need help asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help asap

when buying a car from a private party, what should be done?

I know he should sign the title over to me,
    then we should write up and both sign and both have copies of buyer/seller agreement

what else should be done? How about plates and registration? How about sales tax? I'm buying car out-of-state, so... should I pay taxes back home or back there? Do I even have to pay sales tax?

Please helps ASAP.

as far as i know, when I bought my car from a dealership, you pay the taxes where you live. And you pay them when you register you vehicle and have the title changed.
    - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

So, the DMV is supposed to issue a new title?

And when I drive the car from place of purchase to my place, it is still going to be registered in his name, right? But the title is going to be signed over to me, so if I get pulled over I just show it to the cop, right?

Comment

I would draft a Bill of Sale and have both parties sign it. I would also at least include the amount of sale and the VIN of the vehicle.

The amount of sale is between the two parties... if you wanted to adjust the taxes a bit and push the law a bit, you could alter this number a little. Of course thats between you and the guy youre buying it from.

[ August 25, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: hawgs ]

Comment

Since you're obviously somewhat internet-literate, why not check out Virginia DMV's web site.

I don;t know how useful you'll find it, but a good starting point there would be http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...les/buying.asp

When I did it in MD recently, MD's web site took me through the whole process step by step. Hopefully you'll find VA's to be as easy to follow - hard to tell from a quick glance but that web address seems to be the right place to start.
          \'01 Camaro Y87 A4 - 100% stock, so far

Comment

Write a bill of sale and both sign. It doens't have to be fancy, just:

BUYER received $X,000 Cash from SELLER on 8/28/2004 for 1998 Chevy car, VIN: #$@#$@*(%#&@$. Vehicle is sold as is with no warranty expressed or implied.

Signed: Buyer

Signed: Seller

Make sure to make a copy of it for both parties.

I'm sure this varies from state to state, but here, the buyer then takes the title down to the DMV to get it titled in their name, and get the registration & get a license plate, or apply for a personalized plate.

Good luck!

-Mike
            <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

STIIP.

no MTMike is right... follow the words of our redneck master....
              <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

I am not Licensed to practice Law so I am in no way shape or form providing Legal advice, but...

Here is a little form you can use for a Bill of Sale... I am bored at work, can you tell?

BILL OF SALE

____________, residing at __________________ ("Seller"), for and in consideration of the sum of ______ __________________ dollars ($____________) does hereby bargain, sell, grant and convey unto ________________________, residing at __________________ __________________ ("Buyer"), all of Seller's right, title and interest in one (1) ______ door [color, make and model] bearing vehicle identification number ____________ (the "Vehicle").

Seller warrants to Buyer that Seller owns all of the right, title and interest in and to the Vehicle and that the Vehicle is not subject to any lien, claim or other encumbrance. SELLER MAKES NO OTHER REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE VEHICLE OR ITS CONDITION OR PERFORMANCE; AND SELLER SELLS AND DELIVERS THE VEHICLE TO BUYER, AND BUYER ACCEPTS THE VEHICLE, "AS IS".

Buyer warrants to Seller that Buyer has fully examined and tested the Vehicle, that Buyer is purchasing the Vehicle solely in reliance upon such examination and testing, and that Buyer is fully satisfied with the Vehicle "AS IS".

Seller shall incur no obligation or liability whatsoever for or on account of any condition existing in the Vehicle.

This bill of sale will be governed by the law of the State of ______.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, Seller and Buyer have executed this bill of sale dated the ______ day of ____________, ____.

SELLER:__________________

BUYER:__________________

Comment

All good stuff...

on that bill of sale though, throw in spaces for 2 witnesses.

Both of you guys I assume will have witnesses since you are transporting a car between you two.

Comment

are you stutering? Moderators don't stuter
                    New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
                    RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
                    crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
                    The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Originally posted by '98 BlackBird:
                      are you stutering? Moderators don't stuter
                      I have no idea what you are talking about ;)

something is wrong with this stupid school computer, my last like 4 posts including this one have been double posts, despite only hitting the button once.

Comment

The main question remains though:

am I going to have to drive the car from there to here without tags?

Thanks for everyone's help.

hawgs lol thnx for the bill of sale.

I assume I'll have to go to that state's DMV and get transit plates?

[ August 25, 2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: ka50 ]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X