Just Had a FULL Tread Separation Blowout - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Had a FULL Tread Separation Blowout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Had a FULL Tread Separation Blowout

I was traveling at about 75 on the freeway at about 1am.

Unlike the normal thump thump sound of a flat tire, it just started pulling a bit to the left.

I was so close to home and it was so late I kept on driving and was going to check it out about 5 minutes and 2 miles later when I got off at my exit.

A few seconds later, the drivers front of my car slams down and I see my tire rolling parralell to my car.

I was able to get to the side and stop the car on my brand new polished aluminum wheel. A Full Tire Separation.

Supprisingly my car handled very well.

What causes a full separation? I had just check the tire pressure and topped it off a week earlier at 32 pounds.

I should get a warranteed replacement right, I think this is a defect. They are warranteed to 35K miles. These had barely 6k.

It was definantly scary.

[ December 02, 2005, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: PewterBird ]
    Cardomain

bring the remnent to where you bought the tire & get a warranty replacement. Might also ask that the replacement not be a retread also ;)
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

that really sucks man

Comment

Usually it is caused by someone picking up a nail or something and the tire and it going low while driving (explains the pull to the side it went out on.) then the sidewalls get hot and fall apart, therefore the tread comes off.

Sometimes its a manufacturing defect, but usually 99% of the time it will wobble like crazy at all speeds before it blows out.

Could also be an impact break (from hitting a curb or pothole) and improper repair from a previous problem, or a few other things.

Retreads are a thing of the past for the most part. I know they are not even sold by most retail chains because of liability. I am not even sure if passenger car tires are even retreaded at all in america anymore. I think Semi tires might be though. Dunno. I very seriously doubt that he had a retread.
        1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

meh, i think an impact break would only pop the sidewall, not tear the whole thing off... i could be wrong tho.

hey, make the bastards pay fer a new rim too. usually if you even act like ur gonna say lawsuit they'll jump at the opportunity to make you happy with a 250 dollar rim. not saying you should necessarily go thru with it cuz i dont think it'd be worth it, but hey, they ****ed up and i dont think a new rim is unreasonable to ask for.
          2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

man that sucks. next time pull over
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              4 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X