Auto Mechanic Maufacture choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Mechanic Maufacture choice

Ok its time for me to start thinking about how im going to make a living in the future and i have decided to become a certifed mechanic. So now the hard part what do i choose do i go foreign or domestic???I dont have much knowledge about foreign but hey thats what schools for and i here thats where the money is to. Or i can take the choice of a domestic manufacture and work on cars i really like and make average pay my goal is to make about 85,000 by 32 im 16 know. So if anybody knows anything that could make my descion a little bit easier i would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    p.s. my one weakness has got to being wiring but my dads an electrican so im starting to get the hang of it.
    1999 Firebird 3.8 Chamelon<br /><br />MagnaFlow Catback<br /><br />Devon

Anyway you can go to college instead and get a degree, do something more professional? Auto mechanic is fine of course, but it's a lot easier to make 85,000 doing other things. I don't think you'll achieve such income being a mechanic.

How about car salesman? Better luck there!
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

you can make good money as a Mechanic I'm looking into some aprentiship programs with some dealerships right now. If I were you go with domestic. I can't even stand changing the oil on nearly ever forgin car that comes in let alone working on them. But thats just me. I say try and find any place that will put you through college but most places that do that make you sign a contract saying that you will work with them for a certant ammount of years. If you happen to get into a program at a forgin dealership then take it but I have three domestic dealerships in my area that offer this programs. If you wanna talk give me a holla on aim crasher88.

Comment

Lol i just hate those "desk jobs" there lame to me i mean the people that can do all that math and accouting more power to them. I mean no way am i saying im stupid im atleast in the top 5 % of my class its just cars are the only thing that intrest me right now

Comment

Become a police officer and drive like a bat out of hell legally!

Comment

You're 16, you will change your mind about 10 million more times. I wanted to be a doctor since I was 12. Once I got to college I changed my mind and went into computer science. I found out that tech jobs are going to the pits so I got out. Now I'm headed to 1100 miles away to Texas for a BA and masters in Economics, which will lead to my goal of becoming a stock broker. Definately keep your options open and have a back up plan. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
            1998 A4 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

lol. Its not hard for a technician to make upwards of 75,000+/year. Just have to have the right certifications and not be afraid to work ;)

And you dont choose whether you want to work on imports or domestics, you go to school, get certifications in specific topics in the automotive field, and when you become an ASE certified technician you get to work in a shop and gain REAL experience. But being a mechanic is the type of job where going back to school helps, so education is a MUST. But remember, you have to be able and have the will to WORK. I see more techs turn down work because its hard, even though it will feed them 18+ hours of work in 1 day of actually being there because they dont feel like the headache or feel like actually having to do a real job. Techs usually want gravy work, but wouldn't we all? Heres some #s for you from technicians I know:

A Toyota technician I know made over $84,000 last year. A heavy GM mechanic I know made over $102,000 last year. A honda technician I work with makes $19.##/hr and logged over 66 hours last week ALONE -- and he's not certified all the way yet.

Dominic, trust me, car sales isn't that easy to make 75,000+ in.

Besides, what other job do you know gets to send you home right AT or before 5pm and have weekends TOTALLY off? ;)
              Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Thanks alout KBeezy thats the advice that ive been looking for. I knew it had to be possible to make that much$ and i dont mind the work i mean for the first couple of years i would try to grab all the over time i could. My friend that works at toyota has to come in every 3rd sat and its mandatory for all workers so there must be plenty of business. And i mean cars well never go away so there well always be a demand.

Also KBeexzy if your ever on AIM some time hit me up ls1ramair19

[ January 11, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: therock ]

Comment

Originally posted by KBeezy:
                  lol. Its not hard for a technician to make upwards of 75,000+/year. Just have to have the right certifications and not be afraid to work ;)

And you dont choose whether you want to work on imports or domestics, you go to school, get certifications in specific topics in the automotive field, and when you become an ASE certified technician you get to work in a shop and gain REAL experience. But being a mechanic is the type of job where going back to school helps, so education is a MUST. But remember, you have to be able and have the will to WORK. I see more techs turn down work because its hard, even though it will feed them 18+ hours of work in 1 day of actually being there because they dont feel like the headache or feel like actually having to do a real job. Techs usually want gravy work, but wouldn't we all? Heres some #s for you from technicians I know:

A Toyota technician I know made over $84,000 last year. A heavy GM mechanic I know made over $102,000 last year. A honda technician I work with makes $19.##/hr and logged over 66 hours last week ALONE -- and he's not certified all the way yet.

Dominic, trust me, car sales isn't that easy to make 75,000+ in.

Besides, what other job do you know gets to send you home right AT or before 5pm and have weekends TOTALLY off? ;)
                  are all these jobs at a dealership????
                  i was planning on becomming a Mechanical Engineer and working at GM or Ford as a powertrain and chassis engineer and eventually working my way into some factory backed racing
                  but D***! 104k for a certified mechanic??
                  1994 white Firebird M5<br />Flowmasters, CAI, 3.73s, LSD, coated pacesetters, eibach pro-kit, bilsteins, hurst shifter, JVC stereo, 18\" C5 vette wheels, Kuhmo Ecsta ASX rubber<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299</a> <br /><br />Coming Soon: Turbo!

Comment

Yup, at dealerships. But like I said, you want to want to work! The heavy GM tech does work like transmissions, full engine overhauls, **** like that.. The jobs that are tits are Porsche mechanics -- you get sponsored/recruited out of tech school and they pay for your education to become a certified master porsche mechanic. Easy 120,000/year working for Porsche, but if you have so much as a speeding ticket on your driving record -- say bye-bye to your chances of going to Porsche School.
                    Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

http://www.uti-auto-tech.com/new_auto_tech.asp
                      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

There's a school called UTI college. They are the best and most recognized school for automotive on all aspect.

The guys that are graduating have 100% employment. Some companies like Ford and GM hire there guys they're before they are even finish. Pay is great too.

But you really have to love it though to even consider it a career.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Exactly. If you dont love working on cars, dont bother. For me, I'd rather spend my nights wrenching on my Camaro, Sonoma, or project VW than go out to the bars and throw money away.,

Comment

yeah a guy from UTI came and talk to us at my school but, say i wanted to work for GM seeing how they dont have a programm for gm would i still be be able to get a job a Gm

Comment

Yes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X