I was downsized on Thursday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was downsized on Thursday.

Yes, I have now officially become a statistic. You hear about unemployment in the news but it never really applies until it hits home and slaps you right in the face.

I'm not going to disclose details here... but twenty very talented and well-paid people were laid off on Thursday, rumor has it that there are ten more coming next week. At a company with 150 employees, that's quite a bit.

I did receive a decent severance package which will tide us over for the next two months or so. First thing I did was go to the Virginia Employment Commission and register for unemployment insurance benefits. I get my first check in three weeks. I did qualify for the maximum (point for Virginia) which was $326 a week but that's still not very much--that's $8.15 an hour take-home, equivalent to someone making $10 an hour gross. But it is better than nothing. By my math, if I don't make the same amount I was making ($43,000) by January 1 we'll start to see a slide in our quality of living.

Though I would love to blame the layoff itself on Bush, I really can't. The layoffs were because of overoptimistic sales forecasts that resulted in a $20 million revenue shortfall. Spending was also out of control. It was mindless management--not a bad overall economy--that caused this first round of layoffs.

It is, however, Bush's fault that the unemployment rate in general is this high. I don't doubt that I'll find a new job in the next few weeks but there are a LOT of skilled people out there that are looking for work. I'm competing with people much more talented than I am to get the same pay I was making. Though the layoffs weren't the poor economy's fault, the fact that I will very likely take a pay cut just to get a job again is.

My second major bone to pick is my health insurance. I can keep my current plan for up to 18 months under COBRA laws... but the company is no longer subsidizing it. Now my monthly premium will be going from $15 to $288. I'm f'ing better off going with a private insurance company. So not only have I lost my job but I've lost my insurance and have incurred an additional $150-$200 a month expense.

But according to Bush, nothing's wrong with the American health care system. "The American health care system is the envy of the world." Yeah. Your world. :rolleyes:

If he were here in my apartment (that costs $1,725 a month) I'd ***** slap him.

So I guess I'll just see what happens. There are a lot of positions open on careerbuilder.com and all the other major sites but there is a surplus of supply with workers and a shortage of demand in terms of jobs. I'm being pitted against people with 10+ years more experience than me who are desperate for work so they'll sink to my pay level. So what must I do to compete and actually get a job? Sink to the pay level of a college intern, I suppose.

I don't have my MBA or CPA yet, I can't be picky.

Screw the Bush Administration. I'm sure his corporate CEO buddies are laughing because they can get slaves like me to accept less pay and therefore richen their own fat stock options. But one day I'll be there with them and I'll smack them all down.

Done ranting now. Back to www.careerbuilder.com.

Yep...blame Bush for the huge recession from the Clinton era and the million or so jobs lost with 90 days of 9/11. Not a bash on you cause that really sucks dude. I'm fresh outta college and lucky I found a job but still worry about losing it.
    <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Originally posted by speedy-v6-camaro:
      Yep...blame Bush for the huge recession from the Clinton era and the million or so jobs lost with 90 days of 9/11.
      Bush had plenty of time to fix that. But war with a third world country that no one gives a damn about was more important.

Comment

im sorry to hear about your problem stefan.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I feel for ya Stefan, but hey its never to late to get back in the wonderful world of cold calling LOL!

Ive been laid off once, about 2 months before i graduated college. The ironic part about that is I was making more in unemployment than I was when I was working.

Anyways, I hope you figure it out soon. GOod luck finding something.
          What\'s her last name? I\'ll look it up.<br />You know I don\'t recall. Swim, Swammy, Slippy, Slappy, Simmons, Sommons, Swenson, Swanson?<br />Maybe it\'s on the briefcase.<br />Oh yeah! It\'s right here, Samsonite! I was way off! I knew it started with an S though!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan:

If he were here in my apartment (that costs $1,725 a month) I'd ***** slap him.
            wow! my mortgage is just a little more than half that. i live 10 miles outside the beltway in a 3 story townhouse.

sorry to hear about your employment issues.

Comment

Sorry man :(
              Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
              nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
              2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
              2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

That really sucks man, weren't you saving for a house?

I'll buy your bird for 1 month's rent :D
                <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Batmobile:
                  That really sucks man, weren't you saving for a house?

I'll buy your bird for 1 month's rent :D
                  thats just wrong man
                  www.turbov6camaro.com
                  1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                  4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                  7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                  11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by chas:
                    wow! my mortgage is just a little more than half that. i live 10 miles outside the beltway in a 3 story townhouse.
                    You must have bought your house twenty years ago then... townhouses today here in Northern Virginia run $350,000+... we're looking.

Comment

You must have bought your house twenty years ago then... townhouses today here in Northern Virginia run $350,000+... we're looking.
                      i bought it about seven years ago. it was $130,000. similar units in my development are now going for &gt; $250,000. the housing market in northern virginia has been very strong the past couple years. turns out this was a pretty good investment. my initial mortgage rate was 8% but i refinanced two years ago to 6.5%.

i would like to move to a house but to get something reasonable i would need to move pratically to manassas (like a co-worker). an hour commute (one-way) would just be crazy though. right now its about 15 miles to work for me or the wife. that's a nice 20-30 minute commute.

Comment

Wow. I'm sorry man. That really sucks. I'm sure you'll be able to find a job in time. If not, you could always join us in the air force! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                        2000 silver A4 Camaro<br />Whisper lid; Free Ram Air; BMR stb; MSD super conductor wires; Gatorback belt?<br />1986 RX-7 (daily driver)

Comment

www.imanet.org
                          (Look for the local chapters or councils near you. You don't necesarily need to be a member - many councils have "Employment Director" members who put out free alerts and updates as to local opportunities.)

www.fei.org
                          (If you are not a member, contact someone who is who can hook you up with log-in to search the career opportunities.)

www.monster.com
                          (of course)

www.chiefmonster.com
                          (Sometimes has listings that can be a fit)

www.financeladder.com
                          (They have free listings as well as listings you have to pay to access.)

www.careerjournal.com
                          (Lots of DC area listings)

The bits you mentioned about severance sounds at least, as you stated, decent. Also, apparently, you were notified on a Thursday instead of a Friday which is the typical notification day. Presumably, that may have given you an extra day to deal with the situation. Often, the employer wants to get as much work as possible out of the "separating" employees before they dump them, so they wait until Friday mid-morning or lunch time and announce special meetings.

Send an email if I can be of any help.
                          I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                          CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                          FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

wow dude that really sucks

my dad lost his job about a year and a half ago and we almost had to sell our house. just keep on truckin like my dad did and eventually you'll find a job
                            Red 1998 Camaro 3.8<br />K&N and Home Depot<br />2 12\" JL W3v2 Subwoofers<br />-more audio stuff to come-

Comment

Sorry to hear about that. However, I'm sure it won't take long for you to get back on your feet.

I don't have my MBA or CPA yet,
                              Were you currently working on that?
                              2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X