Morality: Religion & Gov't, can they coexist? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morality: Religion & Gov't, can they coexist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_man:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blazing_Firebird:
    Though you may say that the less religion you have, the less morals you have, I find this to be completely untrue.

I am a proud liberal, and always will be. I vote split ticket, but my life viwes are purely democratic and liberal.

I am not religious. I believe there is something, but I do not believe in the politics of religion that society has resorted to these days. Religion is just as much politics as government is, and it's sad. I do not follow organized religion, because I don't like the way the majority of the operate.

But because I am not religious (actively), does not mean I do not have morals. I have higher morals than most church-goers in my area, I'd say.

And in addition, you can be un-religious (is that a word, lol), and have morals, because there are certain societal norms and mores (sociology class paid off) that govern society, and there is an absense of religion in many of those.
    I realize that this does not apply to everyone, I know people who aren't religous who have morals, and vice versa. If you are brought up to not believe in God, and someone asks you why you wouldn't cheat on someone (assuming that's part of your morals) what do you say? If you say it's not right, then why isn't it? Get what I'm trying to say?

Again, I know that you can have morals without religion, but those people are the exception not the rule. Also I'm not implying necassarilly no morals, but less.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I disagree. America has a pretty dysfunctional culture, which stems from it's lack of a background other than the medly of cultures it was created from. This, not the lack of religion, is the problem we're facing. Morality has always come from within the culture, not the various religions that govern it. Or, look at the Taliban. Would you say that was an oppressive sect of Islam? Well, they were able to put force behind their beliefs because of their position on top of the government. No truly moral religion would WANT to be given power, because power corrupts.

Let's look into this even deeper: Where did Christianity get its morals? Not God... The whole religious aspect of it is manmade, spirituality is the only real link between people and God (playing devil's advocate, plus i used to be a christian). So, you say it's against the bible to commit adultery, murder, or steal. Well and good, but for it to be against what is written in the bible, it had to first be against the culture of the men who wrote it.

Another point I'd like to make is that the Catholic Church, during it's dark age powergrab, pretty much suffocated all learning and progress. As the Church's power increased, the need for things like crusades and spanish inquisitions did too, but then, when people finally forgot the afterlife, an age of learning occurred: The Renaissance. The point is this: any time you have a religion in charge, they tend to be human and use their power to scare people into following their religion. So, you get things like the ten commandments in courtrooms, prayer in public schools that kids are forced by the government to attend, and so forth. It just isn't good for the whole freedom thing we pride ourselves on.

Comment

I disagree. America has a pretty dysfunctional culture, which stems from it's lack of a background other than the medly of cultures it was created from. This, not the lack of religion, is the problem we're facing. Morality has always come from within the culture, not the various religions that govern it. Or, look at the Taliban. Would you say that was an oppressive sect of Islam? Well, they were able to put force behind their beliefs because of their position on top of the government. No truly moral religion would WANT to be given power, because power corrupts.

Let's look into this even deeper: Where did Christianity get its morals? Not God... The whole religious aspect of it is manmade, spirituality is the only real link between people and God (playing devil's advocate, plus i used to be a christian). So, you say it's against the bible to commit adultery, murder, or steal. Well and good, but for it to be against what is written in the bible, it had to first be against the culture of the men who wrote it.

Another point I'd like to make is that the Catholic Church, during it's dark age powergrab, pretty much suffocated all learning and progress. As the Church's power increased, the need for things like crusades and spanish inquisitions did too, but then, when people finally forgot the afterlife, an age of learning occurred: The Renaissance. The point is this: any time you have a religion in charge, they tend to be human and use their power to scare people into following their religion. So, you get things like the ten commandments in courtrooms, prayer in public schools that kids are forced by the government to attend, and so forth. It just isn't good for the whole freedom thing we pride ourselves on.
      I agree with pretty much everything you said, just that I would consider the lack of religion part of the lack of background you talked about.
      New Car: 2004 GTP Comp G (Test Vehicle) 13.936@99.32 <br />Mods: Cylinder Filter,No Mufflers, 3.3\" <br />Old Car: 2000 Formula 13.124 @ 106.01 with 2.73\'s<br />Other Car: 1993 Firebird 16.1@83

Comment

The point is this: any time you have a religion in charge, they tend to be human and use their power to scare people into following their religion. So, you get things like the ten commandments in courtrooms, prayer in public schools that kids are forced by the government to attend, and so forth. It just isn't good for the whole freedom thing we pride ourselves on.
        is contridicted by

Have people not noticed a decline in morality in this country and the "concern" to take God/religion out of the classroom/workplace?

Coinicidence? I think not. When a basic/general morale compass is removed from society, it shows a tangible decline and degradation.
        Most of this has been discussed in the Pledge of Alleigance threads (do a search people). IT also leads to a country with freedom FROM religion, not freedom OF religion.
        The bastardification of Third & Fourth gen cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 [deployed]:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The point is this: any time you have a religion in charge, they tend to be human and use their power to scare people into following their religion. So, you get things like the ten commandments in courtrooms, prayer in public schools that kids are forced by the government to attend, and so forth. It just isn't good for the whole freedom thing we pride ourselves on.
          is contridicted by

Have people not noticed a decline in morality in this country and the "concern" to take God/religion out of the classroom/workplace?

Coinicidence? I think not. When a basic/general morale compass is removed from society, it shows a tangible decline and degradation.
          Most of this has been discussed in the Pledge of Alleigance threads (do a search people). IT also leads to a country with freedom FROM religion, not freedom OF religion.
          </font>[/QUOTE]So, on the prayer in schools/religious right taking over the gov't thing: why not just leave it how it is? Honestly, it's working fine...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X