gas guzzler tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas guzzler tax

i was reading a MT magazine and they compared the gto against the charger srt-8 and they said that for both cars there is a gas tax. for the srt-8 it was more i think it was 3k and for the gto i think it was around 2k if you get auto tranny. what do you guys think of it? personally i think its dumb to tax the consumer because they are already paying the high fee at the pump,and it will lead to the downfall of muscle cars. i think it would be a better idea to tax the manufactuer like they have to pay x amout of money for everyone they sold. that way the consumer isnt discouraged from getting the car and more pressure is put on the manufactuer to make better fuel efficient engines. i dunno thats just my 2 cents what do you guys think?
    JpX

Well they want people to buy more fuel efficient cars so you are spot on with the whole discouraging the comsumer part. The government also gives people a deduction for buying a hybrid.

While I don't like the tax because it's on cars I like, I'm not worrying about it because I'm not planning on buying my next car new anyway.

Comment

hybrids, the gas part, aren't actually ne more fuel efficient than a regular one. the eletric one just helps the combustion or it just shuts off the combustion all together im not sure, to achive more mpg. but there is a series version hybrid where it is basically a electric motor car, the gas is only used to produce electricty not to propel the car.

besides hydrogen is the future. i wonder when that will be phased in as the main staple for cars or energy in general. our domestic gas i think comes mostly from the south east part of the US so when that sector takes a hit, it also effects our gas/energy source. hydrogen, aside from producing little(or none not sure) emmisions it can be produced by every state or region. california can use solar power, montana area can use wind, mid west corn or something or another. so the burden for energy wont lay in one area.

yep sux
      -RJ \"Like trail mix I\'m a lil sweet but mostly nutty\"<br />Metallic Blue 2001 3.8 Firebird M5<br />FRA,Smoothed Air lid, Homedepot Intake, K&N Air Filter, MSD Coils & Plug wires, Iridium Plugs, Flash Tune, 2.5 Flowmaster Catback.

Comment

i think what will happen is that all the auto makers investing in hydrogen will sign a deal with a a gas station lets say exoonmobil and they will have 1 hydrogen pump at each station ro everyother station. but back to what i was saying about gas tax i jsut wanna hear everyoens oppion.
        JpX

Comment

I dont think the gov taxes the consumers, they tax the manufacture, and the manufacture passes the tax onto the consumer.
          <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
            I dont think the gov taxes the consumers, they tax the manufacture, and the manufacture passes the tax onto the consumer.
            exactly...

even though being a car guy I think it sucks but being a normal person makes sense... Its not fuel efficient.

Thing is I REALLY wish they had a better taxing on SUV/trucks... I understand some people need them for work purposes but the soccer moms are rediculous and waste more gas then any of those vehicles combined.
            -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

if thats true then they need to make a bill not allowing manufactuers to do that. because thats like taking the burden of having to make better fuel efficent engines of their back and putting the weight on yours in a sense. if thoose companies were forced to pay that they would say "we need to make better engiens to meet these standards because we are losing a lot of meny on these cars. and i dotn think that they would just get rid of these type cars. look at how many ppl liek the vette there is no way they would get rid of the vette for the that or the gto. dont have any figs on me but i bet the gto is in the top 3 for pontiac sales. there is no way ford would get rid of the stang because of it. and even on a wider scale lets include suv even though i agree with shenanigans. look at how much of the domestic market is full of suvs gm alone has alot of the suv market. if they were lossing moeny on thoose cars there would be a big turn-around quick becasue right now thats their bread and butter. bottom line is manufactuers should foot the bill so they can make fast fuel efficent cars.
              JpX

Comment

Just be very grateful that there isn't a road tax in america. In italy there is an anual tax based on how much horsepower your car puts out. I did some math and the tax on a Z28 camaro would be $735 in taxes a year, oh yeah with gas at $8/gal it would be about $120 to fill up. Be very thankful we live in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Jpx87:
                  if thats true then they need to make a bill not allowing manufactuers to do that. because thats like taking the burden of having to make better fuel efficent engines of their back and putting the weight on yours in a sense. if thoose companies were forced to pay that they would say "we need to make better engiens to meet these standards because we are losing a lot of meny on these cars. and i dotn think that they would just get rid of these type cars. look at how many ppl liek the vette there is no way they would get rid of the vette for the that or the gto. dont have any figs on me but i bet the gto is in the top 3 for pontiac sales. there is no way ford would get rid of the stang because of it. and even on a wider scale lets include suv even though i agree with shenanigans. look at how much of the domestic market is full of suvs gm alone has alot of the suv market. if they were lossing moeny on thoose cars there would be a big turn-around quick becasue right now thats their bread and butter. bottom line is manufactuers should foot the bill so they can make fast fuel efficent cars.
                  Thing is though... no one buys it, they don't make it... The manufacterures will never eat that cost. They will raise the cost of the car if they had to eat it. Even if they don't "add a gas guzzler tax" they will just say it costs the same amount of it more.
                  -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                    exactly...

even though being a car guy I think it sucks but being a normal person makes sense... Its not fuel efficient.

Thing is I REALLY wish they had a better taxing on SUV/trucks... I understand some people need them for work purposes but the soccer moms are rediculous and waste more gas then any of those vehicles combined.
                    </font>[/QUOTE]definately, the tax should be broken down and more specifically placed. i think for performance cars people suffer enoungh with the insurance plus usually its not a daily driver.
                    -RJ \"Like trail mix I\'m a lil sweet but mostly nutty\"<br />Metallic Blue 2001 3.8 Firebird M5<br />FRA,Smoothed Air lid, Homedepot Intake, K&N Air Filter, MSD Coils & Plug wires, Iridium Plugs, Flash Tune, 2.5 Flowmaster Catback.

Comment

Auto companies do have fees and such acounting for their combined fuel efficiency. It's called CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy I think), and it accounts for the average fuel economy of all the cars a manufacturer sells in a given year. Average of Cobalts, Silverados, Monte Carlos, Malibus, etc. If said company falls within the CAFE regulations, then they get exemptions, if they fail to meet the regulations, then they get penalized.
                      The new 505HP Z06 has no gas guzzler tax....somehow. I still don't know how a car qualifies for the tax though. I assumed it had to do with it's EPA estimated average mpg. I didn't think that the tax was passed to the consumer from the company, I'm pretty sure it's the government taxing both the manufacturer and the consumer for buying said car. Then again, it's 3:20 AM, and I'm needin some sleep so this may not even make sense when I read it again tomorrow.
                      ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

505 hp z06 didn't get it because its a 6-speed, same with the GTO... GM made the beauty of the T56 and skip shift to help this...

you don't use much gas shifting from 1st to 4th, then 5th, thrn 6th gear on teh road.

and saves you from the gas guzzler tax while the auto GTO is stuck with it.

Comment

^^^ and yet another reason to buy a manual car... haha
                          disclaimer: \"warning.. this post may contain somewhat of a funny comment if read properly... take my comment out of context at your own discretion...\"

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:
                            505 hp z06 didn't get it because its a 6-speed, same with the GTO... GM made the beauty of the T56 and skip shift to help this...

you don't use much gas shifting from 1st to 4th, then 5th, thrn 6th gear on teh road.

and saves you from the gas guzzler tax while the auto GTO is stuck with it.
                            Z06...only supercar that gets 26mpg [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
                            2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

^^^ lol and yet another reason to want a ZO6... haha
                              disclaimer: \"warning.. this post may contain somewhat of a funny comment if read properly... take my comment out of context at your own discretion...\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X