Does road racing/autocrossing appeal to you? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does road racing/autocrossing appeal to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not too pricey... its rough ont eh tires, but drag strip is as well... As a non member in local clubs its $20-25 entry fee, and like $12-15 if you are a member. Drag strip is $15 here.

Brakes? autocrossing isn't too rough on brakes, road racing is...

Comment

I would love to do it once I get my cars running good (corvette doesn't count, it is for sale and only a pimping car).
      2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

Its great to have members that are so dedicated to the board that they become concerned when certain forums aren't moving like they should be... what would we do without them? :D

Comment

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
          Its not too pricey... its rough ont eh tires, but drag strip is as well... As a non member in local clubs its $20-25 entry fee, and like $12-15 if you are a member. Drag strip is $15 here.

Brakes? autocrossing isn't too rough on brakes, road racing is...
          Alright, go auto-cross with lacking tread on your fronts. Tell me how you do. :D

For how much tires cost alone strictly prohibits me from auto-crossing. That, and boiling my tranny fluid. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Road America 2-3 day event costs $350 when it's available. Is your auto-cross track in a parking lot?
          2002 NBM Firehawk #312 | <a href=\"http://hawk.visionsconnect.com\" target=\"_blank\">hawk.visionsconnect.com</a>

Comment

Just curious,

I mena I love the stuff, in my opinion alot more fun then drag racing(especially if you don't have money [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Takes alot of skill to figure it out and get the car to do what you want.

Thing is I don't really see many people here talk about it much and the autocrossing section, is dead!

Its not a "ricer" haven like you woudl think, hell there are more real cars at local autocrosses then at the dragstrips around here.

I am just curious what your guy's opinions are on it.
            I've been autocrossing for nearly 3 years now and it's still fun. [img]smile.gif[/img] Just recently got the camaro a few months back and it's a blast to drive on course - though it has more of a problem with the transitions than my Tacoma does (yes, I've been autocrossing my Toyota Tacoma for the past 2 years... :D ) Autocrossing isn't that hard on vehicles. A set of decent street tires will last between one and two seasons (that's what, 30+ events) and brake pads last just a little less than normal.

I just did a Track day recently at Texas World Speedway - now that is way more fun than autocrossing! Of course it is much more stressful on the car too. Romping through banked corners at 90+ mph puts a lot of stress on the outside front which you can feel pulling 2G's of force...it feels better than any rollercoaster I've been on :cool: ! I did find that camaro's do indeed need help with cooling the power steering fluid as it was boiling nearly every track session out. The stock brakes worked flawlessly with no fade at all (not sure what pads came with the car though) and the stock suspension with Koni dampers worked really well together.

Autocrossing is fun, inexpesive, and really teached you about car control.

Track days are awesome, kinda expensive (especially when you factor in hotel and food for a 2 day track event - though I got good deal at $185 for the TWS event [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] ), and teach you to trust the car (provided your car can be trusted).

I haven't been to the drag strip yet, but do plan to get a few baseline runs soon on the camaro before I make a few changes (Torsen differential and 3.73 rear gearing, suspension work, custom front-breather induction system, and custom aerodynamic changes to stock fenders and hood). To me, running in a straight line just doesn't seem like enough fun to keep doing it for a long term basis.

P.S. One cool thing about autocrossing, it's the reason a 3-rotor rotary powered Bugeye Sprite exists which is a 500+hp producing monster weighing something between 1,000-1,500lbs and corners better than a shifter kart - Now that is insane! You know you have power when you can spin Hoosier racing slicks at will...
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/vracer111\" target=\"_blank\">My \'98 Camaro</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.honda-tech.com/garage?cmd=viewcar&id=1223\" target=\"_blank\">My \'98 Tacoma</a>

Comment

Originally posted by hawgs:
              Its great to have members that are so dedicated to the board that they become concerned when certain forums aren't moving like they should be... what would we do without them? :D
              Didn't we make some kind of agreement about staying out of each other's posts? ...yeah I am bringing this up yet again... Trying to be a little bit adult about it but guess you cannot handle that.

I could careless how that section goes, its not my site, I am just bringing it up since, just about every autocross, I bring a friend out(usually an f-body guy) and they love it right off the bat. In life I try to go out and have fun, and enjoy times with my friends. Friend of mine I met over the internet got me into it and its a blast. Figure I would share the favor and spread the word.

