Thinking about trading-in the Maro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about trading-in the Maro

I never thought I would ever say this but my car is majorly getting on my nerves. I guess after 3 years the hype is starting to wear off and the problems keep piling on, although I still absolutely its looks. I have been thinking about something somewhat smaller and practical but not a crapbox. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with lower end BMWs (318, 323, etc), maybe 1996-98? I know absolutely nothing about them except that they look good and are reliable. So some of my questions are which year? which model is more reliable? How's the insurance on these compared to our cars? Is it a realistic car for a college student? How many is too many miles? I am guessing fixing it will be more expensive but my car has a new problem every other day anyway. I need a car that will be fun to drive, cheap, more practical, and reliable. Sorry for the rambling...

Thanks for any input!
    Lenore<br />Red 1996 Camaro 3.8L M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series, Pro-5.0 Shifter

my roommate had a 1995 m3. its had its share of problems too though.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Realistic for a college student??

Nope.

Parts are VERY expensive..... and labor at dealers.... WOW!

Keep the f body, parts are cheaper.... insurance is cheaper....

Trust me.

I know how expensive mercedes parts/ labor/ dealer visits are.....
      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

The E36s can be very reliable, but when something does go wrong if you can't fix it on your own it is going to cost you. As far as insurance goes, you just need to call your company and findout. Pretty much any car can be practical for college if you are on campus or dont plan on hauling people and things around. In the end it will most definetly be more practical than an f-body do to having a trunk and 4 doors (depending on the model).

Comment

Originally posted by 12secondv6:
          Realistic for a college student??

Nope.

Parts are VERY expensive..... and labor at dealers.... WOW!

Keep the f body, parts are cheaper.... insurance is cheaper....

Trust me.

I know how expensive mercedes parts/ labor/ dealer visits are.....
          Agreed, if your car problems are pricey and problematic, a mid-90s BMW is the last thing you want.
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

bwm, wow style!
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Ever thought about a 5 speed Maxima? Those are nice cars if you can find one that doesn't have 150k+ on it for a good price.
              -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

integra's look alright if they're not riced out, just put a nice set of wheels on it
                It\'s a beautiful life<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035163\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035163</a>

Comment

You are looking for a car that is roughly 10 years old, reliable, good looking, fun to drive and cheap?

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Good luck.
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68:
                    You are looking for a car that is roughly 10 years old, reliable, good looking, fun to drive and cheap?

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Good luck.
                    I fail to miss the funny, the only thing it that doesn't apply in this case is "cheap" :rolleyes:
                    Aaaanyways
                    Thanks to all who replied, I guess I'll just stick with it at least until I finish school.
                    Lenore<br />Red 1996 Camaro 3.8L M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series, Pro-5.0 Shifter

Comment

I can see getting a new car... Just don't think going to a mid 90s BMw is a good idea, they aren't "that" reliable parts cost a fortune.
                      -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

You need a nice 5.0 mustang [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img] !!!!! It doesn't take hours to change the plugs!!!! and they are cheap to fix, however, it'll eat its fair share of gas:-(
                        Andrew

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X