Becoming An Officer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming An Officer...

I want to be police officer this is a question to some of the officers on this board what courses do you reccoment i take?

Whats the avg salarie for a starting officer?

Is there weight regulations? Like if your so tall you have to weigh so much to join the force?

Pay would depend on the area and How risky it is. My brother is a cop in las vegas and he started in the mid 40's.
    2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

where are you? your answers are too vague for anyone to answer.

salaries change with territory. depends on cost of living, tax base, demographics, etc.

weight regulations depend on the agency. most just require you be proportionate and pass some sort of physical agility on entrance.

classes? depends on what you plan on doing.

Comment

I"m trying to become an office in Houston. They deman 60 credit hours of college with atleast a 2.0 gpa to even be considered. But thats just the tip of the iceberg. Good credit, no felonys or convictions, good physical conditions(can't remember the actual requierments on the physical conditions) and a few other things. And in Houston a first year cadet starts off at 25K a year or so, and goes up with more college credits. I'm studying Criminal Justice right now and working on an Associates Degree.

Gary

Comment

Im in Houston Tx and all i want to be is an traffic officer.

Comment

yea, some depts. dont even require degrees.

depts around my area avg is probably about 40K salary, but some start at like 65K. theres a sick waiting list to get into those though.

also, dont look primarily at salary. benifits are a huge factor, and as an officer, you will get tons of overtime. i personally know officers 3 or 4 years into their jobs at 65K starting depts. who are making almost 4 digits with OT and events.

my suggestion? get a degree. BS in Crim Justice works, but economics, forign language, business, etc, can all be used in law.

Comment

Originally posted by CAMAROWIDBASS:
              Im in Houston Tx and all i want to be is an traffic officer.
              you're going to have to do time running a beat on night shift with wednesday and thursday off for a few years before you can even begin to consider that.

traffic is a specialty inside police work. i am strictly traffic and an accident investigator. i didn't get that position overnight.

Comment

Whats a dept that doesnt require a degree?

Comment

about 98% of texas agencies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X