "no fault". Its lucky for me - but in the end, I really think that no ammount of experience on my part could have prevented this.

**** happens.

First person who starts in on me about driving safe and learning to control my vehicle or calls bs on how fast I said I was going gets a nice rectal exploration with a broom stick.

I admit I dont have the most time behind the wheel - almost 7 years and maybe 100k-120k miles mostly congested highways and city driving. I dont claim Im the best - I even admit its technically my fault, however I refuse to accept that 99% of drivers would have not had this freak occurance given the right circumstances.

[ October 17, 2004, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: GrigoryRasputin ]

that sucks man, sorry to hear. at least everyone was ok.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/briansr\" target=\"_blank\">97 White Pontiac Firebird 3.8 A4</a><br />Mods- 2.75\" exhaust, Dynomax muffler, magnaflow cat, SLP CAI, Hypertech 160* thermo, Fan switch<br />Suspension-Kumho Ecsta 712\'s, 32mm/19mm sway bars<br /><br />Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don\'t fail us now. <br />-Elwood Blues

Comment

Originally posted by GrigoryRasputin:
      First person who starts in on me about driving safe and learning to control my vehicle gets a nice rectal exploration with a broom stick.
      OK, guess you should've been a Bush supporter ;)

but seriously, it's good that you & none else was hurt. Too bad about that dude running off, keep us posted (he must be a third party supporter ;) ) .IS the bird toitalled, or jsut out of commission for now?
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

the officer was like "yeah whats it worth? 8-10 grand.. its definitely totalled" and I was like "uh no.. maybe half that" and she was like "oh ****, its toast"

No official word from the insurance company - but I'd say its gonna be more than 2-3 grand in damage.

Comment

If you had been driving a Camaro you wouldn't have lost control ;)

Sorry to hear about the 'Bird, **** happens. Buy a V8 if you can :D Just be glas everyone is ok and you got no tickets.
          -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

sorry buddy. just be happy that the guy ran cause now you arent effected by this...insurance payments i mean. blame bush huh? [img]tongue.gif[/img] j/p

spend a few weeks with the insurance and hold out as long as you can before settling to be sure your not hurt in anyway that might come up later on a few weeks down the road.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

You're OK and you got hit by a 50 mph minivan?

That's quite an accomplishment [img]smile.gif[/img] Either for your phyiscal character, or the safety ratings of a firebird heh.

Any plans on your next car? That is, if the insurance company doesn't cheat you like they can do sometimes.
              After something like that, I'd want to buy an H2 or something lol.
              <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Originally posted by GrigoryRasputin:

No official word from the insurance company - but I'd say its gonna be more than 2-3 grand in damage.
                [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                i hit a wall at 25 spun arounf and wacke the rear and it only hit the rear fender a tiny bit and mosly placit damage and it was 4-5k to fix the car

glad your ok thouh same thin happened to me only it was black ice
                www.turbov6camaro.com
                1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/local/RSXX0091

Looks like it rains quite often out there Nate.
                  Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Be glad you were okay. Any plans on a replacement car?
                    2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Did it just start raining? If so some oil must have risen to the surface with the runoff and you hit it just right. Bad juju. This is kinda like hitting the "marbles" if you watch much racing. Okay, well, I know marbles are chunks of rubber, and you hit oil, and they don't quite race in the rain much... oh well, you get the point...) ;)

Glad to hear you're alright. At least one more 'Bird is off the road though... [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img] J/K
                      Check out my stable of supercharged W-Bodies <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=136\" target=\"_blank\">HERE</a><br /><b>\'97 Pontiac GP GTP Coupe</b><br /><b>\'98 Regal GS | L67 3800 Series II</b>

Comment

GOD DAMN BUSH! HE IS AT IT AGAIN! :mad:

Comment

grigory rasputin=hawgs
                          ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

Originally posted by jc Kyle:
                            grigory rasputin=hawgs
                            [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                            So very wrong... and such an insult too LOL
                            <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Magnus=Scott Black=Bradley Palmer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X