stick a fork in it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stick a fork in it

might as well shut down posting for this place and make it read only, i havent been here in 2 weeks and it appears ive missed out on about 8 posts total. the last hot spot for anything, the lounge.... 2 weeks since anyone said a word even here.

it was a good run i guess, but this thing is done. its a shame the site community has faded to this, so anyone whos left here that wants to keep in contact might as well hit me up on facebook and shoot me a friend request or post yours up and ill shoot whoever one, that way theres atleast some semblance of a v6 knowledge base left to lean on if anyone needs it. ive got several of you and some of the old school dudes too and help when i can on the v6fbody facebook group as well. so yea, i guess im back to the shadows now

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Re: stick a fork in it

I feel like its really gone downhill about the last year and a half. To bad I guess, but I suppose all good things come to an end.
    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Unfortunately, I think it's only natural for activity on this site to fade over time. This site caters to a very limited niche that is only growing smaller and smaller, the v6 crowd in particular. I still check here every couple of days and chime in when I have something to offer, but even so, I don't have updates on my project very often and others are the same way. When I do need something, this site is my first reference before I google it or ask elsewhere, but there's few questions to be asked anymore as most have been answered in the past and a quick search will yield the results you're looking for. Rarely do I check ftv6, but the f-body activity there has dwindled significantly as well. We drive cars that are 13 or more years old, less and less are being driven and fewer people have the desire to do anything to them. It's even hard to sell any parts for these cars anymore. I have a few things that have been listed here and on ebay for months with very few interest.
      aka FreedStyle
      Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
      2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

no, this place should be booming. its a top 6 google search result (or used to be anyways, no idea now) the 5th gen has been out for nearly 5 years and people are modding the lights out of them. but where are they all at? ls1 tech, camaro5.com etc. the refusal to bring that crowd here killed this site, well, that and absentee ownership for the most part. i see robert still being active on his end, but steve hasnt been seen since june. i appreciate that he keeps the lights on by renewing the domain and ****, but as an owner of such a thing you should be more active. i get he has a busy life, thats fine, but if thats the case, hand it over to robert entirely or one of us who have put 10-14 years into this thing to build it back up from the ashes and make it relevant again. the tech sections should be on fire with people looking to either build something new or fix something they broke while doing it. ill never buy into the argument that this is a niche site. thats bull****. more v6s are on the road today than v8s between 4th and 5th gen. the v8 sites have chugged along just fine as they always have. i know this is all for naught, but i figured id throw my last 2 cents in before i wash my hands of it and disappear like so many others have over the past year. watching this site fade away for me would be like watching my kid make terrible choices over and over after trying to keep them on the right path and it finally catching up with them and they die far to young because of it. ive spent years helping people in the forums, in the old chat room we had, across every instant messaging service there was. built friendships with some of the people here that have continued for years outside of this place after they moved on. i still after all these years talk to several people on a pretty regular basis about just life in general outside of cars. i want others to have that type of experience to learn, connect and make those types of memories thru this place but theres no way that can happen with the way this thing is going. the whole "well this is a tech site" argument is invalid, yea it is and thru that its also a social site just as much as facebook (if not more so than facebook) is weather anyone wants to admit to that or not.

i know im just going on a rant and its probably going to just fall on deaf ears for the most part for anyone that reads this (if it even gets read at all at this point outside of the few people left) but i figured id make what will probably be one of my last posts here worth typing and make one last plea to someone, anyone to get this place back on track or hand it over to someone with the vision to get it there before this is nothing more than a "404 error, site cannot be found" message.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

Yeah, it sucks that all the forums are fading out and I always try and post links to question asked on Facebook, even though I believe half of them never view the links.

Comment

Hey guys, don't shut the doors!!! I'm new here and only a few posts. Just bought my 00 a little over 6 months ago and working on a new build that I know I'll be looking for advice on. I do check this site at least once a week to see what is going on or get an idea. Lots of outstanding information here, and V6 specific!

Comment

Bib, I get what you're saying. I remember how active this place was when I first joined a few years ago, and by the sounds of it, this site was significantly more popular before my time. I understand that people move on or take different directions with their lives, but it would be nice to bring in more new faces. As to why so few new people join, I wish I had an answer..
              aka FreedStyle
              Chaddrich Freed

Comment

I love this website. Been here since when it first started in May 2001, but left in 2004 and didn't return till 2010 when I acquired a 2.8 Bird.

We still get new members here and there and it's always good to see updates and upgrades from members here. I hope it stays up.

Comment

I don't know if this was just a random issue, or if it's just more to add to the list of things that could be addressed... but I got an email that my supporting membership expires on the 29th so I tried to renew my subscription this morning and got an error message from paypal stating that "there was a problem with the merchants account". I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume that I just stumbled into something that's in the process of being resolved, but I can't help but wonder considering where this site has gone over the last year or so.
                  aka FreedStyle
                  Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                    Bib, I get what you're saying. I remember how active this place was when I first joined a few years ago, and by the sounds of it, this site was significantly more popular before my time. I understand that people move on or take different directions with their lives, but it would be nice to bring in more new faces. As to why so few new people join, I wish I had an answer..
                    With how cheap the V8 cars have gotten there isn't much point in modding the V6 cars anymore.

I mod mine because for track use it is still much cheaper than a V8 car.

Comment

I hope the site stays up, I'm a few months away of adding my ST5 cam and 3500 stall. Then putting the turbo back on, would be nice to have somewhere to post my results.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        I hope the site stays up, I'm a few months away of adding my ST5 cam and 3500 stall. Then putting the turbo back on, would be nice to have somewhere to post my results.
                        It's not going anywhere.

Every week I approve new members.
                        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Robert, do you know anything about the paypal situation for the supporting member donations? I'd like to not lose all my PM's and extra stuff.
                          aka FreedStyle
                          Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                            might as well shut down posting for this place and make it read only, i havent been here in 2 weeks and it appears ive missed out on about 8 posts total. the last hot spot for anything, the lounge.... 2 weeks since anyone said a word even here.

it was a good run i guess, but this thing is done. its a shame the site community has faded to this, so anyone whos left here that wants to keep in contact might as well hit me up on facebook and shoot me a friend request or post yours up and ill shoot whoever one, that way theres atleast some semblance of a v6 knowledge base left to lean on if anyone needs it. ive got several of you and some of the old school dudes too and help when i can on the v6fbody facebook group as well. so yea, i guess im back to the shadows now
                            Fire me yours in a PM - I'll add ya

Even LS1tech has slowed down- albeit not this much...but I remember posting things on that site and coming back 2 hours later to find it on the 2nd or 3rd page lol - so many people were posting new threads it was wild over there... Even here

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                              Robert, do you know anything about the paypal situation for the supporting member donations? I'd like to not lose all my PM's and extra stuff.
                              Nope - that is Steve.

Remember - Steve owns camarov6.com - I own firebirdv6.com.

The Messageboard is on camarov6.com - the "supporting member" donations help with the cost to Steve.
                              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X