Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new tow vehicle

and a minivan type thing.

Safari/Astro seems the best so far, as they have lots of space and cain tow. I don't have any info on other brands though. Blazer is getting old, 12yrs old and is starting to crap out bit by bit. And teh milage is shizzy also, my GP gets almost better city milage than the blazers highway :mad:

any suggestion? must tow at least 5k lbs, and preferably get better than 22mpg hwy.
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Diesel Truck :D You won't even know 5klbs is back there (hell 10klbs you wouldn't even notice) and you can get 20+ mpg hwy empty. (the new Cummins isn't quite that good on fuel. Hopped up HP = lower fuel economy) Only thing is Diesels are spendy.

Realsitcally, another S-10 blazer/Durango would be a good bet. They've got the closest thing to real-truck suspension for handling a load. I cringe when I see minivans hauling trailers knowing that that rear suspension isn't set up to handle towing.

You'll have a hard time finding a good tow vehicle that's good on fuel economy too. You'll either sacrifice performance/capibility, or fuel economy.

My Cummins has another 30k miles to even be broken in to where power & mileage will improve over what they are now. I get 14-15 in town, 16-20 empty hwy (depending on speed)11-13 hwy towing 8500lbs at 65-70mph. It pulls the GCVW of over 16klbs at 65-70mph regardless of the terrain, and only on the steepest hills does it even want out of overdrive while doing it. 610ftlbs of torque at 1600rpms has it's price on fuel economy (over say over a V6 minivan) but I prefer having the stability and capability to tow my weight at highway speed without breaking the engine.

Good luck man

[ November 19, 2005, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: MTMike ]
    <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

uh oh nates joining MVV6- *Mini van v6* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

nope, not until I make TSgt, then I'll be able to afford another car payment :rolleyes:

And my coworker has a durango, and envy's my blazers milage. I have been looking at the new colorado things from chebby, but the 5cyl engiens keep me thinking audi for some reason
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

How about the Trailblazer?
          1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

My wife and I are looking at the 2005 Montana with a 3.9L engine.

But towing capacity is listed as 3500 lbs.
            I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
            CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
            FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Montana, huh? didn't think about that. Basically, I'm looking for something that will tow the bird if needed, and just about anyother car i the RLV6 community. I wonder if the wife would want it jacked up? She wants teh blazer to have another 2~3in lift, despite the even crappier milage it would get (and she wonders why I always want to take the GP on roadtrips)
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

dodge durango 11-12 in town on highway dont matter. always 11-12 m.p.g
                The confusion surrounds me <br />change is imminent<br />if I were they<br />we could be great

Comment

I'd never buy an Astro/Safari because the crash test ratings are so horrible.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=66
                  <a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/New/IMG_0085.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Black 2002 Camaro M5</a>-SS takeoff muffler, B&M Ripper, K&N Filter, 35/20% tint, Infinity speakers, Viper alarm, perpetually breaking clutch return spring mod. 15.49@90.15<br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P14.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Pewter 2002 Firebird M5 (Dad\'s Car)</a>

Comment

get an old cummins or powerstroke
                    Mystic Teal Metallic
                    ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

Originally posted by teal99camaro:
                      get an old cummins or powerstroke
                      too big,even by her standards. I might be able to sell her on an awd Montana
                      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

jeep liberty diesel...it might be smaller than what you want though...buddy of mine gets 27mpg or better on the highway..22 or better in town
                        98 bird Y87 SLP cai Msd Super Conducters Msd coils Splitfire Triple Platinums big bad Corvette servo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X