Not ***** and moan about everything.

As for autocrosses, yes they are generally in parking lots, those are expensive, I know track days get really expensive, but there are a few a year that are not too bad, local club has 2 events a year at the Gainesville speedway test course, its a blast, long straight aways, and long sweeping turns, where you can get the tail to hang out for a bit. A big blast. Entrance fees are usually between $40 and $50. Its in gainesville but I get out of hotels just spend the weekend and party with friends I have up at UF.
              http://www.gainesvilleraceway.com/test_track.html

As for autocrossing on bald tires, not going to be competitive but its still fun, and I have done it before... Best is when it rains... sort of turns the tables on the gusy with race tires vs. guys with street tirs [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I think that auto-x and road racing are infinitely more entertaining to watch. I don't know about how much fun they are to run (since I haven't), but they look like a blast. I'd never do it with my daily driver due to the beating your tires and suspension take, but I'd love to have a toy (Miata, anyone?) to hit the auto-x with.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabe:
                  I think that auto-x and road racing are infinitely more entertaining to watch. I don't know about how much fun they are to run (since I haven't), but they look like a blast. I'd never do it with my daily driver due to the beating your tires and suspension take, but I'd love to have a toy (Miata, anyone?) to hit the auto-x with.
                  An autocross really isn't that bad on the suspension, I mean honestly overall, I will say drag racing is a million times worse, because you "shock" the motor and drivetrain, in an autocross, you transition the the wieght back and forth. As for tires, they do wear faster but its no as rediculous as one woudl think.

And it is much more fun to do. Its amazing how fast you feel like you are going.

Comment

mustangeater... i am too lazy to do a search, but from what i gather, auto x is like a rally event but on the street? yes, no? can you explain a bit?
                    seriously
                    92 25th rally sport garage baby, 97 30th rally sport, 01 camaro garage baby. obsessive compulsive camaro fan. id rather push a camaro then drive a rice burner.

Comment

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hawgs:
                      Didn't we make some kind of agreement about staying out of each other's posts? ...yeah I am bringing this up yet again... Trying to be a little bit adult about it but guess you cannot handle that. </font>[/QUOTE]How about you stop spamming my email account then?

Comment

Originally posted by john rocco:
                        mustangeater... i am too lazy to do a search, but from what i gather, auto x is like a rally event but on the street? yes, no? can you explain a bit?
                        seriously
                        Its pretty much a open parking lot type of place. Jsut a big slab of concrete. And a course is set up with cones, you drive the course, and obviously try and go as fast as possible, but if you hit a cone you get a time penalty added to your time, so you cannot get too reckless and have to stay on course. Its generally low speeds, almost never even get in 3rd, occasionally ride 2nd out to the top end of it. But when you are doing it the course setup usually changes and moves so fast, you are fighting to keep the car in line and not lose control. And lets say you push the car a little to far and spin out(which does happen), nothing around to hit you

Here is a getting started guide, and the FAQ, is kind of useful.
                        http://www.autocross.com/autoc/started.htm

Comment

Well, if you're referring to Evolution School ($200 for an all day class on becoming a better autocross driver), it's worth the money. The $200 you spend there will drop more time off your runs than any mod you can possibly buy.

Tires, yeah, those add up. I race on my street tires and go through a set every six months between street driving and 2 events each month. Brakes hold up pretty well, since they get a chance to cool down between runs.

Track days are more expensive (but a _lot_ more seat time) and harder on the tires and brakes, but a complete blast.

-Jeff

Originally posted by epic:
                          You need a LOT of money to auto-cross.

I checked out some "beginner courses" and damn, I could get a nice mod for my car with how much entry costs.
                          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

I think it looks cool and I would like to do it.... but if I do then I'll sink MORE $$$$ into another activity.

One day I'll do it.

I need a spare car to do it though... one that is manual and I don't care if I mess up the body.

Add a 2nd SEXY neon to the stabel???
                            Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                            nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                            2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                            2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

I absolutly LOVE AutoX!!!! I went in July for the first time and I was instantly hooked! I would've been going my 2nd time, but it happens that the next race day is on the same day I move into college :rolleyes:

I just wish I had a manual trans car instead.
                              --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

I was never interested in it until I picked up this IS300 and realized that some cars really can handle curves nicely [img]smile.gif[/img] Guess I might try it out someday.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X