Better gas mileage for the 6.0 liter - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better gas mileage for the 6.0 liter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better gas mileage for the 6.0 liter

I'm trying to get some better gas mileage out of my 2008 Silverado 6.0 4X4 with 3.73 gears. So far I've done 3" Dynomax muffler and dual 2.5" tips, K&N intake, I have Hptuners but haven't touched the timing since I run 87 octane and has a Snug top cover for the bed(no wind drag). I get 15 MPG for mixed highway and city driving. I thought about headers and also thought about getting a Wideband and see if its running rich or not so I can lean it out. The stock timing is pretty much right on the mark since when I first got it I tried adding a couple of degrees timing and it would get KR, so I turned it back to stock timing. I think I'm stuck on getting the wideband and seeing if I can lean it out. Any other suggestions to get better gas mileage out of this beast.LOL
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Re: Better gas mileage for the 6.0 liter

When you tried adding timing what gears did you have? My ls1 had tons of knock in the factory tune with 2.73's because the gears didnt like heavy load at low rpm / tip in...once I went 3.73 the tune I had in there literally relieved itself of 90% of the knock the car has...the other 9% is likely now due to the Y pipe hitting the floor (as you can hear it and see the gauge flashing) and the other 1% of the time is likely due to actual knock

Work over the decel tables you can gain quite a bit out of those

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I think you are getting as good as it can get.
      Six Liters is a big engine in 2014 plus the weight.
      Phil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
        When you tried adding timing what gears did you have? My ls1 had tons of knock in the factory tune with 2.73's because the gears didnt like heavy load at low rpm / tip in...once I went 3.73 the tune I had in there literally relieved itself of 90% of the knock the car has...the other 9% is likely now due to the Y pipe hitting the floor (as you can hear it and see the gauge flashing) and the other 1% of the time is likely due to actual knock

Work over the decel tables you can gain quite a bit out of those
        It came factory with 3.73's, the timing tables are pretty high for stock, When I added a few degrees it was a audible knock so I know it didn't like it. I think I'm going to add the wideband and see where the air/fuel is at. I didn't buy the truck for its gas mileage so I guess I get what I get out of it. Thankfully it has a 26 gallon tank so I get little over 300 miles to a tank.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Maybe deduct the 2 cylinders. ;)

Yeah, it's very hard to improve the mpg on big trucks. Probably the best thing is to just do the supporting mods like you have done already in order to make it more efficient and leave the tire size stock. Probably look into getting hotter plugs and high po wires and ignition.

Comment

get a Ram 1500. Ever sense they went back to summer gas, and decent restraint on the right foot, I've been getting 19.2 mixed in the truck. 4x4 Crew Cab w/low roll tonneau cover
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

I like my Ext. cab Silverado with the 6.0 liter, I test drove a Silverado 5.3 crew cab but compared to the 6.0 it seemed really slow. I don't drive much so I'm not going to get rid of it. I fill it up maybe once a month. Its been a outstanding truck haven't had to replace anything on it except for tires, battery and brakes in over the 3 years I've had it and it has 52,000 miles on it. I'll go with the wideband and do some tunning and see what happens. What engine size is your Ram 1500?

Comment

you fill it up once a month and you're worried about gas mileage??? lol Damn it Steve!!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                  you fill it up once a month and you're worried about gas mileage??? lol Damn it Steve!!

LOL, Just trying to get the most out of it, thats still $80-$90 a tank. I fill the Camaro once a year. You could say I don't drive much.LOL
                  Last edited by ssms5411; 06-07-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sac2165
                    15 MPG is pretty good. My '14 6.0L got 11.5 MPG off the lot, and now 10.5 MPG with 295 tires and a leveling kit.

I've also got an '05 5.3L, definitely a lot more pep, and more fun to drive.
                    Wow, I guess it could be worse. Mine came with chrome 18" rims I think their 265/65/18 tires. How do you like the leveling kit? How much was it? Thats what I was planning or even a 3" lift, I know I don't want to mess with the steering so I'm not going to go crazy with it.

Comment

Very nice looking truck, I like the stance and the flares look great. I think I know what lift I want now. Black was my first choice but the dealership I went to didn't have any used trucks in black so I got the stealth grey Silverado which looks bluish in color rather than grey. The reason I like my truck is that its still a 1500 Silverado ext. cab with the 6.0 , I don't see alot of 1500's with the 6.0, it usually the 2500 like yours with the 6.0.

Comment

Slam it to the ground for more MPG! Lol!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X