Are Carburated Cars more reliable than Fuel Injected Computer Operated Cars - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Carburated Cars more reliable than Fuel Injected Computer Operated Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to mess around continuously with engine tuning without equipment, I can see why carbs might have some appeal. Maybe even old fashioned ignitions.

But _every_ pro racer uses FI and computer ignitions if they're legal. Better performance.

And the original question was oriented toward street use. The newer technologies win hands down there. Much lower maintenance.
    2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Wow, heated debate!
      Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KBeezy:
        So is that why nascar and most dragsters continue to use carbs? ;) And yes, you can adjust fuel at RPMs in a carb'd car, provided you have the correct carb, fuel system, and know how to adjust it ;)
        Nascar and NHRA still use carbs because of regulations, not because carb is better. </font>[/QUOTE]NASCAR can police carbs a lot easier than it can ECMs and FI. They have stated this as the reason they stay with carbs.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

haha if carbs are better why are they for the most part "extinct"

I see fuel injected as more reliable but when it comes to cost and ease of repair... carb.

reason why they seem more reliable, is how the US is now, my girlfriends car, 96 cavalier, all it needed was tires, radiator, waterpump, and radiator hoses. to be a fully functioning good car.

Parts cost more then the car was worth, so we ditched it.
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

I think each has its pros and cons. Fuel injection is better for the day to day cars and can adjust to different conditions, but when you start to seriously deviate from stock it needs a lot of attention to function probably. When you get into serious performance applications, it requires computer reprogramming, different injections, throttle bodies, sensors, fuel pressure regualators, new pumps etc. This cost big bucks compared to a carb. If you have the bucks and can dial it in than it is the way to go. Obviously, throwing on a Demon or Holley carb and rejetting it would be easier and much cheaper. it does require that you tune it more often, but some people don't mind that and it keeps a few bucks in your wallet.

Ignitions on the other hand are a totally different story. Electronic igintions are far superior to points type distributors. By removing the points type distributor on my 69 with a msd electronic distibutor, my drive ability improved and so did my fuel economy, plus I can choose my own advance curve.
            69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X