X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Cosby Speaks:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sby_comments_9
    http://www.nwherald.com/MainSection/...9303141448.php

It's about time a black leader doesn't hide from the truth.

Look, I'm not racist or anything, but young blacks are going crazy with their ****. Pretty much Cosby said he's sick of young black rappers using ni**er like it's their name, lazy young black americans getting into drugs, flunking out of high school, and then blaming white people for keeping them down.

[img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

edit: added another link

[ July 02, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Skapimp ]
    2002 Silver Metallic A4 Firebird - All Options
    Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

I read that article earlier and was going to create a thread.... though I decided to pass figunring it would turn into another flame war.

now that its started though... :D

I absolutely agree with Cosby. he said a lot of good things in that speach, but I doubt he will be listened to by his target audience because they put rappers on the pedestal as their idols rather than the family value preaching Cosby. It makes me feel good that a prominent and respected member of the black community is saying some of these very same things that I feel.
    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

And Jesse Jackson, who many on this board despise was standing right there with him in support.

Its about time people realize that Jackson and Cosby are attempting to help their community and Sharpton's "empowerment" movement is only taking steps to detract from 50 years of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Machiavelli:
        And Jesse Jackson, who many on this board despise was standing right there with him in support.
        I WAS suprised to see him in that picture. I am one of those people that generally despise him, but if he supports what Cosby is saying, then that is a mark in his favor.
        \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Originally posted by Machiavelli:

Its about time people realize that Jackson and Cosby are attempting to help their community and Sharpton's "empowerment" movement is only taking steps to detract from 50 years of progress.
          I wouldn't normally expect to see Rev. Jackson associated with Mr. Cosby given his past political stance on these issues, and alignment with the NAACP. However, there is no denying what Mr. Cosby said. His points were valid and well articulated. One thing that can definitely not be denied is Mr. Cosby's passion about these issues. He wants to see the Black Community successful and respected. Enabling themselves through hard work and determination. I only hope that other leaders in the community come around to see his views are valid. Kudo's to both Mr. Cosby and Rev. Jackson for putting forth the effort raise awareness, and give direction to the people of their community.
          2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

He is absolutely right.. somebody had to say it. Too bad it won't change a damn thing.
            <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Timbo1969:
              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Machiavelli:

I wouldn't normally expect to see Rev. Jackson associated with Mr. Cosby given his past political stance on these issues, and alignment with the NAACP. However, there is no denying what Mr. Cosby said. His points were valid and well articulated. One thing that can definitely not be denied is Mr. Cosby's passion about these issues. He wants to see the Black Community successful and respected. Enabling themselves through hard work and determination. I only hope that other leaders in the community come around to see his views are valid. Kudo's to both Mr. Cosby and Rev. Jackson for putting forth the effort raise awareness, and give direction to the people of their community. </font>[/QUOTE]Very well said.
              2002 Silver Metallic A4 Firebird - All Options
              Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

i saw them talking about this on fox news last night and what bill cosby said is absolutely right
                Red 1998 Camaro 3.8<br />K&N and Home Depot<br />2 12\" JL W3v2 Subwoofers<br />-more audio stuff to come-

Comment

Originally posted by ellik:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Machiavelli:
                  I WAS suprised to see him in that picture. I am one of those people that generally despise him, but if he supports what Cosby is saying, then that is a mark in his favor. </font>[/QUOTE]He had to be there, it was at HIS Rainbow conference. And as for what he said, I totally agree but not with the way some of you placed it. I myself use the word all the time and will never stop.

With all due erspect to Mr Cosby, we share contasting points of view on the "value" of the word. His time was different from mine, which excludes me from calling him wrong as is my time from his. So, this is "my" take: whereas once the word was used to cause an uproar, to blaspheme, to lower the self-esteem of the person called it, to label an ENTIRE culture (not race, I don' believe that RACE exists becuse it talks about a purity that is no longer seen in the world of people)-the word was used to be the highest way to "degrade" a person of African American decent as possible by the tounge.....it now bears nothing of the sort; nothing even close to the meaning it had ten years ago, let along 20, 30 or a hundred years ago.

The people in my culture and this contains blacks, hispanics and even some whites- use the word because it shows that "in order to degrade me" you need to come up with something else, because "we" took the sting out of that word. Now if a racist called me a "N" who cares about the word? No one does, a least not "my" people, what we do care about it the intent of the word, and intent is what we are all interested in.

I had friends growing up who did not know that words they used to describe Asians in fact were slurs, they didn't know any better, so they could use a word that some call "harsh" and in the most sincere form of ignorance, they had no clue that they were making a racist slur.

