you guys hear about the sony lawsuit? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

you guys hear about the sony lawsuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you guys hear about the sony lawsuit?

apparantly they really screwed themselves this time
    insane
    I guess even if you disagree to their terms and conditions, you can still get items installed
    be very careful listening to a sony cd on you computer
    sony sued
    millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Yeah, they shot themselves in the foot, and set back DRM by years. This just renforces my view on digital DRM(useless).

Comment

yup.. thats been out for a while.. so much for me ever buying a sony cd again...
      Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

i havent bought a sony cd since i first heard about this.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

Those bastards.. probably do it for a few extra bucks as if they werent bringing in enough.
          *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

i never buy cds anymore, becuase of reasons like this(and im cheap)
            <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

what is the DRM? and how can it screw up your computer?
              Because i play alot of cds on my laptop and im sure at least one or two of them were sony. . . :mad:
              95 black 3.8 camaro, Intake, Pacesetters, Flowmaster 80 series, accel plugs and wires, B&M shift kit (eh could be better), hopefully a highflow cat soon. and a bunch of appearance mods.

Comment

its their stupid player
                apparantly it is the only thing that will play the sony cd's (on your computer)
                it puts a directory on your computer that will be ignored and is a potential vulnerability (a bad one)
                if you installed their player then you need to get the uninstaller
                if you never installed anything u should be fine
                millionformarriage.org

Comment

actually, the initial reports stated that the virus sony put on it's disks were auto installed, simply by loading the disk on your computer. That I think, is one of th main problems with what they did, as they didnt give their customers a chance to not install this virus.
                  Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

It isn't a virus. It's a DRM which gave the oppertunity for people to create viruses and hide them on your system. Last I heard the uninstall tool they offered also had a problem that allowed a potential security breach on your PC. That was probably a month ago though.

The worst part is sony does understand they are biting the hand that feeds them with stuff like this. The people who steal music couldn't care less what restrictions you are puttting on the CDs. The only people you are affecting are the people who actually purchased the product. If I bought a CD and wasn't allowed to copy it or put it on my iPod I would be beyond pissed.

Comment

Yeah, this is why I don't buy things.
                      99 WS6
                      13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
                      tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

i realize its not a virus.... but it might as well be. if anything, its more of a trojan... it opens a backdoor to allow an unwanted source to gain access to your computer. however sony didnt know what it was doing, rather it just jumped at the thought of being able to damage anyone's computer that was making copies of it's music. so it installed this "trojan" without knowing the consequences of their actions. now others besides sony can access this backdoor since sony doesnt care about trivial matters of online security and information theft and left the door open for everyone. i still say i'll never buy sony again.

Comment

Originally posted by camaroman1181:
                          actually, the initial reports stated that the virus sony put on it's disks were auto installed, simply by loading the disk on your computer. That I think, is one of th main problems with what they did, as they didnt give their customers a chance to not install this virus.
                          right this is what i heard also
                          even if you hit disagree to their terms and conditions it would still install
                          millionformarriage.org

Comment

It would install itself in a $abc$ directory. The $ in front of the directory name tells Windows that this is a system folder and will skip it while doing searches/could potentially hide it in Windows explorer.

After uninstalling the product, the $abc$ directory would stay. Hunting this down and removing it would (in cases) render your CD-ROM drive unseeable by windows.
                            <a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six</a> <br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/c_o_jones\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain</a></b><br />--This doesn\'t change the fact that I am ~The Guru~ who still kicks puppies...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X