Welding help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding help.

Anyone know the difference between Electric Arc welding and Oxygen/Acetylene welding?
    -Rick<br /><br />Bright White \'95 Firebird Convertible 3.4L A4 - Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back, Zexel Torsen Posi-traction, Black Checkered Stripes, Clear Corners, Misc. Appearance Mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741</a> <br /><br />AIM ID: AxSlane

i belive the "oxygen/acetylene" is more commonly known as "brazing" if im right, i did that in metal class last year. i also used a arc welder.

the difference's, well the oxy/acetylene is kinda like soldering, but at a higher temp, and its MUCH stronger. but not as strong as and arc weld.and the arc welds will be able to stand more heat too. IMO brazing was alot more fun, but i like fire. welding was harder. i dont know much about either but ive done both.
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

hmm... yes, and NO. one just uses 6000* fire while the other uses a very strong electrical current. oxy/acetylene welding is INCREDIBLY versatile, can penetrate very thick steel, and creates is just as strong as any other form of welding as long as its done properly.... it does require more skill though.
      \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

"i belive the "oxygen/acetylene" is more commonly known as "brazing""

No. The difference between welding and brazing is the temperature. Welding uses high temperatures, and the metal being welded actually melts a little. Brazing is a lower temperature process, using a brazing rod which melts at a low temperature and bonds with the metal being joined. Sorta like glue.

Brazing is used where the high temperature of welding would distort the pieces being joined or badly affect the properties of the metals being joined.

Bicycle frames used to be all brazed, because the special light steel alloys and thin tubing didn't like to be welded. Now, factory produced bikes often use weldable metal and are welded. Handbuilt bikes are generally still brazed.
        2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X