No announcement yet.

Does engine size really matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh hell, I didn't want to have you suffer, so what it does is it kind of ... activates alternate lobes on the camshaft(s) to open the valves sooner/longer/faster/later -- whatever its designed to do for that motor, in a specific RPM range at "X" throttle.

Anyways, there IS no replacement for displacement.

Anything that can be done to a smaller 4cyl car can be done to a bigger 8cyl car, or even a 10cyl, or 12cyl.

Yeah, boost 'll even the playing field, until you add boost too the bigger displacement motor that is..
    Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

You'll always be able to get more out of a bigger engine, all things equal, but definately don't underestimate smaller cars... weight is on their side and they can still break 11s street legal...

As far as the S2000, it's like a Ferrari... it's got a high-compression, very high-revving engine. With a supercharger, they could push around 400 with a lot of work, but the engines more commonly found in Civics and Integras could push out more power, if only because of a bigger aftermarket.

I'm pretty sure a 4-cylinder DSM can run 10s in street trim, but I'm not 100% sure. They have the slight advantage with AWD, though.

And the Supras, Skylines, RX-7s, etc. can put out well over 1000 in street form. There are some people who put out over 1000 on stock bottom ends with their 2JZ-GTEs.
      1998 Firebird<br />V6 M5<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239301/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239301/1</a>

Comment

Originally posted by KBeezy:
        *BUZZER* WRONG!

How is it then that VTEC is equipped on SOHC cars? ;) (I worked for Honda as a tech, I know this, but I want to hear your answer..)
        I was over simplifying it. Technically, it switches intake cam profiles on the same camshaft. The vtec lobe rides on an extra rocker which just moves along the lobe freely when the car is not in vtec. When the engine is under load and reaches like 5500RPM (or whatever) then oil pressure pushes a pin that locks the idle rocker and the rockers attached into the valves together, so the valves open according to the VTEC cam.

I helped my friend change his cams on his SI ;)
        <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Then explain how come you can get like 1000HP out of a 3.0L F1 engine [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

The same way you can get 7000 hp and 4500 ft/lbs of torque out of 500 c.i. [img]graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

PROOF
            <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/onebad9d5\" target=\"_blank\">1995 Red 3.4L Camaro</a><br /></b><br />Dont laugh if you see me pushing, no reverse, tranny needs rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KBeezy:

Then explain how come you can get like 1000HP out of a 3.0L F1 engine [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]#1 -- 90% of F1 engines dont produce 1000hp. ;)
              Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:

Then explain how come you can get like 1000HP out of a 3.0L F1 engine [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]Easy - they make it at 15,000rpms :D

Originally posted by OneBad9D5:
                The same way you can get 7000 hp and 4500 ft/lbs of torque out of 500 c.i. [img]graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

PROOF
                4500lbft of torque is what makes the power

Power is a product of torque and RPMS

HP=(Torque*RPM)/5252
                <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Originally posted by MTMike:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:

Then explain how come you can get like 1000HP out of a 3.0L F1 engine [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]Easy - they make it at 15,000rpms :D

Originally posted by OneBad9D5:

PROOF
                  4500lbft of torque is what makes the power

Power is a product of torque and RPMS

HP=(Torque*RPM)/5252
                  </font>[/QUOTE]15? ****, try 19-21k.. :eek:

Comment

15? ****, try 19-21k.. :eek: [/QB]
                    :eek:

It's like a gas powered dremmel :D
                    <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

ROFL!

Comment

I don't know. I've seen a 455 TA with blower making over 2000hp. Can a small 4 cyl. or even a V6 do that?

Seriously, the ground shook when the TA was revving and I temporarily lost my hearing.

There's just no replacement for displacement.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor:
                          I don't know. I've seen a 455 TA with blower making over 2000hp. Can a small 4 cyl. or even a V6 do that?

Seriously, the ground shook when the TA was revving and I temporarily lost my hearing.

There's just no replacement for displacement.
                          seriously, get a video of that!

with some awesome engineering im sure you can make a 4 banger push some good HP numbers.. but hp and tq dont mean jack.

"sure my car dyno'd 2000hp, but lets see you put all that to the ground"

I think it all depends on the setup of the vehicle in compliment to the engine..

unless you're talkinga bout just engine flywheel power?

if thats the case, bigger is better im sure.

96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X