That word no-longer has power here anymore, so those who liked the reaction they got from saying the word, now can hear it on every CD, every movie and television show that allows minor profanity; it's here. The word can no longer cause damage to the ears of little kids who are called that by people attemting to degrade them, it's not happening.

And to clarify, there are two words here, one ending "er" and the other ending "ar" if you can't decifir, then leave it alone. I have three distinct white friends to this day in a conversation I may refer to them as "my N"-it's in context, and you must understand that. They understand that to the point as they don't say it in casual speech, but if it's in a song......hell he says it, if it's a part in a movie......he says it, it's all about your intentions.

Intent vs Content people, it's a HUGE problem that America continues to deal with. We'll get through it man, we always do.

-Scott
                  -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

I don't listen to rap like I used too. Now that one is all about putting down the black community. The way they describe their women too is like they are nothing more beef to be pounded on.

I always wonder why the black community never stood together against that. I'm not black but I was deeply disturb, and I got turn off from listening anymore.

When a criminal gets beaten by the cops or so they say, the black communities get together to protest against that. Yet nothing is said about the people this guy murdered. There is just something wrong with that.

So kudos to Cosby and Jackson.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor:
                      I don't listen to rap like I used too. Now that one is all about putting down the black community. The way they describe their women too is like they are nothing more beef to be pounded on.

I always wonder why the black community never stood together against that. I'm not black but I was deeply disturb, and I got turn off from listening anymore.

When a criminal gets beaten by the cops or so they say, the black communities get together to protest against that. Yet nothing is said about the people this guy murdered. There is just something wrong with that.

No offense but you don't get the half my man. Music is music....it's not real life man. For every rapper that talks about women that way, there are 50 more who don't-50 more who talk about life and prosperity, you just don't hear about them because it's not news; it's just music. And yes, WE did protest against the down-talking of our women. You don't remember when protests were going all over the country to ban rap? This was coming from blacks, you can't look at half of the picture. Most of the cats you hear talking that "old and played out" degrading music have wives and kids of their own, people grow up and grow out....hip-hop is no different. And real gangsters don't rap man, those guys don't kill and murder people, these cats live next door to Bruce Willis, Steven Spielberg...etc
                      I respect your POV, but it's lop-sided my friend,. It's just music........music
                      -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

Originally posted by Christian:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mighty Thor:

No offense but you don't get the half my man. Music is music....it's not real life man. For every rapper that talks about women that way, there are 50 more who don't-50 more who talk about life and prosperity, you just don't hear about them because it's not news; it's just music. And yes, WE did protest against the down-talking of our women. You don't remember when protests were going all over the country to ban rap? This was coming from blacks, you can't look at half of the picture. Most of the cats you hear talking that "old and played out" degrading music have wives and kids of their own, people grow up and grow out....hip-hop is no different. And real gangsters don't rap man, those guys don't kill and murder people, these cats live next door to Bruce Willis, Steven Spielberg...etc
                        I respect your POV, but it's lop-sided my friend,. It's just music........music
                        </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, i'm a punk... I fully agree that music is music. Rap is annoying, but some of it is cool... Basically I agree with what Cosby said but hell, why just the black people? I know white kids that say ni**er like the word: it or something. Crack heads, drug users... i mean hell, they're always gonna be around and no amount of the word ni**er is gonna change that lol. I like to blame the president for the socioeconomic decline that's taken place since he took office, but I realize this goes against some of you guys' beliefs. So, maybe it's just that people in general these days are lazy and unsuccessful just because of themselves and a lack of motivation. Whichever seems more logical to you... Anyway, [/rant]

Comment

Next to Jay-Z.......Avril [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] is getting the most spins in the whip right now (the first joint, not the last one).

Comment

Originally posted by 98v6:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
                            I respect your POV, but it's lop-sided my friend,. It's just music........music [/qb]</font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, i'm a punk... I fully agree that music is music. Rap is annoying, but some of it is cool... Basically I agree with what Cosby said but hell, why just the black people? I know white kids that say ni**er like the word: it or something. Crack heads, drug users... i mean hell, they're always gonna be around and no amount of the word ni**er is gonna change that lol. I like to blame the president for the socioeconomic decline that's taken place since he took office, but I realize this goes against some of you guys' beliefs. So, maybe it's just that people in general these days are lazy and unsuccessful just because of themselves and a lack of motivation. Whichever seems more logical to you... Anyway, [/rant] [/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they are all bad. I still like old school and some of the new artist today. But I'm talking about hardcore ones. When I accepted Jesus in my life those things just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

When I accepted Jesus in my life those things just doesn't appeal to me anymore. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Best thing I ever read on this site pimp [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X