• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeowner Assoc. special assessment

Wilma devastated the place.

We received our special assessment bill:

$2000

:eek:

There is so much damage. Insurance only covers the homeowner association buildings, not landscaping and other things. Plus a deductible, plus funding reserves...

Ouch.
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

I"m not a homeowner yet, so what's that mean? Does each homeowner have to pay that to help fix up the homeowners association stuff?
    ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

I hate home owners associations, and anything of their ilk (base housing excluded of course ;) )

What's the outlook for teh next hurricane/storm heading down there?
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by Dojo2000:
        I"m not a homeowner yet, so what's that mean? Does each homeowner have to pay that to help fix up the homeowners association stuff?
        basically if u really look at it, homeowners association is the neighborhood mob. i dont remember everything but from what i remember you cant do something to your house without their permission. there are so many dumb rules just from the ones i remember. the most asinine being if u have a 3 car garage and u have 2 or more cars, 2 have to be inside. u cant do car work on your driveway. if you have lets say 6 cars like my family does u have to park as many as you can in your driveway. if u wana add a room u have to get it approved by the association and pay them also. im guessing each association is different but yah, theyre lame and really arent neccessary at all
        -RJ \"Like trail mix I\'m a lil sweet but mostly nutty\"<br />Metallic Blue 2001 3.8 Firebird M5<br />FRA,Smoothed Air lid, Homedepot Intake, K&N Air Filter, MSD Coils & Plug wires, Iridium Plugs, Flash Tune, 2.5 Flowmaster Catback.

Comment

Homeowners associations set the rules for how a private community is managed.
          The homeowners association is also how everyone in the community together owns and maintains what is known as the "common areas."

Here is my car at the entrance of my community:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...303_2_full.jpg

All those trees and landscaping, waterfalls, etc are property of the homeowners association (excepting the cool Firebird, of course). In addition, we have a big clubhouse, pool, tennis courts, cabana, playground, etc. All around the borders of the development are landscaping, irrigation, lighting, etc. All that stuff comprises the "common areas."

Dozens and dozens of very large tress have been destroyed; lots of hedges are gone, lighting fixtures and poles are broken. Street signs are knocked down or broken, street lights are broken.

The roads within gated communities usually do not allow public access to the roads; therefore, the streets are not owned by the county or city like in other areas. For that reason, homewoners in gated communities are also responsible for maintaining their roads, street signs and street lights.

There's lots and lots of stuff to be replaced and fixed in my area.

Comment

i hate how private communities are run. i will never live in one.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by RicE-ter:
              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dojo2000:
              basically if u really look at it, homeowners association is the neighborhood mob. i dont remember everything but from what i remember you cant do something to your house without their permission. there are so many dumb rules just from the ones i remember. the most asinine being if u have a 3 car garage and u have 2 or more cars, 2 have to be inside. u cant do car work on your driveway. if you have lets say 6 cars like my family does u have to park as many as you can in your driveway. if u wana add a room u have to get it approved by the association and pay them also. im guessing each association is different but yah, theyre lame and really arent neccessary at all </font>[/QUOTE]There was one somewhere that you had to have a specific flagpole, but this veteran wanted a different kind, so he put the 'unapproved' flagpole up and got fined for it. :rolleyes:

Edit:
              Link to a few articles
              http://www.ccfj.net/flyoldglory6.html
              http://www.ccfj.net/20-20priv.gov.htm

Home owners associations can suck my nuts.

[ November 19, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: camaro_speedemon ]
              <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

There was a flagpole deal up near Jupiter, FL. That thing was ridiculous. The HOA was stupid. Florida finally passed a law to stop HOAs from trying to outlaw US flags on flagpoles.

You have to strike a balance between "condo commando" - type communities where retirees have nothing to do all day but sit around and spy on people trying to catch some dumb "violation" of the rules and cheapo HOAs that skimp on everything and make the property values fall because things look cheap or ill-maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68:
                  Homeowners associations set the rules for how a private community is managed.
                  Oh, I know what they are, and how idiotic they can be with their rules. I just didn't understand what you meant by "special assessment bill", but I assumed it was how much you were going to have to pay them to fix the "common areas."

My parents live in a middle class neighborhood where they don't have to put up with that, but I know people that live in golf course communities and such where they have to follow stupid rules.
                  ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

I HATE HOA's!! :mad:

All these new subs popping up all over the place restricting what you can do, and telling you thing syou have to do on your own property... this is in addition to city codes & ordinances. F*ck em all!

40 unzoned acres in the mountains is my next move.
                    <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Originally posted by MTMike:
                      I HATE HOA's!! :mad:
                      this is in addition to city codes & ordinances. F*ck em all!
                      [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
                      2002 Z28 A4
                      SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

12.76 @ 108.42 w/ 1.90 60’

Comment

some city codes are pretty lame around here...

as for HOAs... have one here and no problems at all... I can't put a poolin my back yard(not that I hvae much of one to do so. But I have access to a small public pool, nice little area kind of like an apartment complex public area...

I never get *****ed at, park the big as ram on the curb in the street. loud cars, work on it all the time, pretty much do whatever we want.

Oh yeah they also do all my yardwork.
                        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:
                          I can't put a poolin my back yard(not that I hvae much of one to do so.
                          So if you put one in, what are they going to do about it? Make you pay a fine? Fill it with dirt?

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
                            i hate how private communities are run. i will never live in one.
                            1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Dojo2000:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by shenanigans:
                              I can't put a poolin my back yard(not that I hvae much of one to do so.
                              So if you put one in, what are they going to do about it? Make you pay a fine? Fill it with dirt? </font>[/QUOTE]Don't know don't care... I am not going to spend $10k anytime soon, on my small litte townhome. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Its not that bad... there are benfits you know...
                              -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X