Im trying to quit smoking.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im trying to quit smoking.....

....and it isn't easy. I got that Nicoderm CQ patch yesterday from the drug store, smoked my last cigarette yesterday around noon or so, put this patch on, and haven't had one since. Anyone that really knows me well knows that I usually don't go more than an hour without a cigarette. I really want one, but instead I am eating a bunch of cinnimon disks. Seems to be working pretty good.

Whole reason why I think it is a good time to quit isn't because I care about second hand smoke or heart trouble, but more or less my own physical appearance. Before I started smoking, O weighed well over 215, benched 235, and could hold my breath for almost 2 minutes. That was 9 years ago. I now weigh 172, can't bench more than 135 without struggling, and can't hold my breath for more than a minute. I used to swim alot, and I don't even think I could do a few laps now without stopping and really catching my breath. I'm fed up with it. My body looks like s*** warmed over.

My friend who is trying to get onto the AFL and maybe the NFL as a strong safety has begun starting to really work out hard again. I really want to join him on his workouts, but the amount that I did smoke before it was almost impossible to keep up with him, and I really hate it. I need to look a little better than I do now. Seems like everytime I did have a cig I got real tired, never had the energy to do anything. Since I haven't had a cig, I have felt like punching walls for the fun of it, or chaining up the car and tugging it around the block (I have done that before I smoked) because I have all this energy that I haven't had in a very long time. But I have also gotten real damn jittery. I can't seem to sit still for any amount of time. Just typing all this out seemed to take about 45 minutes.

I have also had to give up on a few things I like to do because of quitting, things I could go back to doing later, but things I can't do now, like for instance, poker. I can't play. Everytime I go play, I play around people that are smoking CONSTANTLY, and when I lose, I get pissed, and need a cig to calm down. So I have had to give up on it for a few weeks. Another thing is going to the bar. Again, being around all those people that smoke doesn't help any at all. The worst is not going to my dads as often, which I really REALLY hate. Everyone there smokes, and I can't be around them if they are going to do it around me.

I guess I am asking this board for a little support. I really can't ask anyone else for this, because they all smoke, and have better things to do. I am also asking you to bear with me a little, I will have an overwhelming tendency to get a little more pissed off than usual.

Thanks for reading.

Wes
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

I don't know much about the patch, but if you honestly want to quit...you will! My wife smokes and I stopped trying to talk her into quitting. She has to make that decision on her own now. I know a co-worker that is using the patch, but she still craves a smoke during lunch and when she is at a bar.

It's tough, but keep yourself preoccupied and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

Hey Wes. I don't pretend to know what it's like, but just keep your goal in mind and I'm sure you'll be better off. :thumbsup:
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

i smoke now and i know what you are going through and how tough it is to quit. you got my support because when i get home i plan or quiting and ill need the support too. good luck

Comment

Yeah, good luck with quitting and stick with it. I use to talk to you and you were always saying you need to run out and get a smoke. Just try to keep your distance from smokers and eventually you will be able to hang around them without a crave for one, well hopefully.
          -Rick<br /><br />Bright White \'95 Firebird Convertible 3.4L A4 - Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back, Zexel Torsen Posi-traction, Black Checkered Stripes, Clear Corners, Misc. Appearance Mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741</a> <br /><br />AIM ID: AxSlane

Comment

At least you are doing something about it. Even if you don't quit, you still gave it your best (actually, you are the only one who knows if you gave it your best).
            <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

I went through pretty much the same thing as you trying to quit, having people around all the time that were smoking. Although I hadn't been smoking nearly as long as you have (2-3 years), I actually found it was easier to quit when hanging out with them. The second hand smoke is flat out annoying. Excercising, especially cardiovascular, will encourage you to quit even more so.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm in the process of convincing my friends to quit smoking. [img]smile.gif[/img]
              -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

Move to California and you don't have to deal with the smoking in bars thing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Really though, that's one law I totally love. And it's not the crazy liberal state thing either. I'm in one of the conservative California counties, and we were the first county in California and I think the nation to ban smoking in public buildings before the whole state did it.

Good luck though. :cool:
                <a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/New/IMG_0085.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Black 2002 Camaro M5</a>-SS takeoff muffler, B&M Ripper, K&N Filter, 35/20% tint, Infinity speakers, Viper alarm, perpetually breaking clutch return spring mod. 15.49@90.15<br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P14.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Pewter 2002 Firebird M5 (Dad\'s Car)</a>

Comment

I think the hardest thing about quitting smoking is wanting to... I quit before but not because I wanted to but because it was too expensive. a couple weeks later I grabbed a pack of those cheap smokers choice things and I've smoked them ever since, you get used to them after a few months lol.

The key to stop smoking. [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                  \'96 A4 Camaro 3800<br />Nothing but... <br />Flowmaster 40 series

Comment

dude keep it up. not only are you going to live longer but your friends and family who don't smoke will live longer also. once you are done for a few months you will see how nasty your habbit was. keep it up. and i think eveyone else who smoke should take the same stand.
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Quitting smoking is hard. Staying quit is even harder. I quit (again) 3 months ago and have been doing well. I went to the Giants game yesterday with two friends who smoke. After a 12 pack, I found myself just dying for a smoke. I held out though.

Don't make excuses to smoke. Don't say "I had a bad day" or "I'm having some beers". Nothing is a good excuse to go back.

Cravings last for two minutes and are gone.

Good luck man.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X