Building a LS1 to 450WRHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a LS1 to 450WRHP

This is something I plan on doing in about 3 years, I want to get a higher milage LS1 with the 4l60e tranny, will rebuild the tranny with a Trango shift kit, corvette servo and probably 3500-4000 stall . How much can a stock tranny hold? Also rebuilding the LS1 engine , Forged pistons, maybe a little more compression, clevlite 77 bearings throughout the engine, Going to do heads also need to know what heads are the best? Cam I want to have nice street matters since I'm probably not going to race it. Another parts wil be headers, I found some shorties because my car is low and I don't want to scape everything. It going to be a 2002 LS1 with Auto trans can get one together for $3000 to $5000. Heads Ive priced at $1200 but don't know which is the best. Then intake I want somthing more than than the LS6 it comes with, thinking about a Fast intake haven't priced it out yet. I'll have $18,000 to do this , I priced out some stuff like forged piston kit was $1000, cam around 400 , also what about the rearend will it hold 400-450 hp I have 3.73 gears with a T/A gridle. Ill be having a shop do the rebuilding on the engine and tranny and install. All I want to know is what goes with what and makes the best LS1 engine even if it is below 450 wrhp, no power adders just motor. Thanks,
    Last edited by ssms5411; 10-27-2017, 10:59 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

you don't need to touch the bottom end to get 450rwhp out of the LS1 - a well spec'd custom cam and heads will be more than enough. There are guys running 10's cam only in them if you go aggressive enough.

I personally wouldn't go with a high milage LS1 - especially because it is likely to have had a hard life...go with a low mileage 5.3l if you really want to do the swap- cheaper and you can get them coming with 330hp from the scrap yards.

look into a ford 8.8/9 rear end, heads, cam, 5.3 and you'll more than meet your goal with reliability and without having to spend anywhere close to your budget.

However, I personally would keep your turbo car because you can massage your turbo car for far less to be just as fast or faster than what you'll build

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thats good to know about the bottom end. All I can find is high mileage ls1's, really don't want the 5.3, dont know anything about them. Looking at Perfom built for transmission and stall. Rearend should be good if i don't take it to the track. Then ill look for a rearend. When that comes around. Just looking for the heads at the moment, theirs alot of options. I will be going with a tubular k of course since the rest is already done. This is still so far away, hope the 3.8 can last anothet 3-5 years.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The only way i would keep it turbocharged is if i had FF turbo headers, maybe ill see if i can find someone to make some, i already have the turbo and accessories. Also the turbo cam st5. Just an idea.

Comment

So made some e-mails, to Cartunning to see if they still sell their kit, should be interesting to see. Also ill see if i can get Zzperformamce Alm. Heads , they look outstanding. Will spend about half of what a ls1 build would be. I guess will see what happens. Im going to go ahead and have my cousin do the ST5 cam install and double roller this next year.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 11-03-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Yeah LS1s are getting cheap now. You can buy a decent one for less than 5k now.

I found one with 85k at 5500 once.
            Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 11-03-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Well got word back from Kevin at cartunning, $2500 for the hotside. Looks like ill see if i can have some made, Peak boost said $1500 but that was almost 6 years ago, ill see what they say this coming week.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                3 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X