Wireless internet help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless internet help

I'll be moving into my college apartment soon. We've already set a date for the charter communications guy to come and set up our cable internet. We're thinking of setting it up wireless so we dont have to run ethernet cable all over the apartment. What all is needed to go wireless? Is it just as good (downloading, uploading). What about security on wireless?
    <a href=\"http://www.xbox3604free.com/default.aspx?r=381546\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.xbox3604free.com/default.aspx?r=381546</a>

Security is fine as long as you just put a key on it.... you need a wireless router and wireless cards for all the computers, that's about it.... the speeds are comparable to normal LAN setups, perhaps a little slower, but unless transfering files between computers locally, you won't notice a difference... and yes, I know this is all one long run on with no real punctuation.
    2002 Silver Metallic A4 Firebird - All Options
    Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

slight spin-off of this same topic. can you run a wireless router for your cable television to transmit to other rooms in the house without running hard lines as well? I was going to set up a wireless internet router to not pull lines, then I started thinking about cable tv and wondered if I had to run them anyway.
      \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

There are wireless video routers, but those are completely different.
        Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

so with two routers, one for internet and one for cable tv I could avoid pulling wires completely?
          do the video routers allow you to change channels on each television, or are you watching whatever the main router is tuned into?
          \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

for the internet you wanna get a 802.11g router and g cards...they are considerably faster than 802.11b cards. (i assume your apartment isn't huge since the range is around 50 to take advantage of the speed difference). As for the video and internet wireless routers running at the same time, make sure they operate on different frequencies so there is no interference. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i think wireless internet routers run in the 2.4ghz range....

Comment

the only difference between b and g is g will transfer like 5 times faster from computer to computer on the same network

both b and g are faster then any internet connection you might get (1.5mbs) b can take 11mbs g can take 54mbs so the only thing that g is faster at is transfering between computers on the same network.

B is cheaper i would go with b, also if you have friends that have g already they can still use b its backwards compatiable

also a b card will work with a g router (thats what I have) you will get b speeds tho

[ June 23, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Drone51 ]

Comment

wireless internet routers "b" and "g" run at 2.4 ghz and "a" runs at 5.4 ghz

Comment

if you have a wireless phone that isnt 900 MHZ it will boot you off the network everytime the phone rings.

Comment

G I thought was for 108M. That is what is listed for my netgear Wireless modem. (BTW I suggest going with a Linsys router).
                    98 Silver Camaro V6<br />15.238 @91.74 w/ 2.288 60\'<br />Mods: K&N, FTRA, Pacesetter Headers, Spec 3 Clutch, 160 Thermo, TSP Rumbler, 3\" Catco, Whisper Lid, 3.42\'s w/LSD, Aluminum DS, Man Fan Switch<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain

Comment

we're getting charters fastest package they have. Its like 3mb/sec. We won't have a phone line in the apt, just going to use cell phones.

So the G's are the fastest ones right now, but thats only for transfering to computers on the same network?
                      <a href=\"http://www.xbox3604free.com/default.aspx?r=381546\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.xbox3604free.com/default.aspx?r=381546</a>

Comment

No... simple rule:

Always buy the latest technology if you can afford it.

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

Originally posted by AcidDrag0n:
                          What about security on wireless?
                          Read my wireless network thread :D

Originally posted by ellik:
                          I was going to set up a wireless internet router to not pull lines, then I started thinking about cable tv and wondered if I had to run them anyway.
                          If your apartment isn't brand new then there should already be a cable hook-up in each room. If not, the cable company should do it as its usually part of the install fee that they charge anyways.

Originally posted by Nathan:
                          G I thought was for 108M. That is what is listed for my netgear Wireless modem. (BTW I suggest going with a Linsys router).
                          G is 54Mbps. Companies you special standards/hardware that allows them to transfer up to 108Mbps between their own products. Example: D-link's line of Xtreme G routers can only do 108Mbps with a D-link Xtreme G wireless card.

Originally posted by AcidDrag0n:
                          So the G's are the fastest ones right now, but thats only for transfering to computers on the same network?
                          Yes, 802.11g is currently the fastest(54Mbps/108Mbps). No, all they are saying is that if you transfer files over a home network often, like sharing music between computers in your apartment, then you will definitely notice the difference between 802.11b(11Mbps) and 802.11g. The limit for uploading/downloading files from the internet is lower than 11Mbps, so you will not notice the difference there.

Originally posted by Skapimp:
                          No... simple rule:

Always buy the latest technology if you can afford it.
                          Yep. The latest technology is 802.11a, transferring at the same speed G does, 54Mpbs. 802.11a runs at 5GHz, whereas g and b run at the crowding 2.4GHz range. A is not compatible with g or b, so everyone that wants to use the network will need to dish out $ for A hardware.

I believe to have a solid, secure network everything needs to be wired. Too many variables that can affect wireless. I actually ordered the same D-link 802.11g router that I set up for my parents just to play around with, though.

FYI:
                          MB/s - megabyte (1024 kilobytes) per second
                          Mbps - megabits (8 bits = 1 byte) per second
                          Google says that 3MB/s = 24Mbps
                          11 Mbps = 1.375 MB per second
                          54 Mbps = 6.75 MB per second
                          108 Mbps = 13.5 MB per second
                          ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Here is some additional information from a similar topic. Most of the time theives can give you the best advice on how to keep something "safe". Hope it helps man.

Thread on Secure Networks

-Scott
                            -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

Originally posted by Christian:
                              Here is some additional information from a similar topic. Most of the time theives can give you the best advice on how to keep something "safe". Hope it helps man.

Thread on Secure Networks

-Scott
                              That would be my thread. It's at the top of my previous post also. I'm not a theif - it's like watching someones TV as they had it sitting in the middle of their front lawn :D
                              ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X