GM finally cutting back in the right areas - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM finally cutting back in the right areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM finally cutting back in the right areas

higher in the chain of command, where the serious money is made
    cutting workers pay doesnt do anything, they dont make enough to make a dent in the losses
    http://www.axcessnews.com/modules/wf...articleid=8001
    CEO down 50%
    Bob Lutz down 30%
    Board of directors down 50%
    bout time, maybe now they an do better
    millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

maybe they should cut the pay and benifits of the line workers. they get payed a hell of a lot more than they should
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
      maybe they should cut the pay and benifits of the line workers. they get payed a hell of a lot more than they should
      lol are you serious???
      so they pay a line worker 60,000 a year
      hwo much are the top execs making????
      you think they are worth millions?
      they are running a #1 company down into the dirt!
      i hope that was a joke
      but if not, then how can you say one person is worth tens of millions of dollars, and another isnt worth 60,000
      it doesnt even compare
      millionformarriage.org

Comment

It does when the executives make decisions affecting the whole company. Their decision can make (or break) millions of dollars. You need to pay top dollar to retain these guys or they WILL leave. If that happens, you have second or third rate talent running the company making worse decisions.

I don't agree that execs should make as much as they do as a whole, but as a company, you have to pay competitive salaries.

A $60K emp is expendible - which is why they are only paid $60K.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird:
          It does when the executives make decisions affecting the whole company. Their decision can make (or break) millions of dollars. You need to pay top dollar to retain these guys or they WILL leave. If that happens, you have second or third rate talent running the company making worse decisions.
          which is most likely the reason why they are cutting their salary. Maybe if they were making the right decisions they wouldnt be getting this at all..

If they leave, so be it. it could possibly be a new change that GM has been looking for
          96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird:

I don't agree that execs should make as much as they do as a whole, but as a company, you have to pay competitive salaries.

A $60K emp is expendible - which is why they are only paid $60K.
            obviously they are paying top dollar and getting second and third rate work
            like i said
            finally cutting back in the right areas
            millionformarriage.org

Comment

when a company is not doing well, the grass is always greener on the other side. The execs MAY be making first rate decision with what they have to work with (I do not follow GMs financials/policies well enough). But given health care costs, unions, etc. maybe new execs could f**** stuff up even more.

however, you could be correct. Look at IBM. In 1992 the company was in shambles. A real disaster. Lou Gestner came in and made large sweeping changes, and now IBM is a force in the market again.

All I am saying is that it's easy to judge from the outside.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by LD:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
                lol are you serious???
                so they pay a line worker 60,000 a year
                hwo much are the top execs making????
                you think they are worth millions?
                they are running a #1 company down into the dirt!
                i hope that was a joke
                but if not, then how can you say one person is worth tens of millions of dollars, and another isnt worth 60,000
                it doesnt even compare
                </font>[/QUOTE]are you kidding me?

top execs...

say you cut 40 million from all the top executives, at that point I think the top executives are paying GM to work for it.

now cut 50,000 employees, $5,000 a year.

you just cut $250 million dollars a year.
                -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

btw that cut is only a $2.40 cent an hour cut in pay.

IT ain't the 30s where the companies were exploiting the workers...

Employees that do not know a trade and do not have a college education should not be making $60k a year.
                  -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:

Employees that do not know a trade and do not have a college education should not be making $60k a year.
                    Bull****. Companies DO exploit their workers. Just because certain laws prevent extremes doesn't mean that the blue collar working man isn't still getting hosed. I honestly think $60k a year is perfect for someone like that. Ever try to live any kind of life making $25k or $30k a year?? I have, and it isn't easy, and I only have me to feed. I am honestly stunned that you would say something like that. These large companies pay their top execs millions of dollars, and give them significant shares of the voting stock in a company, while the blue collar man busting his knuckles and losing fingers is making a maybe $10 or $12 an hour. I think $60k is worth the work, you can take care of a family with that kind of money, not what the majority of people are making now.
                    1995 Pontiac Firebird
                    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:

line workers hire in at $19 an hour
                      19*40 = 760*52 = 39,520
                      wtf
                      take more money from them?
                      whatever
                      and who are you to assume they dont have a college education
                      the ones making better money DO have a trade and DO have a college education
                      skill trades start at $25 an hour
                      millionformarriage.org

Comment

Originally posted by LD:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by shenanigans:

skill trades start at $25 an hour </font>[/QUOTE]tell that to my technicians at work who are educated and highly skilled but only get payed around 20bucks an hour and work a lot harder and in more dangerous and stressful conditions.

any high school grad can work an assembly line. dont even get me started on benifits

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
                          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LD:
                          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by shenanigans:

skill trades start at $25 an hour </font>[/QUOTE]tell that to my technicians at work who are educated and highly skilled but only get payed around 20bucks an hour and work a lot harder and in more dangerous and stressful conditions.

any high school grad can work an assembly line. dont even get me started on benifits
                          </font>[/QUOTE]then the companies paying them are ripping them off
                          so your saying that everyone should make the same based on their abilities?
                          that is not America
                          not all companies pay the same
                          any high school grad may be able to work the assmebly line, but that is not always the case
                          some of them are extremely intelligent
                          and the benefits are getting cut anyways, so that should make you happy
                          I dont even understand why there is a comparison
                          some of these guys make over 5 million a year, what one person is worth 130 average workers?
                          I dont understand that
                          and why should the 130 workers suffer so that the one person can buy another freakin ferrari??
                          millionformarriage.org

Comment

because like you said, thats America

Comment

What? Jealous blldogg? If you worked there, you wouldn't be *****ing.

So just because you say so, I should be making what? 10 dollars an hour for driving a package car just because it doesn't require any real skill you learn at school?

You sound like the typical group of collge grads or those people that went to some tech school after high school because your guidance counselor told you too or you'd be a loser. Then when you find out you busted your *** for a 4 year degree or 6 year (or technical training)and only come to find out you land a job that will maybe get you promoted to middle management and make 40-50k a year on average...you get angry at guys like me who just have an AA an do a blue collar job and make 2x's as much as you.

I'm getting my AA from USF and leaving this term. Yep, i'm going to make way more money at my UNION job than I ever could with my degree with way less stress. Yep, I'm doing afoolish move, i know it. Worst case, i lose my job i'll go back to school.

I'm not critisizing (sp) you blldog because you certainly do a job that requires a lot more thought than mine, but don't get upset because those guys are making more money "than you think they should." I think GM techs are paid to much.

Pissed you off? Right. Because i'm not a GM tech and I don't understand how much work it is..in fact you're probably underpaid...but you chose that job for the love of it right? not the money. Like Teachers that ***** about the money...they KNEW it was crap money before hand..they need to be in that profession because they love the job.

[ February 08, 2006, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Fredless ]
                              -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X