So what do you think of this (computer related, clean wipe) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do you think of this (computer related, clean wipe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what do you think of this (computer related, clean wipe)

Got hit with that spyware that changes your backdrop and other stuff on my desktop... Read about it in some threads on some other boards so its semi-common, and apparently even computer geeks were having a few issues removing it.

Either way its been like over a year and a half, figure time for a clean boot. I picked up a external dvd burner(wanted one anyways) backed up all my important files and did a clean format and re-install of XP pro...

What do you think of this for "everyday person" security. Don't need my computer to be CIA proof, and this stuff is free.

Microsoft Antispyware
    AVG Free Edition
    Windows XP SP2 firewall
    Windows Update (auto update)
    Mozilla Firefox

I stand by firefox btw... I have firefox on the laptop but not my desktop(have IE) visit all the same sites, my desktop got hit with the spyware, my laptop didn't
    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Should be good with that stuff going. Just be careful what you download, and which websites you go to that try to trick you into installing spyware/toolbar kinds of things and you should be fine.

Never heard of Microsoft Antispyware, I just check mine occasionally with Adaware SE.

Your comp probalby runs like a champ after the reformat! Just make sure to update chipset drivers and stuff.
    97 Camaro 3.8 M5<br />Red<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow full 3\" catback<br />Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat<br />Gotta love it.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/849743/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/849743/1</a>

Comment

Originally posted by phil97.3.8:
      Should be good with that stuff going. Just be careful what you download, and which websites you go to that try to trick you into installing spyware/toolbar kinds of things and you should be fine.

Never heard of Microsoft Antispyware, I just check mine occasionally with Adaware SE.

Your comp probalby runs like a champ after the reformat! Just make sure to update chipset drivers and stuff.
      I love Adaware SE! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

2000 Pewter Pontiac Transam 360rwhp, 370ftlbs
      1998 Sport Gold Metallic Chevrolet Camaro *SOLD*
      1974 Silver Chevrolet BIG BLOCK Corvette

Comment

Originally posted by Question:
        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by phil97.3.8:

I love Adaware SE! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]Adaware is crap compared to Microsoft's Antispy. I would run Adaware and come up clean, then run Antispy and find like 30 spyware files.

You might also want to try Norton or McAffee's virus protection over freeware.
        -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

I was thinking of doing it but I am cheap on updated virus definitions just going ot try this free one out...

was recomended to me from an IT guy, that builds computers, he puts it on peoples computers and tey are all satisfied, automatically updates and is freee.
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:
            I was thinking of doing it but I am cheap on updated virus definitions just going ot try this free one out...

was recomended to me from an IT guy, that builds computers, he puts it on peoples computers and tey are all satisfied, automatically updates and is freee.
            I think AVG is an excellent antivirus. I perfer it over norton actually.
            <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

WebRoot SpySweeper is great, however it costs $20, but it gets ALOT of stuff Adaware/Spybot don't get.

They have a Demo Version, run it and you can see what you have on your computer. You won't be able to delete it unless your version is registered with a key.
              \'98 z28<br /> <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a245/GreatSave9/?start=all\" target=\"_blank\">http://photobucket.com/albums/a245/GreatSave9/?start=all</a>

Comment

Originally posted by greatsave9:
                WebRoot SpySweeper is great, however it costs $20, but it gets ALOT of stuff Adaware/Spybot don't get.

They have a Demo Version, run it and you can see what you have on your computer. You won't be able to delete it unless your version is registered with a key.
                I thought SpySweeper was good, but it didn't remove the two things I bought it for the first scan, and when I tried to run it again both in Safe Mode and normal it would find everything and then freeze a few seconds after starting the removal. In normal mode when I ran it it froze, then killed my video card driver and sent it to some low resolution, and when I restarted the computer Windows deleted almost every shortcut in my start menu while booting. No idea what happened, but it did a lot more damage than it solved.
                <a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/New/IMG_0085.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Black 2002 Camaro M5</a>-SS takeoff muffler, B&M Ripper, K&N Filter, 35/20% tint, Infinity speakers, Viper alarm, perpetually breaking clutch return spring mod. 15.49@90.15<br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P14.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Pewter 2002 Firebird M5 (Dad\'s Car)</a>

Comment

I'm going ot give MS anitsspy a shot....

I don't have any on my computer now anyways since I did a clean reboot and format, even rearranged my master/slave setup on my dual hardrives.

Comment

What I don't get is how the anti-virus software companies can sell products that don't do a thing about all this horroble stuff that they classify under "adware."
                    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68:
                      What I don't get is how the anti-virus software companies can sell products that don't do a thing about all this horroble stuff that they classify under "adware."
                      exactly I have already been disappointed by norton and Mcafee, so I figure might as well try something free...

I woudln't be surprised if these companies paid paople to make viruses just to help keep them in business.

Comment

I honestly don't know how anyone gets spyware. Just turn up the security settings on IE like 2 "clicks" and don't be stoopid.

Comment

Originally posted by mwh27:
                          I honestly don't know how anyone gets spyware. Just turn up the security settings on IE like 2 "clicks" and don't be stoopid.
                          No dice... I live dangerously.

I have been using McAfee lately because I just hate norton with a passion. It's the biggest piece of junk software ever.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mwh27:
                            No dice... I live dangerously.

I have been using McAfee lately because I just hate norton with a passion. It's the biggest piece of junk software ever.
                            </font>[/QUOTE]Aka he looks at pr0n. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

2000 Pewter Pontiac Transam 360rwhp, 370ftlbs
                            1998 Sport Gold Metallic Chevrolet Camaro *SOLD*
                            1974 Silver Chevrolet BIG BLOCK Corvette

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              1 day ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X