Does engine size really matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does engine size really matter?

So a bunch of guys got into debating in the gym whether or not more Liters in a car mean more horsepower and better upgrades.

I had to disagree with their discussion as I have seen those little 1.8L vehicles completely smoke the crap out of cars with bigger engines.

But, I would have to say that those smaller engines had some upgrades.

Picture this:

In-Line 4-Cylinder Honda S2000 @240HP vs. a V8 5.7L V8 TransAM @310HP. Both stock.

Ideally, the TransAM would win, BUT, giving them both major upgrades, which one would come out on top.

In engines, is bigger better. Discuss...

Do doubt smaller engines can rape any f-body. I've seen a video online of a Civic smoking a Z28, and there are people here who have been waxed by them. I think it all has to do with the technology. Take the Vtec for example. It's a wonderful concept. That's the kind of stuff they have available in those countries like Japan. Imagine a high-revving DOHC Vtec 3800.
    1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

haha the t/a

problem with the s2k motor its a high revving motor with a tight power band. Even though it has 240 hp, it has like 160 ft. lbs of torque, like tha same as a 2.8L v6.

look at the numbers at a track. S2ks even under moderate modding rarely break 13s, thats with a lighter car whie a f-body with 310 will hit like 13s.
      -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

size isnt as important as it once was. you can take just about any car and make it a performer these days.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

There's no replacement for displacement.

Pretty much any "technology" (turbo, s/c, cam, heads, vtec yo, muffler bearings, etc) you do on a small motor will net similar or greater gains (in percentage of torque & power) in a larger displacement engine.

I'll personally take torque and power at lower rpms than high-winding high-rpm power makers like a little honda. 325hp at 2900rpms with gobs of torque is much more fun than 325hp at 9200rpms with 10ftlbs of torque.
          <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Originally posted by MTMike:
            There's no replacement for displacement.

Pretty much any "technology" (turbo, s/c, cam, heads, vtec yo, muffler bearings, etc) you do on a small motor will net similar or greater gains (in percentage of torque & power) in a larger displacement engine.

I'll personally take torque and power at lower rpms than high-winding high-rpm power makers like a little honda. 325hp at 2900rpms with gobs of torque is much more fun than 325hp at 9200rpms with 10ftlbs of torque.
            agreed...

but I willl admit FI really does even the playing field as well..
            -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber:
              size isnt as important as it once was. you can take just about any car and make it a performer these days.
              i agree. my camaro will own all by the time i'm done with it :D
              1995 Bluish green 3.4l Camaro.<br />Bone stock right now lol!<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355</a>

Comment

Bad example, S2000s are road cars, not drag cars, How about a better example.

SRT4 Vs a Trans Am would be better.
                <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                  Bad example, S2000s are road cars, not drag cars, How about a better example.

SRT4 Vs a Trans Am would be better.
                  I say know because FI in the mix changes things completely...

I knwo no replacement for displacement, but FI makes up for it.

well unless we compare '03 cobra or lightening vs. SRT4

Comment

Power to Weight ratio is what matters.

Example:
                    Lotus Elise
                    Disp: 1.8L
                    HP: 190
                    Ft lb: 138
                    curb weight: 1,975
                    1/4: 13.4
                    0-60: 4.7

That is all straight line stuff. In the slalom and skid pad the Elise can take a Ferrari 360 or a Porsche 911 GT3 for half or a quater of the price.

Comment

How about the Dodge SRT4 turbocharged and the Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged? I believe the SS has 2.0L engine as to the srt4's 2.4L. About the same power.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird:
                        Power to Weight ratio is what matters.

Example:
                        Lotus Elise
                        Disp: 1.8L
                        HP: 190
                        Ft lb: 138
                        curb weight: 1,975
                        1/4: 13.4
                        0-60: 4.7

That is all straight line stuff. In the slalom and skid pad the Elise can take a Ferrari 360 or a Porsche 911 GT3 for half or a quater of the price.
                        You're exactly right, power to weight is everything. 500HP in a 5000lb car is the same as 200HP in a 2000lb car.
                        <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

i know vtec makes civics faster and everything but what exactly does it do to make them faster?
                          1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

VTEC switches from a cam that maximizes low RPMs, to a cam thats maximized for high RPMs.

Comment

*BUZZER* WRONG!

How is it then that VTEC is equipped on SOHC cars? ;) (I worked for Honda as a tech, I know this, but I want to hear your answer..)
                              Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                2 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X