See what being polite can do for you (pulled over) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

See what being polite can do for you (pulled over)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See what being polite can do for you (pulled over)

I posted this cause we have had a lot of people complaining about all cops are jerks.....

I was traveling to work this morning doing my usual 80-85 (in a 65) I came over a small hill (usually I slow down to 70ish when coming over the bridge, but for some reason I did not) and boom there was a highway state trooper (2 troopers in the car) who pulled me over. He walked around my car and then asked me to step out. Asked why I did not have my front license plate, So I told him, with is true, I was in an accident and never got it back after the front end work was done. He said how long ago was that? I said a while ago, I just never pursuded getting it back after He then went into why he pulled me over 85 in a 65 bla bla.... Asked if my car was a v8 I said na just a v6. He gave me a funny look and then nodded with approval.

Anyway, to bring this to a close I was very polite (also, I had my hands palms up on the steering wheel while he walked up to my car so he could see I was not concealing a weapon in my hands). He gave me a warning for no front plate, and a ticket for no proof of insurance (I had forgotten to put my latest card in the car but I had proof for the last 3 years, guess it's time to clean out the glove box). Being polite will not always get you off but it's better than being rude, and copping an attitude with them. After I continued down the road I saw 3 more trooper cars and more people pulled over one was getting his car searched.
    Patrick<br />Sick Sixx Member<br /><b>97 Mystic Teal Camaro</b><br />425RWHP @14PSI<br />Old setup:<br />330RWHP @7PSI 13.9 @ 106.6 <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=4\" target=\"_blank\">Mods</a>

[img]graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

Very true. It helps alot being courteous and polite. Try to seem like a nice guy. The cop at times will jsut be freindly and let you off or even give you a reduced ticket.

I have gottne a 77 in a 45(late at night open road) reduced to a failure to signal lane change. Speeding 65 in a 45 reduced to fialure to observe traffic control device(speed limit) and a few times jsut let off.

And another tip is have all your paperwork ready and in order. My bro has had to go to court 3 seperate times do to not having his license, lost insurance or registration to the car. Its easy to forget to keep the insurance card up to date(reminds me I need to put my new on in)

Just keep insurance and registration in some container that you can easily pull it out and give to the cop. BTW don;t dig for it while the cop is coming he will pull his gun on you, looks like you could be digging for a weapon.(I knwo form experience) [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
      BTW don;t dig for it while the cop is coming he will pull his gun on you, looks like you could be digging for a weapon.(I knwo form experience) [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]
      Hence the reason why I put my palms (face up) on the steering wheel. If you have your papwerwork in hand already, slide it between your fingers. If you see the cop get out of his car and you are still looking for your information then stop and wait till the police officer comes to your window. When he asks for your info, tell him where it is before you go grabing for it. After he aproves then go dig for it.

I think it would be nice if the Police officers on this board would post other tips like this that help reduce the tension in getting pulled over. Some things police officers like to see that might sway them to reduce the ticket and or just give a warning....
      Patrick<br />Sick Sixx Member<br /><b>97 Mystic Teal Camaro</b><br />425RWHP @14PSI<br />Old setup:<br />330RWHP @7PSI 13.9 @ 106.6 <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=4\" target=\"_blank\">Mods</a>

Comment

Sounds like what my friend used to do. He used to not carry proof of insurance because lots of times cops will consider that a ticket enough. Then a little trip to the courthouse takes care of your would-be ticket. [img]graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]
        - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

So did you get a speeding ticket too, or just the insurance ticket?
          <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Batmobile:
            So did you get a speeding ticket too, or just the insurance ticket?
            Nope just no proof of insurance, and a warning for no front plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Red V6 Raider:
              Sounds like what my friend used to do. He used to not carry proof of insurance because lots of times cops will consider that a ticket enough. Then a little trip to the courthouse takes care of your would-be ticket. [img]graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]
              thats a good idea [img]graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

It's best to be nice to them because they could make your life worse if you don't. I've gotten off with MANY warnings because i was being polite to the officer. They are doing their job and you have to respect that. They don't go to your job a b***h about how you are working. I just don't know why people rant about them. I mean yeah people screw up and most cops know that.
                2000 Grand Prix GTP- Bronzemist Metallic: K&N Fenderwell Intake,3.4\" Thrasher Pulley, v1.0 DHP PCM, 3\" Mandrel Bent DP,Ubend Delete,Dynomax SuperTurbos, 180* Thermostat.<br />Soon to come: ZZP SSIntercooler or N20 or both:)

Comment

I'm always nice. I always get a ticket.
                  2000 turbo/intercooled M5 Black Firebird<br />349.5hp and 415.3tq @ 4400rpms

Comment

I got pulled over yesterday. Cop gave me a ticket, which I deserved, for doing 67 in a 55. He had me pulled over, ticket written and explained and on my way in 3mins, tops. He only asked for my license and my registration "if you can find it". He didn't ask for proof of insurance or anything which I thought was strange.

He was pretty cool about the whole thing. Even told me that he appreciated me wearing my seat belt.
                    2000 GTP<br />Pulley, Intake<br />ET - 14.02<br />Trap - 97.15

Comment

:rolleyes: I am always very courteous and respectful to the police when I get pulled over. They always throw the book at me too.
                      1999 red camaro v6 M5: with a turbo<br />13.52@107.99<br />No, seriously: Who Farted? <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086</a>

Comment

i guess it all depends, i have been let out of many tickets with my i.d. and let people off too, its just the person, not the uniform.
                        92 25th rally sport garage baby, 97 30th rally sport, 01 camaro garage baby. obsessive compulsive camaro fan. id rather push a camaro then drive a rice burner.

Comment

You have to be respectful to the cops if you want them to help you out. That not only means being polite but also not treating them like their stupid. Don't lie and pretend you didn't know you were doing anything wrong. Tell them the truth even if it is that you were speeding because you don't give a ****. That's probably your best shot.
                          - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

You want some other tips:

Hands in the open.

Dont grab for your seat belt or search for your papers when the officer pulls up.

Hazard lights show you want to pull over, or at least a turn signal.

Turn the car off.

Hands on top of the wheel or even better, on the dash.

Try to pull over in a safe spot for both you and the officer, and pull over as far as possible.

"Sir"'s help also.

Comment

Damn you Patty. Staties dont usually give speeding tickets, Ive known a few and they dont care too much about those types of violations unless you are being crazy. If it were a Houston cop I think you'd be telling a different story.

That being said you are right about making the cops feel at ease. I always put on the flashers, pull over really far, turn the car off, turn interior lights on (if at night) take keys out and hold em in my hands visibly on top of the steering wheel. Its gotten me some leniency a couple times.

I still think you got off cause you your a corn fed white boy, Im sure id be getting the latex action on the side of the road by cop #2.

Cp

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X